Preview 2022 draft prospects

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
By getting Ryan, does this suggest coaches want Noble to be overtaken?
Back flank is a very important role in our system.
Seems like it will be IQ on one flank, and then they want someone else really good.
Noble is >>> greater than Ryan at this stage. If in one season, Ryan improves enough to take over from Noble I’d be shocked.
And even then I doubt he has Noble pace.
Noble is very underrated.

Noble is >>> greater than Ryan at this stage. If in one season, Ryan improves enough to take over from Noble I’d be shocked.
And even then I doubt he has Noble pace.
Noble is very underrated.
Noble is just about the best runner in the AFL. I doubt anyone hits his speed as often or for as many kms a match as he does.

RobJD

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Toby Murray would be my pick - saw him out sprint Mac Andrews ( top 2. ? Pick last year), during a game, which was amazing for his size. Then played fwd and had excellent burst speed on the lead.
So very athletic and mobile but skinny - a bit like English was when drafted.
Agree, I too was impressed with Murray during that game - wouldn't mind us taking him as a SSP if possible

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Unless we upgrade Ginnivan, our only rookie spot is allocated to Murley.

In the event we do upgrade Ginnivan, someone said yesterday that we had actually nominated Ashwin as an NGA, so presumably he would get the spot.

More likely we keep it as an open senior spot and scout around for backup ruckmen.
Agreed, a ready to play ruckman.

RobJD

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t get the Ryan pick to be honest - unless IQ or Maynard are moving into midfield roles.
And even then Ruscoe/Wilson/Draper would be ahead of Ryan as HBF.
My assumption is that we've got Richards and Ryan more as cover for Sidey and WHE than IQ and Maynard. Different players I know, but both seem to have good endurance and are suited to two way running - as another poster stated earlier, they may slot into the role that Nick will leave with his impending shift into the mid-field. Realistically, my expectation is that both are depth players. My only wish is that Ryan proves to be a better player than Ollie.

Toby Murray would be my pick - saw him out sprint Mac Andrews ( top 2. ? Pick last year), during a game, which was amazing for his size. Then played fwd and had excellent burst speed on the lead.
So very athletic and mobile but skinny - a bit like English was when drafted.

Yes, even better.

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
The final spot will definitely be a ruck depth option. Murray looked ok but I would think they would want a more ready to play option from state leagues or delistings

Ballenden? Not sure what is out there

Hine believes the midfielder-forward can play a variety of roles at AFL level, potentially even at half-back with young gun Nick Daicos expected to transition into a full-time midfielder as soon as next year.

"He has got the game for the MCG, that's for sure, because of his speed and his lateral movement. We potentially see him playing that high back role because he's instinctive in transition. He's already accustomed to the one v one stuff," Hine said.

"Initially, we know what he can do in the midfield and as a high forward and I think he will really transition into that high back role really quickly. We really do snap out of there quite quickly which allows us to give Nick a little bit more midfield time."

We have any live rookie picks tonight or just the Murley re-drafting?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just Murley unless we also elevate Ginni Pig.

Hard to see murley getting a game..
Bit of a forgotten player unfortunately.

He should hope another club takes him imo

Training with us.

Hine rates no one in the Rookie Draft Then

beatnik

Grizzled veteran
Jun 27, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mavs, swan districts
Hope Liam Hude from Lions academy gets a rookie contract…that kid is built different and will find a way into the league eventually

Back