AFLW 2021 List management & trade stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

It is very sad reading. Apart from Dempsey and McLelland none of these players will get a game next year. Molan is a bigger bust than Fiora and Tambling. The list management at Richmond womens team is equivalent to the mens team from 20 years ago.

I think the one pick that sums up Richmond's first draft, was LT (as recruiting manager) picking herself with the last pick.

Leading into the 2017 season, that might have been forgiveable, as everything was in a rush.

Leading into 2020, that reeked of an amateur operation, when Richmond should have been more professional (especially with the benefit of already seeing what other clubs had done).

Personally, I would either taken a developing youngster, or if leaning towards experience, I would have taken Shae Audley.

At the time, Audley (after being delisted by Carlton) was coming off a Top 3 club BnF finish with Essendon in the VFLW.
Although she would have played a similar role to Mon Conti, at the time, Conti was going to miss the first part of the season due to basketball commitments.
Audley would have been satisfactory cover, plus with the combination of experience and being a mad Tigers supporter, would have helped with setting the early culture of the team.

I think the one pick that sums up Richmond's first draft, was LT (as recruiting manager) picking herself with the last pick.
Not really, not at all. It was the one pick in which Lauren Tesoriero took a backseat and left the ultimate call up to Sheahan and Hunter, so it was nothing like how they approached the rest of the draft.

It is very sad reading. Apart from Dempsey and McLelland none of these players will get a game next year. Molan is a bigger bust than Fiora and Tambling. The list management at Richmond womens team is equivalent to the mens team from 20 years ago.
In hindsight, we should have picked Elisabeth Georgostathis instead of Sophie Molan.

So that is the coach and (co-)captain moving on in one fell swoop for the Suns.

I have a feeling they'll look to wear the pain for a couple of years and expand to a "full" league. The girls coming through the development programs and are, for the most part, holding their own against older players. So while the overall quality may stagnate for a couple of years, after that the league should be the stronger. The AFL's financial position may dictate otherwise though. Up to 5 clubs would indicate the 4 prospective expansion teams plus (I'm assuming) concessions for Gold Coast. Any concessions for current clubs could, I suppose, impact expansion numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think I've made a pretty strong case in that^ thread for why more teams in 2022 is extremely unlikely.

And I'm just as confident that the "concessions for as many as FIVE clubs on the agenda" is regarding the already-included expansion teams, sans North Melbourne.

I could see Port Adelaide and Sydney coming in next year. Vic Clubs you would expect 2023 or later.
Looking like West Coast will end up with the first 2x WA picks in the draft.
I don’t understand the Sydney talk.

You would likely end up with two NSW teams on par with Gold Coast.

I think it’s to do with their academy, although I’m not sure when the bulk is due to reach maturity
Sydney might have a good academy, but it wouldn’t change the fact that you would be weakening a non finalist team in GWS, if Sydney get to pick off 8 players, even if they’re not the top players.

Sydney might have a good academy, but it wouldn’t change the fact that you would be weakening a non finalist team in GWS, if Sydney get to pick off 8 players, even if they’re not the top players.
This, although if GWS can't make finals in the next couple of years that might happen anyway.

Didn't aardvark or someone say that the Sydney women's facilities are also a couple of years away and the Swans want that finished first? They might not be that keen on jumping in half-baked.

This, although if GWS can't make finals in the next couple of years that might happen anyway.

Didn't aardvark or someone say that the Sydney women's facilities are also a couple of years away and the Swans want that finished first? They might not be that keen on jumping in half-baked.
Tom Harley said..... “We are working feverishly to get that back on board and satisfy our facility challenges – that is a primary concern for us and that’s one of the key planks for our entry in the AFLW.”

I think that whenever there is an expansion it will cause problems. The longer we leave it the harder it will be for the new teams to catch up. Allow them all in now then over the next few years level the strength of the clubs out with Drafting concessions and priority pics then let natural selection occur as it does in the Men's comp. Adding new teams will always dilute the talent pool no matter when it occurs.

P.S. and I'm not just saying that because I want a Sydney team in yesterday!

I don’t understand the Sydney talk.

You would likely end up with two NSW teams on par with Gold Coast.
If you happened to watch the U/19 Championships this week you will have noticed the Allies have 8 players from the GWS Academy and 6 from the Swans Academy. These girls all have one thing in common,they can play footy. GWS will be like the kid left in the lolly shop come Draft day. Just imagine GWS with another 3 or 4 Alyce Parkers running around next year. Think of the current uproar re the NSW mens Academies, that will be the Womens in a few years.
The Swans currently have 40 U/19s and 40 U/17s in their Academy. In the younger age groups Nick Davis, Micky "O"and Kirky have daughters who have been training for two to three years. By the time they are old enough they will have trained in an elite environment for 5-6 years. How scary is that?

Last edited:
If you happened to watch the U/19 Championships this week you will have noticed the Allies have 8 players from the GWS Academy and 6 from the Swans Academy. These girls all have one thing in common,they can play footy. GWS will be like the kid left in the lolly shop come Draft day. Just imagine GWS with another 3 or 4 Alyce Parkers running around next year. Think of the current uproar re the NSW mens Academies, that will be the Womens in a few years.
The Swans currently have 40 U/19s and 40 U/17s in their Academy. In the younger age groups Nick Davis, Micky "O"and Kirky have daughters who have been training for two to three years. By the time they are old enough they will have trained in an elite environment for 5-6 years. How scary is that?
That’s great for Sydney.

But that also totally ignores what I was saying.

Sydney will need a core group of senior players to build around. Are there enough to split between GWS and Sydney, and both teams remain competitive

It also ignores that not every girl in the academy makes it, or is ready for AFLW from day one.

Our top draft pick from last year’s draft, Zimmy Farquharson, hasn’t been able to crack our team this year, and she was a gun at junior level, talked about since she was 15.

Curious if you know which northern academy teams have been the strongest at U18/U19 level in recent years?

Just like father sons, not every kid from a past great is guaranteed to make it.

Sydney will need a core group of senior players to build around. Are there enough to split between GWS and Sydney, and both teams remain competitive?

The honest answer is I wouldn't have a clue but I think that situation is not going to change much in two to three years so may as well find out now.

Curious if you know which northern academy teams have been the strongest at U18/U19 level in recent years?

Sorry can't help there but it wouldn't have been Sydney. Qld U/19 play Vic Country 23 May and Vic Metro 29 May if you're interested. They will probably be streamed.

I watched Farquharson play in the champs last year and wasn't overly impressed. The girls running around this year seem a level higher but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back