Paul Hunter

Traded;
Luke Dunstan

Retired;
Jake Carlisle
Dylan Roberton
Shaun McKernan
James Frawley

To see the full playing list list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 - Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 - Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2 – completion: Thursday November 25 (7pm - late)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday 6 December

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday 19 December - Sunday 9 January

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints have done the shuffle onto the rookie list thing several times.
I think the key is you need to choose your player.
Whoever you choose is essentially a free agent and open to offers from other clubs.
We did it with injuries like Jarryd Allen , to see out his contract.
From memory we did it with Andrew McQualter. yes someone could have poached him but we were prepared to take that risk.
I think we did it with Adam Schneider, and maybe a suspended Ahmed Saad.
We could probably do it with Geary and be confident we would keep him.

When Gold Coast picked up Greenwood, he was a terrific moneyball get.
But hell , make him a free agent with a one year contract? Very poor judgement.

Suns fans fuming in their forum. Understandable. I kinda feel for them
I agree - lots of people taking the opportunity to bag Gold Coast but they are picking the wrong target.

Greenwood agreed to plan to help the club out and then reneged on the deal and stitched the Suns up. Ordinary performance from Greenwood.

He was disrespected at the Crow's just going by management saying he wouldn't be missed then he goes to the Gold Coast and shows he is one of the best clearance players in the league and then gets de listed and told he would be picked backup.
I really feel for this bloke , he is striving to be the best he can be to get the most out of his career as well as coin and for a team to throw him on the rookie list is not great for his value as a player - it's the great he left.

All there highly prized recruits would be looking how he was treated and they would be ready to pull the pin when there contract is up.
I can't see Rankine , Luko and King being there next year and if they all go I would expect they will be called Tazzie Devils the following year.
I can’t see that happening unfortunately, the AFL will come up with some new rule to keep then going.

I agree - lots of people taking the opportunity to bag Gold Coast but they are picking the wrong target.

Greenwood agreed to plan to help the club out and then reneged on the deal and stitched the Suns up. Ordinary performance from Greenwood.

Make ANY player a free agent, and they are a chance to get offers from other clubs.
They might just get an offer they like.

He's had an unusual sports career and probably hasn't had a chance to cash himself up.
He needs to get what he can IMO.

Whole thing makes no sense. As a Rookie surely he is on a Rookie wage.

Whereas if a club says come onto our main list we can pay you more and give you a two year contract as per any new draftee.

Or the PSD where Norf can say hey we will pay you 300k a year come to us and GCS go eat a dick.

Sounds like Dunstan mark 2 but we didn't really want him.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whole thing makes no sense. As a Rookie surely he is on a Rookie wage.

Whereas if a club says come onto our main list we can pay you more and give you a two year contract as per any new draftee.

Or the PSD where Norf can say hey we will pay you 300k a year come to us and GCS go eat a dick.

Sounds like Dunstan mark 2 but we didn't really want him.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was going back on the senior list on the same wage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make ANY player a free agent, and they are a chance to get offers from other clubs.
They might just get an offer they like.

He's had an unusual sports career and probably hasn't had a chance to cash himself up.
He needs to get what he can IMO.
Make an agreement with a player and you'd expect the player to keep the agreement.

Greenwood wasn't a player who was delisted with the only expectation being that the his club MAY pick him up again if no one else offers him a better deal.

The only reason he was delisted in the first place is that he agreed to a process with GCS in full knowledge that he was going to be redrafted on the same contractual arrangement.

I think your position on the Greenwood one ultimately comes down to your view on loyalty and morals therein.

IMO AFL is a business for players and teams, that Greenwood found himself in a unique position and North offered him (substantially i believe) more money which he took is just smart business from a 29 year old who might not have much longer left in his career.

I think if any of us got offered way way more money to do the exact same job at another employer wed likely take it (or at least strongly consider it).

Doesn't seem like Greenwood was on much money at the Suns. Anyone know his (previous) contract details?

Never mind...

"If Greenwood hits the clause to trigger a third season, he’d earn a total of around $1.2 million over the three years. His 2022 contract was worth around $400,000 with the Suns, who couldn’t offer the midfielder a longer deal of that nature."

(From foxfooty)

Never mind...

If Greenwood hits the clause to trigger a third season, he’d earn a total of around $1.2 million over the three years. His 2022 contract was worth around $400,000 with the Suns, who couldn’t offer the midfielder a longer deal of that nature.
So $400k a year for two (likely three) or $400k a year with no guarantee of any more money or years post that.

I must admit im suprised he was on $400k a year at the suns but here we are.

I think your position on the Greenwood one ultimately comes down to your view on loyalty and morals therein.

IMO AFL is a business for players and teams, that Greenwood found himself in a unique position and North offered him (substantially i believe) more money which he took is just smart business from a 29 year old who might not have much longer left in his career.

I think if any of us got offered way way more money to do the exact same job at another employer wed likely take it (or at least strongly consider it).
There is an element of loyalty that I'd expect from Greenwood to not leave the Suns in the situation he was in, but I can also see that at the end of the day it's a business and quite frankly the Suns shouldn't have toyed with the risk involved in delisting one of your best midfielders. It's easy to see both sides. It was a ruthless move by North Melbourne and not one that makes many friends, but if they're in the business of doing whatever they can to be successful, you don't care what outsiders think and you make decisions that may not be popular but allow you to improve.

Ultimately Gold Coast are to blame, it was their decision to delist him.

So $400k a year for two (likely three) or $400k a year with no guarantee of any more money or years post that.

I must admit im suprised he was on $400k a year at the suns but here we are.
Gold Coast shouldn't have been surprised. One of the reasons he left Adelaide because Gold Coast was because Gold Coast offered a substantially better contract. He's just done it again with North. And good on Greenwood for taking it - no often a decent to good player gets offered that type of contract twice!

400k seems to be the Gold Coast standard for average type players - Greenwood, Atkins and now Chol. If you are a borderline player at another club and GC aren't offering you 400k for 3-4 years, you should feel insulted.

In hindsight they probably should have kept Casboult
Anti-vax/“vax hesitant” as well…

Apparently waiting for the Novavax.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back