Preview 2022 draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to agree regarding Ryan.
I feel like I’m watching the worst of John Noble’s highlights (I like Johnny). And too many of his possessions see him go Chris Mayne like stop and prop.
With pick 29, fine, but surely there will be better available at our first pick?

Not expecting very much insight from Hine's AFL interview this afternoon.

Draft day interviews were never really that informative but now we've got live trading and it could also come up in future trade talks (like if Wells/Mackie said pre 2020 draft they rated Henry as top 10, we'd have probably held it against them).

BUT

Twomey asked Hine in Aug who his top echelon players were outside of the obvious; Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Tsatas and Tsatas.

He volunteered Hotton as starting to push into the top round and mentioned Humphrey. In fact I'd say that's where most of our media link to Hotton has stemmed from.

Think Kinnear Beatson explained it very well.
Said the top 7 are elite, all should be stars. All clubs obv want to be there. Then the next group of ten or so are likely to be v good players. Then into the 30’s there are also some potentially v good players, with lots of promising flankers and small forwards making up the numbers, who could progress into more prominent roles. He also said there are some exciting kids that he rates in the top 30 that Cal Twomey missed. So yes, deep… and if you miss out on top 7, there could be a kid later that you rate just as highly as a first rounder etc

Just our luck we effectively have pick 18, so need that high level slider to make Derek’s first decision an easy one. Then a bit of luck with picks 2 & 3.

He also said the first round will take a long time, because phones will be running hot from pick 4.

He also said that this time last year we were looking at the 2022 draft as being epic when it came to key position players, and now that we're here it hasn't panned out that way at all: in other words, take this draft for what it is because next year might not be as good as everyone thinks it is right now.

But then they've also said their picks 14 & 17 could be on the table one way or another, didn't he? So I'd say even he himself doesn't believe what he's saying!

Final draft for the rookie me guys.

It’s a cracker too.

Cowan, Keeler and Jakob Ryan.

The only criticism is that someone surely bids on Davey to prevent them selecting a guy beforehand.

Heck I would do it at whatever pick 16 gets pushed out to.

Last edited:
I feel like this draft is like going to JB to buy a new TV.

what you really want is out of your range and you are indecisive with all the rest based on slightly different features.

in the end, you’ll probably be happy with what you‘ll get, but you’ll keep second guessing yourself.
Nice analogy :thumbsu:

King of the 15m chip kick sideways and backwards.

Been evident in nearly every video of him..

Where's the run and carry, the play on, evade, kick long to advantage ?

His one long kick in that favoured the defender.
Even given limited footage, I'm really not enamoured by this selection.
I find it a little bizarre that all these 'highlights' are from the same game, surely there are many more games where he's featured.
In any event a 3 minute package is really nothing in terms of assessing a player's ability.

He does look a good reader of the play and a decent mark, but you'd want to see a lot more.

Last edited:

And those are the highlights, there is no consistent aerial ability, or run and carry and shut down ability. And doesn't Dekka love a good 2k time trial. Whenever we select skinny South Australians with 'upside' is doesn't end well.

And those are the highlights, there is no consistent aerial ability, or run and carry and shut down ability. And doesn't Dekka love a good 2k time trial. Whenever we select skinny South Australians with 'upside' is doesn't end well.
Interesting, reading the Cat's board for 2022 Trade and Draft, there's talk that they'd rate Ryan as a chance with their 2nd pick (In the 60's I think)!

I feel like this draft is like going to JB to buy a new TV.

what you really want is out of your range and you are indecisive with all the rest based on slightly different features.

in the end, you’ll probably be happy with what you‘ll get, but you’ll keep second guessing yourself.
Hopefully Hiney thinks "* it" and maxes his joint credit card on a 120" OLED (trade for pick 4)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think the highlight videos really do him justice Loki.

He definitely is a run and carry player and I’ve seen him do it consistently in games watched through the year. You are right that his kicking probably is a bit more safe than an option like Cowan though.

He is a good player. But if we take him at our first I’ll be annoyed as it means we are passing over more talented options.

Particularly since I reckon he would have still been there at either of our second rounders.

Last edited:
I don’t think the highlight videos really do him justice Loki.

He definitely is a run and carry player and I’ve seen him do it consistently in games watched through the year. You are right that his kicking probably is a bit more safe than an option like Cowan though.

He is a good player. But if we take him at our first I’ll be annoyed as it means we are passing over more talented options.

Particularly since I reckon he would have still been there at either of our second rounders.

I think I’m the same and that RookieMe draft that has is taking him with the third pick feels better to me.

Cal Twomey seems convinced we’re not making a 4th pick. Thoughts?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not too worried about safe kicking - it was our whole team 12 months ago. I think it's a pretty easy fix. And it was actually how I would have described Pendles for his first couple of years

I think I’m the same and that RookieMe draft that has is taking him with the third pick feels better to me.

I'm pretty confident that we've left it open for flexibility. I don't see why we would be shifting Murley to the rookie list if we definitely weren't going to use that list spot at the draft.

Last edited:

I’m not across list sizes as much as others. Confuses the hell out of me.

But assuming we can take a forth pick and we don’t necessarily have to upgrade Ginnivan etc, I’d look to take it.

Hopefully Lemmey or Scully would be there as speculative talls. Otherwise guys like Adam D'Aloia or Kobe Ryan could still offer something.

I’m not across list sizes as much as others. Confuses the hell out of me.

But assuming we can take a forth pick and we don’t necessarily have to upgrade Ginnivan etc, I’d look to take it.

Hopefully Lemmey or Scully would be there as speculative talls. Otherwise guys like Adam D'Aloia or Kobe Ryan could still offer something.

I think we'll most likely take 4. Why else shift Murley to the rookie list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back