• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the club overrating the list thinking we just need to get our current players to 50 games?

I mean there's every chance we do that and end up with more Ned McHenrys

I don't think our list management has screamed that we're overrating our list, more we don't have the faintest clue what our list is at the moment.

What I've taken away from the chat with Justin Reid on Trade Radio.

• Pick 5 in some capacity or another is on the table for Rankine. Whether that is with the expectation of a Pick coming back our way, or whether that is solely being offered up is unknown, but kiss good bye to that pick. Won't be split. Twomey asked Reid if something more than Pick 5 was being offered and Reid telegraphed things with a response of 'well Pick 5 is a very good pick...' Nice work, Reid.
  • Matt Crouch is going nowhere, most likely because no one wants him.
  • Frampton for a future 3rd seems to be done and dusted, if i didn't hear right?
  • Decision on Rowe to be made closer to the draft when pick swaps/trades etc are all done and we have a better idea of list numbers.
  • No draft pick is being put aside for Keeler, sounds like it's a wait and see if he drops below Pick 40 for us to match. Reid described it as 'being out of our hands'
  • Michalanney is probably going to be taken, IMO. That's the feeling i got, said they'll be having a chat with his family closer to the draft.
  • Didn't say much about bringing in additional players, stressed that the club is focusing on getting players currently at the club to that 50-80 games mark.
  • Indicated we'd be interested in working back into this draft, whether that's through bringing in our future 1st again, i'm not sure, but it does seem like if we pass our Pick 5 onto GC for Rankine we'll be looking for opportunities to get back in before draft night.

Didn't say much about bringing in additional players, stressed that the club is focusing on getting players currently at the club to that 50-80 games mark.

So we just sit back, get Rankine in, get another season into the young guys and then it's all sweet?

You look at Port - as much as its pains me to say, at least they actively try to get experienced guys in every year to complement and improve their squad

We sit back and do SFA it seems.

Didn't say much about bringing in additional players, stressed that the club is focusing on getting players currently at the club to that 50-80 games mark.

So we just sit back, get Rankine in, get another season into the young guys and then it's all sweet?

You look at Port - as much as its pains me to say, at least they actively try to get experienced guys in every year to complement and improve their squad

We have turned over half of our list in the last 3 offseasons, and for the vast majority, replaced them with kids. You have to stop burning at some point.

What we're probably looking at is a consequence of how hard we hit the reset button. Seeing this has been about as aggressive as it gets of a rebuild (and yes, I'm questioning if that's a good thing).

We have turned over half of our list in the last 3 offseasons, and for the vast majority, replaced them with kids. You have to stop burning at some point.

What we're probably looking at is a consequence of how hard we hit the reset button. Seeing this has been about as aggressive as it gets of a rebuild (and yes, I'm questioning if that's a good thing).
100% correct.

But we just cant do it with younger players......surely we can still be pro active to see if there is any (experienced) players out there that would complement our current squad?

From what Reid has said we wont even go down that path.

I was super keen for us to go after Jack Graham; SA lad; 5 years in the system, premiership player, gets the ball.....reckon he would be great in our team.

But he's heading to Port....

Ports average age is 25.7; ours is 24. There's not much difference...yet I don't see Port (or any other club for that matter) saying we'll wait another year to get another 25 games into everyone & therefore wont see who is available (organic growth again)???

Maybe I'm just ranting....all I see however is Port in the news daily about who they're trying to lure to their club whilst us, apart from Rankine there's nothing?

It's only a good thing if you nail most of your first round picks.
We have butchered too many of them and have a long way to go to get a quality list that will contend in the future

Quality over Quantity...

I would much rather go down the path we have the last 2 years and focus on bringing in 1 high end talent each year (Dawson/Rankine), than a bunch of mid level role players that they seem to go after. Port seem to just go after anyone who would be happy to come to their club, rather than going after the top end talent. Dunkley would have been a good get for them but that didn't work out.

Its a bit of a worry..

The club has run this line for two seasons now..

They said the same “gotta try out the list we’ve got” bullshit last year too.. but then played the oldest, most experienced team they could only bringing the youth in when there is an injury or it had gone way beyond obvious that one of the experienced guys is totally out of form..

Its a bit of a worry..

The club has run this line for two seasons now..

They said the same “gotta try out the list we’ve got” bullshit last year too.. but then played the oldest, most experienced team they could only bringing the youth in when there is an injury or it had gone way beyond obvious that one of the experienced guys is totally out of form..
and yet we consistently had the youngest best 22 most weeks

and yet we consistently had the youngest best 22 most weeks
And yet my point still stands..

Most of the time they still ensured that the oldest more experienced players were prioritised over the young.. clinging onto those older players even when they were way out of form..

The reason we have such a young and inexperienced list is due to the last 5 or so year of prioritising experience over giving the youth a go…

I dont know another club in the league that mollycoddles it youth and clings onto its older players until the death as much as the crows

I would love to see us take him with 23 though if still there
wild card could be nothing could be anything
I'd rather take a pure ruck, or a mid who's slipped down the order.

Most of the time they still ensured that the oldest more experienced players were prioritised over the young.. clinging onto those older players even when they were way out of form..

The reason we have such a young and inexperienced list is due to the last 5 or so year of prioritising experience over giving the youth a go…

I dont know another club in the league that mollycoddles it youth and clings onto its older players until the death as much as the crows
Who are these older players you refer to? Laird (b&f), Walker (leading goal kicker) or Smith (top 5 b&f)?

Or Sloan (injured, 4 games), Brown (injured/ dropped/ retired, 11 games), Crouch (dropped, 11 games)?

Everyone else is young enough (and good enough) to be in our team when we are playing finals next, or is our best ruck (but was still dropped for 2 games for a ruck 1 year younger).

We got games into heaps of kids, but maintained a structure so we weren't copying the gold coast/ Carlton continious failure model. The only kid who didn't get a fair run was Worrell, who did get to play out the back end of the season.

Who are these older players you refer to? Laird (b&f), Walker (leading goal kicker) or Smith (top 5 b&f)?

Or Sloan (injured, 4 games), Brown (injured/ dropped/ retired, 11 games), Crouch (dropped, 11 games)?

Everyone else is young enough (and good enough) to be in our team when we are playing finals next, or is our best ruck (but was still dropped for 2 games for a ruck 1 year younger).

We got games into heaps of kids, but maintained a structure so we weren't copying the gold coast/ Carlton continious failure model. The only kid who didn't get a fair run was Worrell, who did get to play out the back end of the season.
Worrell should have come in way sooner than he did.. but we comtinued to play a clearly out of form Doedee.

Newchurch shouldve been given a go after playing a blinder in the SANFL but we chose the more experienced Murphy over him.. even though in that Sanfl game murphy’s goals came directly from Newchurch’s hard work!..
We also chose a s**t mcrouch over newchurch at one point.

We played Hately out of position to accomodate crouch too.

Milera was horrid all year but still got game after game infront of the more in form younger guys.

Smiths position was never questioned even though his form was very dubious at times.

Keays had a golden ticket regardless of the fact that after round 6 he fell of a cliff..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worrell should have come in way sooner than he did.. but we comtinued to play a clearly out of form Doedee.

Newchurch shouldve been given a go after playing a blinder in the SANFL but we chose the more experienced Murphy over him.. even though in that Sanfl game murphy’s goals came directly from Newchurch’s hard work!..
We also chose a s**t mcrouch over newchurch at one point.

We played Hately out of position to accomodate crouch too.

Milera was horrid all year but still got game after game infront of the more in form younger guys.

Smiths position was never questioned even though his form was very dubious at times.

Keays had a golden ticket regardless of the fact that after round 6 he fell of a cliff..
I don't agree Newchurch earned a run. He had a great game here and there, but just can't do it consistently yet. I liked Hately, particularly late in the season in the SANFL, and he could have got a run on ball.

Keays (top 3 b&f) and Murphy both earned their spots and are young enough to be playing in our next finals run. It's up to the other young enough players to push past them. Personally I think they will be overtaken, but it hasn't happened yet. Neither stopped Berry, Rachele, Thilthorpe, Schoenberg or Soligo from getting games.

Smith got top 5 in the b&f. The coaches thought he was playing OK, though I agree it wasn't his best season. I'd still have him in the side for both his own game and his on field leadership of the younger guys.

what are you talkijg about?
do you mean old players being gifted games? then you are referring to 2020/2021.
or do you mean crap players being gifted games? eg murphy, murray, mchenry, rowe, hately and so on

Im thinking there will be a lot of angry supporters when we give up 5 for Rankine, and don't do much on draft day.

I'll feel underwhelmed, but we probably need to look at it as a 2 year plan, and if JHF is with us next year, its probably a win all up.

Yeah, you are spot on.

Normally this is an exciting time of year for many supporters and it’s fun analysing the draft. Extends the footy season by a couple of months.

It does look like we have planned to play a minor role in this draft from a long way out - extending Himm, Gollant etc. indicates we were always looking at a minimal list turnover. If that’s the plan and we are targeting a couple of big signings in 2023, then I’m ok with that.

Im thinking there will be a lot of angry supporters when we give up 5 for Rankine, and don't do much on draft day.

I'll feel underwhelmed, but we probably need to look at it as a 2 year plan, and if JHF is with us next year, its probably a win all up.
After hearing Reidy, the other day on trade radio I felt a little flat pick 5 out Rankine in (and that's about it) but the more I think about it and look at it over the next 2 years or so if we land JHF next year I'd be ecstatic. If we don't or someone coming along similar, then it will hit the fan.

Now not that I really want to finish last next season but pick 1 looking at the crop coming along looks very attractive tbh.

We should be all in Phillipou now.
Port will have no 1st and it will be interesting to see if interstate clubs become a little.more tentative and he slides a few picks
If we offer future first for Rankine

5- Phillipou
23- Kobe Ryan/Keeler
Then take Michaelanny with junk picks

Back