Banter 2021 Off-Topic Chat Thread - PART II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Do they each get half a gold medal? Do they create a new gold medal? How can you have two gold medalists in a system which awards silver and bronze to second and third? Why doesn't every athlete/team that gets to the final/playoff just agree to share the gold?
Fair point. Can’t see how you can just decide to get one gold each. Makes no sense.

I don't get it. Do they each get half a gold medal? Do they create a new gold medal? How can you have two gold medalists in a system which awards silver and bronze to second and third? Why doesn't every athlete/team that gets to the final/playoff just agree to share the gold?

It's bullshit. Should have had a jump off.

Feels good to post again after a weeks suspension!

As usual the banter turned out to be a bit too spicy for Richmond to handle!

which thread did you get banned in and on which board?

Go Catters

I remember reading about something similar that happened years ago, and the two people involved agreed to cut their medals in half and fuse them together so they had a half gold, half silver medal (although in that instance I think it was half silver, half bronze). Maybe they decided to do something similar.

I remember reading about something similar that happened years ago, and the two people involved agreed to cut their medals in half and fuse them together so they had a half gold, half silver medal (although in that instance I think it was half silver, half bronze). Maybe they decided to do something similar.

quick google:

On their return to Japan, Nishida and Oe famously had their Olympic medals cut in half, and had a jeweler splice together two new “friendship medals”, half in bronze and half in silver.

EeZnMRYU8AACAfr.png

Was the pole vault.

Fair point. Can’t see how you can just decide to get one gold each. Makes no sense.
The 2 high jumpers had matched the other at each height with neither missing a jump until the last height - so a count back wasn't going to split them

The official spoke to them about a jump off to determine the gold and they each declined

This story helps explain why the 2 made that approach

The 2 high jumpers had matched the other at each height with neither missing a jump until the last height - so a count back wasn't going to split them

The official spoke to them about a jump off to determine the gold and they each declined

This story helps explain why the 2 made that approach

Then why don't they go to the next height? I thought that would be the normal occurrence until a winner is found. How is it the athletes choice here? Seems very strange that they get to make the call. Of course they will refuse a jump off, because there is zero incentive for them to do it. They both can't lose if they refuse to do it.

Are the basketball teams in the final going to refuse overtime if the game is drawn after 4 quarters, so they all get medals? :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why don't they go to the next height? I thought that would be the normal occurrence until a winner is found. How is it the athletes choice here? Seems very strange that they get to make the call. Of course they will refuse a jump off, because there is zero incentive for them to do it. They both can't lose if they refuse to do it.

Are the basketball teams in the final going to refuse overtime if the game is drawn after 4 quarters, so they all get medals? :drunk:
They both cleared everything to 2.37m and then both failed on their 3 attempts at 2.39m

That would mean a count back to determine the winner, but the count back was useless in this situation - they were both flawless on all heights from 2.19m to 2.37m, meaning they were sitting in equal first

Guess they could have kept them jumping all night, but they may not have got anywhere

I used to jump ok playing footy but was never any good at flopping backwards for high jump. Just insane that they are jumping over Sandilands + 26cm on top.

Last night Starc cleared 2.35m which would have got him a medal at every Olympics starting in Sydney, but he finished 5th last night

He's attempts at 2.39m is more than 50cm above his height - on wiki he's listed as 1.88m

They both cleared everything to 2.37m and then both failed on their 3 attempts at 2.39m

That would mean a count back to determine the winner, but the count back was useless in this situation - they were both flawless on all heights from 2.19m to 2.37m, meaning they were sitting in equal first

Guess they could have kept them jumping all night, but they may not have got anywhere
That makes much more sense. If that's as high as they can go, and they have attempted to go higher and both failed, then they are equal. The previous tweet made no reference to a further attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back