Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those number should silence the night grand final brigade. Makes little difference when it is played.

Not sure if serious.

Prime time ( night Grand Finals ) will always be superior than 2pm Saturday afternoon in terms of ratings.

Why do you think the NRL have the GF on a Sunday night?

Sunday night definitely does help them, can you imagine how dire those numbers would look played early Saturday afternoon?

I actually thought a big Western Sydney Derby, with so many wanting to jump on the Parra bandwagon after a 38 year premiership drought, was going to generate absolutely massive interest, and that that would show in the TV ratings.

Is that HT scoreline enough to scare most neutrals off tuning into the 2nd half. I'm not sure it is. I think the real truth is that an all Sydney grand final just doesn't generate the same widespread interest as an all Melbourne AFL grand final - I think that's the real point of all of this.

And with Penrith, I mean seriously, unless you lived in that locale, who the hell would ever have a soft spot for Penrith??

I think people overstate the appeal of a local derby - to get good ratings nationally you really need interest from as wide an area as possible. The all Melbourne grand finals we had the last couple of years were saved by the fact they were at night (and Melbourne lockdowns) so the TV numbers were still strong.

If you didn't live in West Sydney, would you really have given a s**t about the outcome? It's just another game. If the Broncos were in it you can probably add another half a million people just in Brisbane.

Not sure if serious.

Prime time ( night Grand Finals ) will always be superior than 2pm Saturday afternoon in terms of ratings.

Why do you think the NRL have the GF on a Sunday night?
See above.

NRL GF has been Sunday since 1982, was 3pm for years, then night, then twilight 2008 - 2012. There was virtually no difference in the NRL ratings when they moved from 5pm back to night in 2013. In fact 2012 at 5pm is their highest rating GF ever. If Monday was not a holiday, reckon it would still be 5pm rather than in prime time.

Last edited:
See above.

NRL GF has been Sunday since 1982, was 3pm for years, then night, then twilight 2008 - 2012. There was virtually no difference in the NRL ratings when they moved from 5pm back to night in 2013. In fact 2012 at 5pm is their highest rating GF ever. If Monday was not a holiday, reckon it would still be 5pm rather than in prime time.

Yeah that was then, this is now.
Why don't they play it at 2pm in middle of day on Saturday now if it makes no difference. Because they are smart.

Prime time is always the smartest option, if ratings are your priority.

Everyone knows less people are watching tv middle of the day. Sports, jobs, shopping, other engagements etc

Anyway, it is extraordinary that the AFL continually gets higher ratings than the NRL for its grand final despite the fact that it's played in what is the weakest rating time slot of the whole week (and conversely, Sunday night is one of the highest rating time slots of the whole week).

It's even more extraordinary given this was the flattest and most boring grand final since the cats thrashed Port 15 years ago.

Anyway, it is extraordinary that the AFL continually gets higher ratings than the NRL for its grand final despite the fact that it's played in what is the weakest rating time slot of the whole week (and conversely, Sunday night is one of the highest rating time slots of the whole week).

It's even more extraordinary given this was the flattest and most boring grand final since the cats thrashed Port 15 years ago.

That´s right. Imagine what would happen if the AFL played their great final same time slot as NRL.

Be a complete white wash.

Can´t believe some people are still in denial/deluded about which is the more popular/bigger event.

No, because there was 17k there.
What's with the fixation with Leederville's Oval's capacity ?
The record for Leederville Oval is 24k and I've been there with a 22k.
Nothing much has changed except probably people are quoting a comfortably seated figure.
17k seems the right figure IMO.
people quote capacities as if they mean everything about the ground. The listed capacity and the actual capacity can be 2 very different things, certainly when a hill is part of the ground.

'A-League soccer team Melbourne Victory is set to become the most valuable privately-owned sports club in Australia after clinching a deal with an American investment firm making the club worth up to $50m.
Miami-based 777 Capital, which is also backing start-up airline Bonza’s entry into the Australian aviation market, will be announced as a Victory shareholder and investor on Wednesday morning,

Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro would not comment on the valuation of the deal, but it is understood to involve 777 Capital investing between $5m and $10m into Victory for a minority stake that would likely value the club at between $40m and $50m.'

Melbourne Victory in record sports club valuation as US firm buys into A-League club​

'A-League soccer team Melbourne Victory is set to become the most valuable privately-owned sports club in Australia after clinching a deal with an American investment firm making the club worth up to $50m.
Miami-based 777 Capital, which is also backing start-up airline Bonza’s entry into the Australian aviation market, will be announced as a Victory shareholder and investor on Wednesday morning,

Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro would not comment on the valuation of the deal, but it is understood to involve 777 Capital investing between $5m and $10m into Victory for a minority stake that would likely value the club at between $40m and $50m.'

Melbourne Victory in record sports club valuation as US firm buys into A-League club​

That's interesting, I had heard about Bonza's sponsorship deal, I didn't realise that they were also closely connected with this new equity partner.

I reckon both the Bonza Airlines (how many el cheapo airlines have gone broke in Australia in the last 30 years?) and the Victory investment will turn out dud deals for the Yanks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people quote capacities as if they mean everything about the ground. The listed capacity and the actual capacity can be 2 very different things, certainly when a hill is part of the ground.
Well, given that the capacity is supposed to be the total number of patrons what can fit into a ground, it is probably fair enough that venues know their capacity. How else do they work out what amenities are required?

Well, given that the capacity is supposed to be the total number of patrons what can fit into a ground, it is probably fair enough that venues know their capacity. How else do they work out what amenities are required?
The listed capacity and the actual capacity can be 2 very different things. For example

Blundstone/York Park doesn't fit a nice square number like they are listed. They know what the actual figure capacity is, and how many tickets they can actually sell. They would also know presales and the walk-up expectations on the day. all that helps with staffing on event day

The T20 Australia v West Indies game last night at the Metricon Stadium Gold Coast had only a handful there and this is an International match with the Australian National team playing = not looking at all good for the BBL this season!

Jeez, precisely 30 seconds of research shows the Broncos are worth over $100m.

The standard of journalism in this country......

The T20 Australia v West Indies game last night at the Metricon Stadium Gold Coast had only a handful there and this is an International match with the Australian National team playing = not looking at all good for the BBL this season!
Were those handful of people the only people in the country that new the match was on? Perhaps family?

I think thats the distinction the article is meant to be making.

As in the Broncos aren't privately owned?

Given they're both public companies, I don't understand that distinction. "Privately owned" in a sporting business context generally means not publicly (i.e government) or member owned.

The more likely explanation is that the journo is lazy and CBF finding out if what he was saying is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back