Review 2022 AFL National (& Rookie) Draft(s) Thread II (North's picks - Sheezel, Wardlaw, B.George, Harvey, Drury,Free,Howe,Turner)

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we brought in Logue to go with McKay, Corr and Dawson is a KPD a priority at this point in time?

Similar with half back flankers, we have too many of them, it even starved Goater of getting games this year.

What would you classify as our most important positional needs at the club?

Imo developing key position players are still a need. Corr and to a lesser extent Logue aren’t really suited to playing on the real big key forwards. Hayes in time, with his height and reach could be capable of playing on taller more mobile key forwards like the King twins.

Cowan could end up as an intercepting half back but also has the run and carry game that is quite suited to playing as a wingman which is a need for us.

Ideally I’d like a key forward but it doesn’t look as though we’ll take one at 23, although I’d be stoked with Keeler purely because of the potential.

The most important positional needs for our list build imo are:

• 2 x developing key forwards
  • Crumbing/pressure small forward (who has speed)
  • Genuine wingman (Cowan potentially)

We don’t really need inside mids or half forward types.

I just couldn’t bring myself to pick Cowan. Sometimes you need to not take a risk with go home factor and best case scenario Cowan is better than average and he will be paid overs to go home after 4 seasons.

What’s the knock on huswaite? On paper he seems to have a lot to like, especially if he’s highly ranked foot wise like you say.

Hayes has to be seriously considered given the length of time back men take to develop at north. If he is a good one maybe it’s a good long term investment.

I’m not too worried if we lose talented players and we get adequately compensated. Cowan has said in a few interviews that he is super keen on getting to Melbourne. If he is the best player available you back in your club to keep him. We’ve been pretty good with player retention across the journey.

The knock on Hustwaite is that he doesn’t have an obvious position at AFL level. Has played predominantly as an inside mid, but doesn’t have the physicality of point of difference (other than his height) to play that role at AFL level. Is tall enough to be a KP but doesn’t play at all like a key position player. Has neat skills and excellent decision making but isn’t a long kicking, damaging type of player. Could end up being a tall half back that can distribute the footy, but hasn’t shown much intercepting ability at NAB league level.

Hayes imo would definitely be worth the investment. Good movement, solid overhead and good reach for a guy his size.

I understand the need for talls, but you have to take best available with a high 2nd rounder and especially so when you would be reaching a fair bit to get a key sized forward. I'd rather the club pick up a mature aged state league key forward in the rookie draft who can help us immediately, and look to draft a long term prospect next year. Or just throw 2 first round picks at GC for Ben King

Problem is there aren’t any half decent key forward mature age options. All the best performing goal kickers in the state leagues are either too old, already proven not to be up to AFL standard or don’t have a good enough athletic profile.

Lemmey for mine. Was ranked top 10 for a lot of last year and the slide. No on KPD at this stage for mine.

Also, Theres a fair chance Harvey wont be bid on, and we will just take him with our last pick.

The trade with Brisbane highlights that we must be keen on a F/S next year. Mini choppy??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More AFL draft trades to come? Demons open to Giant move​

By Marc McGowan

November 29, 2022 — 8.30am

Key points​

• Melbourne reveal interest in Giants’ pick at start of second round.
  • The Demons tried unsuccessfully to score Essendon’s top-five selection.
  • GWS could keep their second-round pick but will weigh up offers.

Melbourne look set to be one of the suitors for Greater Western Sydney’s coveted pick at the start of round two after drafting a second key forward in as many years.

The Demons aggressively tried but failed to move up the AFL draft order, including offering three first-round selections for Essendon’s picks four and 22 at the time.

But national recruiting manager Jason Taylor, one of the key architects of Melbourne’s drought-busting 2021 premiership, has foreshadowed a move for the GWS pick.

Brayden George is someone the Demons could be interested in.

Brayden George is someone the Demons could be interested in.Credit:AFL Photos

Exciting forward Brayden George - who suffered an ACL rupture in August - the draft’s best ruckman Harry Barnett and medium-sized defender Jakob Ryan are potential targets for the Demons.

“We’ll certainly have a conversation with (the Giants),” Taylor told reporters.

“We’ve been having a conversation ongoing with them about that, but whether what’s transpired tonight has an effect on what happens with that, who knows?
“But, like Adrian (Caruso, GWS recruiting manager) said, he’ll let the dust settle, then tomorrow’s a new day, and we’ll go again.

“We’ve got a few scenarios that may play out, and we’re happy to sit with any of them, to be honest.”

Taylor stopped short of revealing who Melbourne were interested in but said a “young ruck” was one direction they could go, after selecting Matt Jefferson to potentially pair with Jacob Van Rooyen as future twin towers in attack.

The last such trade at this stage of the draft was three years ago, when Brisbane gave up No.23 and a future second-round pick for Port Adelaide’s 22 and a future fourth-rounder.

The Lions did so to move up and draft midfielder Deven Robertson after he slid down the order.

Caruso referenced that history when suggesting them gaining a future second-round selection in a trade that would see them drop back only slightly loomed as the likeliest scenario.

“Those sorts of deals are regularly offered up, and really that first pick on night two - that’s been more of what’s happened - slide back for a future second - than a flat-out future first,” he said.

“Now, if someone comes with a future first, we’ll listen, but there are a few different scenarios there that we would consider. We also could just keep the pick and pick a player.”
Hawthorn were the only club who were able to trade into the first round, striking a deal with Sydney for pick 18 while handing over No.27 and future second- and third-round selections.
The Giants will have noted the hefty sum the Swans secured in that deal when weighing up offers on Tuesday beforef the draft’s resumption.

In the event that Cowan, Hayes ect are gone.

I wouldn’t be against trading back and taking either KF prospects in Keeler or Lemmey. Would be good to get back in the 2nd round next year.
Whilst we obviously need KPF depth, I think if we rated those guys we wouldn't have traded up.

Tsatas will add some electric run and flair for the Bombers as part of a midfield-forward group which will need to become more selfless, team-oriented and in-synch under new coach Brad Scott after 18 years without a finals win.

The Office Lol GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back