Preview 2022 draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

He played in a poor Tasmanian league in U18 but did dominate in the sanfl v men
Good contested mark and shot for goal but yeah doesn’t have the athleticism as others

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Callow has never had athleticism. What really didn't help with recruitment is that he was played as a defender in the TSL. He should have spent the full season as a forward but North (Launceston) wanted to try and win another flag so were prepared to play him all over the field. There's an infamous photo of him playing on Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn's bust) in the 2020 Grand Final. It was a very fiery clash between two cross-town rivals.

I don't know why people are surprised by his lack of athleticism. He's a heavy tank. If he worked on the athleticism, he could make it. He didn't nominate for the draft so that should indicate the lack of interest but he is playing at Norwood in 2023 and could be a MSD candidate should he perform well.

They would give input but at the end of the day it’s the recruiters job to pick

Yes need to get input. McRae has the game plan and knows what type of player he needs.

He tells Hine and coaching staff,, Hine gives them his best options.
They all sit around a table and discuss.
All this Hine picks them is baloney.

They would give input but at the end of the day it’s the recruiters job to pick

Some coaches with more pull at clubs pick recruiters who follow their orders. It's a political process drafting and if you've ever wondered why certain players aren't chosen, sometimes it's because they don't conform to the club's interests or there's someone more connected available.

Yes need to get input. McRae has the game plan and knows what type of player he needs.

He tells Hine and coaching staff,, Hine gives them his best options.
They all sit around a table and discuss.
All this Hine picks them is baloney.

You are incorrect. If you watch the documentary "show me the money", they actually show the interactions between coach and recruiting staff at Melbourne which is typical across all clubs. It's generally felt the more the coach weighs into this area, the more chance of him negatively impacted the process because he actually hasn't watched the kids. As Jen said, the coach will give input on type and and game plan needs, Hine picks them.

He who has the game plan has the upper hand. McRae, followed by Wright and than Hine and the rest of the coaches.

They sit together. Make a decision and go to the draft.

Not just Hine FFS

Hine narrows them down to the best of their type position wise.

Decisions made together

Last edited:
You are incorrect. If you watch the documentary "show me the money" they actually show the interactions between coach and recruiting staff at Melbourne which is typical across all clubs. It is generally felt the more the coach weighs into this area, the more chance of him negatively impacted the progress because he actually hasn't watched the kids. As Jen said, the coach will give input on type and and game plan needs, Hine picks them.
Rubbish.. Not true

Last edited:
It’ll be Ryan if he is available. That’s all the word lately
Last week you said Cal stated Richards was a lock with one of our 2nd rounders & I said I would be surprised if that was the case.
Last night Cal did not have him in his top 30 picks & stated "The Magpies are unlikely to use any picks outside of their first three selections".
Hope we don't select him with our 2nd rounders, but Richards selection could go either way on draft night.
He's more 51 if we use it

Last edited:
Last week you said Cal stated Richards was a lock with one of our 2nd rounders & I said I would be supprised if that was the case.
Last night Cal did not have him in his top 30 picks & stated "The Magpies are unlikely to use any picks outside of their first three selections".
There's no right or wrong, just opinions. :thumbsu:

From 15 onwards it’ll be hard to predict for sure. So who knows what our 2nd round picks will look like

That is the common view, but I’m backing he doesn’t rate Ruckmen, otherwise he would have pushed to find a way to keep Grundy.
Almost impossible if say on 900k.

McRae though does see a bigger need for other types other than a Ruckman.

Cox and Cameron doing OK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruiters would be the biggest thing in AFL if it was all left up to them.

Decisions on draftees is done internally..

Not left up to one man. That's ridiculous

It was hard to justify keeping Grundy on that contract when we needed the salary space to chase others this year & beyond.
I have little idea how much Fly rates ruckmen other than him stating "Grundy makes us better".
I suspect he has some knowledge of how much Nankervis was on at the Tigers and he will use this as a guide as to what a good ruckman should earn.

Last edited:
Not sure how Cox and Cameron are more suited to our style than Grundy?
Cox is a pretty good tap ruckman. Cameron goes forward and kicks a few goals..
We would have definitely kept Grundy albeit his horrible contract..

Not sure how Cox and Cameron are more suited to our style than Grundy?
I think more a case of “let’s dump the most expensive Ruckman”, because we’re spending to much on Rucks.

Yeah I believe Wright does not want to spend more than 1mill combined for rucks

NO SPIN
I'm lost brother, explain again.

I'm saying we got rid of Grundy and gained 2 players for the same or similar $

Cox is a pretty good tap ruckman. Cameron goes forward and kicks a few goals..
We would have definitely kept Grundy albeit his horrible contract..
Far better to make promise after promise to sign up a player, and then refuse to fulfil those commitments when it doesn’t suit us. Decent folk don’t act in such a manner or treat human beings like that. So soon after the deplorable treatment of Treloar.

Far better to make promise after promise to sign up a player, and then refuse to fulfil those commitments when it doesn’t suit us. Decent folk don’t act in such a manner or treat human beings like that. Clearly no remorse from the Treloar incident.
True dat. Although it was the last mob to blame. New dudes trying to right the wrongs of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back