24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

He would be a great pick up , but hopefully we can pick up Ben King for our next big money signing.
The current mids we have are still developing and hopefully they are our backbone for years to come.
With Steele showing he is a quality midfielder and not just a stopper - he could well get even better.
Having Brad Crouch could well be the piece we have been craving and if he can stay injury free he could be a force for many years to come and at 27 could well be at top of his game for the next 3 to 5 yrs.
Hopefully they will be the mainstays of our developing midfield in Gresham , Hunter Clark , Bytel.
We have Ross , Jones , Hannebery , Higgins and even Coffield could be used in the future and of course we have Byrne who could turn out to be a good one as well.

Knowing we have 2 aging key defenders in Carlisle and Frawley they could well line up a young big defender if Clavarino doesn't cut it - this year will be critical for Oscar.

Our other spot is another ruckman because Ryder is a great player but age gets everyone and at 33 we would be expecting to much to think he will be around to much longer - Marshall will be our ruckman if anything happens to Paddy but we need to get more than a back up ruckman.

I just can't see King coming to be honest. He probably isn't the highest priority as a KPF and probably doesn't want to play CHB. GC are looking like a destination club with a big group of similarly aged kids.

So Skunk is an "unrestricted" FA this year.

We're going to have to get our chequebook out this year.
I really don't think so. Players will be loathe to jump ship at this point.
Sure, other clubs will come for him and offer more than Stkilda but only contending VIC clubs will possibly be in consideration and who of them is more appealing than us right now?

1613276635187.png

Interesting to see who for us is out of contract come years end. For me it would look something like this

Must Keep
- Wilkie
- Butler
- Clark
- Billings
- Coffield

Should Keep
-Sinclair
-Ross
-Membery
-Ryder
-Jones

See How They Go
- Geary
- Connolly
- Dunstan
- Wood
- Clav
- McKernan

Let Go
- Joyce
- Kent
- Roberton
- Alabakis

if it was up to me i'd be doing more of what we have done to date:
- Category 1: bring in mature leaders to replace those leaving and or to address leadership/experience/gaps (ryder, hanners, frawley, mckernan)
- Category 2: bring in players in their prime with an aim to immediately improve the best for the next 3-5 seasons (crouch, hill)
- Category 3: bring in younger players with an upward trajectory to improve the best 22 in the longer term (jones, butler, howard, higgins)

whilst moving on those that stagnate and have always teased us for form. i would like us to hit the draft early to mid-round again, but this might be harder to achieve given our ladder position unless we gamble on next years first. but we can achieve this with things like the higgins trade.

the needs for mine in order of preference:
1) match-winning inside mid who can go forward (this will never change until we get one, Steele upward trajectory might mean it is him),
2) Ruck to address issues with Ryder. we can't go the draft here, ruckmen take forever.
3) KPD to address issues with Carlisle/Frawley. unlikely to be able to go the draft here unless we go Cat 1 for the short term and the draft longer term. FA might be the go here, given defenders seems to be easier to get.

Ryder might have another 2-3 seasons in him it could be 1. it's a year by year proposition and eventually we are gonna have to make the call, as much as i love him.

Carlisle/Frawley more band-aid solutions IMO but we have some options we can play with to cover them, albeit not ideal.

given the club has been pretty bold and to the point about making calls on Players I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some likeable players who never truly hit their potential get time called at the Saints or shoot off under Free Agency

these will be guys >= 24 who have been in the best 22 that just never really hit consistency, think of players like Newnes, Bruce, Acres, Longer, Hickey, Weller etc.

i'm super excited for what 2021 will bring in terms of how our season goes, the growth we have to reach internally and also what we can attract to the club

View attachment 1057704

Interesting to see who for us is out of contract come years end. For me it would look something like this

Must Keep
- Wilkie
- Butler
- Clark
- Billings
- Coffield

Should Keep
-Sinclair
-Ross
-Membery
-Ryder
-Jones

See How They Go
- Geary
- Connolly
- Dunstan
- Wood
- Clav
- McKernan

Let Go
- Joyce
- Kent
- Roberton
- Alabakis

Wilkie just signed for 2 years

given the club has been pretty bold and to the point about making calls on Players I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some likeable players who never truly hit their potential get time called at the Saints or shoot off under Free Agency

these will be guys >= 24 who have been in the best 22 that just never really hit consistency, think of players like Newnes, Bruce, Acres, Longer, Hickey, Weller etc.

i'm super excited for what 2021 will bring in terms of how our season goes, the growth we have to reach internally and also what we can attract to the club

Really wouldn't be shocked to see Billings go. Reckon Essendon would offer him about $200k more than we would (should).

View attachment 1057704

Must Keep
- Wilkie
- Butler
- Clark
- Billings
- Coffield

Should Keep
-Sinclair
-Ross
-Membery
-Ryder
-Jones

See How They Go
- Geary
- Connolly
- Dunstan
- Wood
- Clav
- McKernan

Let Go
- Joyce
- Kent
- Roberton
- Alabakis
Roberton will be off the list at seasons end and he is by far the highest paid player on that list.

Jones should re-sign and take a little hair cut.

Dunstan is well paid and that should be another clogger gone.

Kent is decently paid and will either leave or take a hair cut.

Ross will go to the highest bidder or a significant hair cut.

I am led to believe there should be further re-signings soon and it was indicated that it would be one of coff or Hunter. They will get an increase but it shouldn’t be top 2 tiers at our club money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two firsts and Merrett or they can GAGF'ed. The two firsts to Bing. So Bing and Merrett for Billings :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Merrett and Billings are both FAs. There would be no compo for Billings but potential to do a swap amicably but not get a pick. This year there are some outstanding free agents on offer Kelly, Parker, Laird, Crouch, Zorko, Cripps, Gawn, Bont etc Being a club on the up is a good place to start to attract the top FAs, history shows they are usually going to challengers not bottom feeders.

Merrett and Billings are both FAs. There would be no compo for Billings but potential to do a swap amicably but not get a pick. This year there are some outstanding free agents on offer Kelly, Parker, Laird, Crouch, Zorko, Cripps, Gawn, Bont etc Being a club on the up is a good place to start to attract the top FAs, history shows they are usually going to challengers not bottom feeders.
RFA's we match and negotiate, just like Adelaide did with Crouch :oops: :oops: :oops:

But why would he want go to Essendon?

Sure he supported them as a kid but they are rebuilding and he's spent the majority of his career doing that.
Highly unlikely. Wants to win flags and reckons the best place to do that in Vic (who could afford him) is here.
caught up with it just because someone rand

Not claiming it is going to happen, just that I wouldn't be shocked.

As far as I can tell:

- Billings would very likely attract offers north of $750k p/a
- Billings whilst talented is no longer in our top 5, and possibly not our top 10 best players
- We cannot afford to pay all of Billings, Gresham, Steele, Marshall, Hill over $750k p/a and expect to be able to keep all of our young guns (Coff, Clark, King, Battle etc.)

It would only happen if Billings would prefer the cash over a better chance of success. But I think with some of the more ruthless operators we have running the show, we wouldn't willing to pay a guy like Billings more than we think he is worth, something that we have no doubt done in the past to keep players.

Really wouldn't be shocked to see Billings go. Reckon Essendon would offer him about $200k more than we would (should).

Can see Ross leaving before Billings.

If the things we’re reading about the “vibe” amongst this playing group are even halfway true, I doubt someone like Members holds us to ransom on new contract terms. We all know about the best sides salary-sacrificing to stay together and achieve. I hope that’s us now.

My gut says we will have a good crack at getting Parker across.

Billings to Essendon for the 5th year in a row 😅

Won't go anywhere, one of our most important players and wants to stay.

If we need the cap space (we don't but let's say we do) plodders like Kent and Dunstan (with the retirement of Roberton) will come well before someone with the quality of Billings being traded.

Billings to Essendon for the 5th year in a row 😅

Won't go anywhere, one of our most important players and wants to stay.

If we need the cap space (we don't but let's say we do) plodders like Kent and Dunstan (with the retirement of Roberton) will come well before someone with the quality of Billings being traded.
Agree other players will go before billlings
Not so sure he is one of most important players anymore
Needs a big year if he wants good $$$ on his last couple of years I wouldn't be paying anymore than $550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back