List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit concerned about Van Rooyen, he seems to have strange height growth oscillations between 193 and 195 - that can’t be healthy in a young fellow.
Reality, it is just great that draft night is no longer the highlight of the year. Welcome Jacob.

Very happy with the choice. I prefer him as a defender but the recruiters see him as a forward. I actually think he is a bit of Tom McDonald. Take that as you wish lol. But a 194cm key forward with strength and aggression that can play in defence if need be. Yes please!!!

I like that we had the pick before the pick we gave to Brisbane last year, and have convinced myself on exactly nil evidence or even suggestion that we took the player they desperately wanted just before they could. I have zero desire to learn of the factual accuracy of that second bit.

Also like that we could do that because we had the second last pick of the first round ie the ‘GF loser pick’. Best of both worlds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay which do we think was worse:

Melbourne:
  • 2007 - pick 4 for Cale Morton, pick 14 for Jack Grimes
  • 2008 - pick 1 for Watts
  • 2009 - picks 1 and 2 for Scully and Trengove, pick 12 for Gysberts
  • 2010 - pick 12 for Lucas Cook
  • 2011 - pick 12 for Mitch Clark
  • 2012 - pick 3s and 4 for Hogan and Toumpas
  • 2013 - pick 2 for Tyson and Salem
versus

Collingwood:
  • 2013 - pick 6 and 10 for Matthew Schadenberg and Nathan Freeman
  • 2014 - pick 5 for De Goey
  • 2015 - pick 7 for Treloar
  • 2016 - pick 7 for Treloar
  • 2017 - pick 6 for Stephenson
  • 2018 - pick 18 for Beams
  • 2019 - pick 18 for Beams
  • 2020 - future first rounder (pick 2) for two second rounders
Ours looks marginally worse…but only because of the three pick 12s from 2009-2011 I think. Left out guys like Strauss, Tapscott and Maroc for us but they probably have similar misses. De Goey, Treloar and Stephenson all played in a GF loss for Collingwood but I think I’d take not having made that GF over the drama/cultural implosion associated with those three. Freeman played zero games for them post draft, Beams nine post trade. Bit of Lucas Cook + Mitch Clark to it, except even we never ****ed anything up as badly as they did with Beams. Their record on top 10 picks alone is somehow worse than ours IMO. I’m not even sure I’d trade Salem alone for all of their garbage.

Last edited:
Okay which do we think was worse:

Melbourne:
  • 2007 - pick 4 for Cale Morton, pick 14 for Jack Grimes
  • 2008 - pick 1 for Watts
  • 2009 - picks 1 and 2 for Scully and Trengove, pick 12 for Gysberts
  • 2010 - pick 12 for Lucas Cook
  • 2011 - pick 12 for Mitch Clark
  • 2012 - pick 3s and 4 for Hogan and Toumpas
  • 2013 - pick 2 for Tyson and Salem
versus

Collingwood:
  • 2013 - pick 6 and 10 for Matthew Schadenberg and Nathan Freeman
  • 2014 - pick 5 for De Goey
  • 2015 - pick 7 for Treloar
  • 2016 - pick 7 for Treloar
  • 2017 - pick 6 for Stephenson
  • 2018 - pick 18 for Beams
  • 2019 - pick 18 for Beams
  • 2020 - future first rounder (pick 2) for two second rounders
Ours looks marginally worse…but only because of the three pick 12s from 2009-2011 I think. Left out guys like Strauss, Tapscott and Maroc for us but they probably have similar misses. De Goey, Treloar and Stephenson all played in a GF loss for Collingwood but I think I’d take not having made that GF over the drama/cultural implosion associated with those three. Freeman played zero games for them post draft, Beams nine post trade. Bit of Lucas Cook + Mitch Clark to it, except even we never f’ed anything up as badly as they did with Beams. Their record on top 10 picks alone is somehow worse than ours IMO. I’m not even sure I’d trade Salem alone for all of their garbage.
The issue from 2008-12 isn’t just the firsts - it’s that we detonated whole drafts. The only two players from that bracket who were of value for the flag were Gawn and TMac. Through our own incompetence we got nothing from the rest, either from direct value to the side or from trade.

JT mentioned in a piece prior to the draft that we'd look to move up from 17. Any idea who we had our eyes on?

Notwithstanding, very happy with JVR. Looks like he has really strong hands above his head, and has come on in the second half of the year following a bout of glandular fever.

JT mentioned in a piece prior to the draft that we'd look to move up from 17. Any idea who we had our eyes on?

Notwithstanding, very happy with JVR. Looks like he has really strong hands above his head, and has come on in the second half of the year following a bout of glandular fever.

Pretty sure it was Wilmot. Delighted to get JVR. Drafting for needs is a luxury. Interesting Howes, Goater weren't picked up. Wonder if we still try and move up somehow over the next 12 hours

van Rooyen adds much needed depth in the KP department, wouldn't be surprised he is moulded as a defender considering we don't have much after Tomlinson/Petty/Smith

Already 91kg which is a plus

Forwards - B Brown, M Brown, Daw, Weideman, McDonald, Jackson
Defenders - May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson, Smith

Very happy with van Rooyen. He was the one I wanted who was around the range. Looks a good player and a key forward is what we need depth in.

Agree, with McDonald and Brown getting on - and May too as van Rooyen seems a prospect at either end - it’s one of two obvious list needs in the medium term.

Now for a project ruck.

I’m not too concerned about small defenders, there are lots of players with the physical attributes that can be developed into effective small defenders.

Key position and ruck sized players are just so much rarer in the general population.

van Rooyen adds much needed depth in the KP department, wouldn't be surprised he is moulded as a defender considering we don't have much after Tomlinson/Petty/Smith

Already 91kg which is a plus

Forwards - B Brown, M Brown, Daw, Weideman, McDonald, Jackson
Defenders - May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson, Smith

I'm pretty sure JT said he was recruited as a forward, but that can easily change quickly. Picking a guy like that who has shown ability at both ends and trying to work out where to fit him in is a nice problem to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back