List Mgmt. 2022 List Management and trading thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post I quoted said ND which makes no sense, if you’re prepared to burn it, offer it and try and get something back
I'm agreeing with you - that original post isn't what would happen in reality.

Why would we pay much more draft value for Rankine than we did for Dawson as he won't give nowhere near the team value that Dawson has and will do.
Not so sure as it certainly would free up rachele to move more into the midfield. It also can't be discounted that 1 or 2 burgess preseasons might see his tank increase like fog's has and it will give him the best chance to impact games from first to last quarter.

So structurally it might be a big win for us

And we've got 2022 & 2023 firsts, Fish, Berg, Billy & Sholl to sell. Surely there's a bit more coming back our way.
I want to keep Fischer.

Why? Seems miles off it and it can't be talent that's making him barely SANFL worthy. Another year like 2022 and we get nothing for him at all.

We would get nothing at all for him if he were to leave at the end of this season. Would rather wait a year and see if there’s anything there, If he’s still miles off it then we haven’t lost anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we pay much more draft value for Rankine than we did for Dawson as he won't give nowhere near the team value that Dawson has and will do.
By the end of Dawson’s fourth season he had only played 25 games. Rankine has played 47. Rankine is a higher risk selection for sure, but saying he’ll provide “nowhere near the team value” is just not correct.

If Rankine is worth 800k, what’s Bolton worth!

Hope we don’t blow this years first pick on Rankine , still need some class in that midfield.
Rankine isn't worth 800k. I think our offer wouldn't be anywhere near that amount and 800 is pure media spin. I think it would be closer to 600-650k. I think we need to be careful what we offer and give up for Izak. Giving up our first for him would be stupidity imo. A bigger priority for me is another KPD, Mids and Ruck. Butts is looking average and Murray needs some help down back. An experienced key defender to trade in should be on our radar. Our midfield is also improving but we still need that tall elite mid along with a decent athletic ruck.

Last edited:
Yes .....I've always believed Himmelberg has great footy IQ .....much more than Frampton

It's Himmelbergs inconsistency that hasn't improved .....his talent is clearly there though

There's no reason Himmelberg couldn't play CHB

Himmelberg could be one of the all time great spoiling defenders if we just plonked him there and asked him to try marking it every time 😂

Any way you slice it, we are pretty clearly going to be trading out our first pick, which is currently Pick 4 (Pick 5 when Ashcroft cops a bid in the top 3).

Whether this trade is straight up for Rankine (we shouldn’t allow this which I’ll get to), or to split the pick into 2 top 20 picks remains to be seen, but we almost definitely aren’t calling out a name at pick 5ish, it’s pretty obvious.

The only way we do call out a name at Pick 5ish would be by trading out our 2023 first rounder in a Rankine deal, which I think would be fraught with danger (it’s a better top 10 in 2023 than in 2022 according to the people I trust on these matters).

So, with all of that in mind, I would be doing the following:

1) As early as possible in the trade period, trade out our first pick for either 2 picks between 11 and 20 (Sydney and Richmond will both possess these), OR one pick between about 10 and 13, and the corresponding team’s 2023 first rounder.

2) Offer the pick between 10 and 13 to Gold Coast for Rankine, or tell them they are welcome to take a chance on the other team’s 2023 1st rounder (not ours). Tell them that’s the most we are offering, and ensure they are aware that we have the ability to front load Rankine’s contract so he would be receiving 1.2 million in 2023 so no other clubs picking before us would be willing / able to match these terms via the PSD.

3) Once GC inevitably accept that, instead of us losing a first rounder, we’ve either still got a late first up our sleeve this year, or we have gained an additional first rounder in next year’s very attractive draft.

4) Offload both of Crouch and Frampton for a bag of chips. Crouch likely nets us a pick around 50 that we can use as Michalanney points. Frampton probably leaves as a DFA because why would anyone pay anything in draft capital for him.

5) re-sign Himmelberg on a 1 year deal. We have no big man depth. McAsey, Frampton and Borlase are never playing regular football for us any way you slice it. Walker is near the end. We are not linked to any big name big men this off-season. Elliott is therefore a required player for at least one more year.

6) Delist all of Borlase, Davis, Rowe (and Frampton if nobody will give us pick 60 in a trade). It may also be necessary to downgrade a fringe senior player to the rookie list to give us some draft day flexibility - someone like Hinge or Himmelberg makes sense here. If this means delisting Turner is required to free up another rookie spot, then do it.

7) If we do retain a late first rounder in this year’s draft, we must use it on a classy mid. Not a scrubber mid who tries hard but can’t kick. Not a 190cm defender. Not a small forward. Not a forward of any description. A midfielder with classy skills. Oli Hollands, brother of Elijah, feels like the one who might sneak through to me. And who knows, maybe Crows fan Elijah would like to come and play with his brother in a couple of years 😍

7) Our second rounder is still likely to fall before a Michalanney bid IMO, so use that on a key defender if there is one there with the required talent level. If we didn’t retain a 2022 first rounder, use this pick on the best available mid, and maybe target a mature age key defender from the SANFL, WAFL or VFL with a rookie pick.

Rankine, a classy mid (Hollands), a key defender, and Michalanney would be a nice offseason.

Any way you slice it, we are pretty clearly going to be trading out our first pick, which is currently Pick 4 (Pick 5 when Ashcroft cops a bid in the top 3).

Whether this trade is straight up for Rankine (we shouldn’t allow this which I’ll get to), or to split the pick into 2 top 20 picks remains to be seen, but we almost definitely aren’t calling out a name at pick 5ish, it’s pretty obvious.

The only way we do call out a name at Pick 5ish would be by trading out our 2023 first rounder in a Rankine deal, which I think would be fraught with danger (it’s a better top 10 in 2023 than in 2022 according to the people I trust on these matters).

So, with all of that in mind, I would be doing the following:

1) As early as possible in the trade period, trade out our first pick for either 2 picks between 11 and 20 (Sydney and Richmond will both possess these), OR one pick between about 10 and 13, and the corresponding team’s 2023 first rounder.

2) Offer the pick between 10 and 13 to Gold Coast for Rankine, or tell them they are welcome to take a chance on the other team’s 2023 1st rounder (not ours). Tell them that’s the most we are offering, and ensure they are aware that we have the ability to front load Rankine’s contract so he would be receiving 1.2 million in 2023 so no other clubs picking before us would be willing / able to match these terms via the PSD.

3) Once GC inevitably accept that, instead of us losing a first rounder, we’ve either still got a late first up our sleeve this year, or we have gained an additional first rounder in next year’s very attractive draft.

4) Offload both of Crouch and Frampton for a bag of chips. Crouch likely nets us a pick around 50 that we can use as Michalanney points. Frampton probably leaves as a DFA because why would anyone pay anything in draft capital for him.

5) re-sign Himmelberg on a 1 year deal. We have no big man depth. McAsey, Frampton and Borlase are never playing regular football for us any way you slice it. Walker is near the end. We are not linked to any big name big men this off-season. Elliott is therefore a required player for at least one more year.

6) Delist all of Borlase, Davis, Rowe (and Frampton if nobody will give us pick 60 in a trade). It may also be necessary to downgrade a fringe senior player to the rookie list to give us some draft day flexibility - someone like Hinge or Himmelberg makes sense here. If this means delisting Turner is required to free up another rookie spot, then do it.

7) If we do retain a late first rounder in this year’s draft, we must use it on a classy mid. Not a scrubber mid who tries hard but can’t kick. Not a 190cm defender. Not a small forward. Not a forward of any description. A midfielder with classy skills. Oli Hollands, brother of Elijah, feels like the one who might sneak through to me. And who knows, maybe Crows fan Elijah would like to come and play with his brother in a couple of years 😍

7) Our second rounder is still likely to fall before a Michalanney bid IMO, so use that on a key defender if there is one there with the required talent level. If we didn’t retain a 2022 first rounder, use this pick on the best available mid, and maybe target a mature age key defender from the SANFL, WAFL or VFL with a rookie pick.

Rankine, a classy mid (Hollands), a key defender, and Michalanney would be a nice offseason.
Yes, I have said this recently - we shouldn't go another trade period without gaining that classy mid that everyone(including Crows coaching staff) say we need urgently. Hollands is quite impressive.

Why? Seems miles off it and it can't be talent that's making him barely SANFL worthy. Another year like 2022 and we get nothing for him at all.
He doesn't look like getting close to being AFL level at this stage, but perhaps the Fog roller coaster should have taught us something.

Maybe, just maybe, we need to be patient and wait and see what happens with players - particularly guys who play 'tall'. It's a very difficult transition for most and yes, it can take some time.
Not everyone will have a breakthrough like Fog, but they it's probably worth giving it some time to see.

He doesn't look like getting close to being AFL level at this stage, but perhaps the Fog roller coaster should have taught us something.

Maybe, just maybe, we need to be patient and wait and see what happens with players - particularly guys who play 'tall'. It's a very difficult transition for most and yes, it can take some time.
Not everyone will have a breakthrough like Fog, but they it's probably worth giving it some time to see.
Yes, I think one more season will do it. I have been to a couple of Crows SANFL games this year & the thing that strikes me about McAsey is that he is obviously a natural footballer. So whether it's the slow development of a tall or the other issues he has had(or both) I hope he & the club want to at least see out his current contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back