Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you're talking about sport in Australia then it's obvious it's history in Australia is important.

"More serious". Strange phrasing. Yes, women's sport in general has grown in Australia
but it's a question of relativity and degree.

yes, but it's a question of relativity and degree.

Never heard that but it's a question of relativity and degree.
FIFA itself could only be said to have taken women's World cups seriously for 20 years or so.

Prior to that, many people wouldn't have even known there was such a thing.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

The A League Womens comp get s**t crowds!
Western Sydney Wanderers V Melbourne Victory 436 and Perth Glory v Wellington Phoenix 700 this week already!
The Matilda's profile, and crowds, have steadily grown though.

It wasn't all that long ago that the Matilda's played a world cup warm up against New Zealand in a closed stadium, because they didn't want the expense of opening up the ground.

That wouldn't happen any more, they wouldn't dare ( and got blasted that time as well, to be fair)

FIFA itself could only be said to have taken women's World cups seriously for 20 years or so.

Prior to that, many people wouldn't have even known there was such a thing.

who could forget Sepp Blatter(long time FIFA Boss) saying that women should play in skirts and tight clothing as there is a lot of beautiful women

just think what would happen if he said that now.

I'm not questioning your figures just your interpolation.
Noticed on TV yesterday that the Womens Soccer World Cup coming to Australia. Have no idea who the power countries are-perhaps England and the USA.

The early days was about ex AFL players with a huge kick, at the end of their career going and giving it a go, as they had nothing much to lose - Darren Bennett, Sav Rocca, Ben Graham and Nathan Chapman who out of it, saw the opportunity at the next level down.

Prokick is about giving guys in their early twenties, who have a huge kick on them, but aren't necessarily the athletic beasts the AFL system wants, an opportunity to win a scholarship at a decent college, get a good education, have an interesting 4 years compared to a normal life at home working and playing amateur footy. And if there is real talent, get signed up by an NFL team and make more money than most AFL players do.
I know it's basic economics, supply and demand and all that, but it just doesn't sit well with me that a NFL gridiron kicker who simply comes on to kick a ball and then off again receiving no physical contact can be paid more than a bust-ya-guts AFL midfielder who runs half a marathon a game, needs to pass pinpoint by hand or foot while being exhausted as well as being on the receiving end of constant hard physical contact.

I know it's basic economics, supply and demand and all that, but it just doesn't sit well with me that a NFL gridiron kicker who simply comes on to kick a ball and then off again receiving no physical contact can be paid more than a bust-ya-guts AFL midfielder who runs half a marathon a game, needs to pass pinpoint by hand or foot while being exhausted as well as being on the receiving end of constant hard physical contact.

If Australia had a population of 314 million then things might be different.
Kickers and punters (Aussies are punters) can be sacked just like QBs though it's rare.

That in turn will see a rise in the amount of girls who want to play the game
It is likely that there will be a rise of some degree. However I also clearly remember that a group of Womens Soccer Captains said that AFLW is a formidable competitor for players.
The poms wont have Sammie to score some of their goals though. Her brother Eagles Daniel Kerr said she wanted to play our game back in the day but no opportunity.

Its not based off effort, its based off of a percentage of total revenue, and the NFL has a LOT of revenue. Punters arent well paid by the standards of the NFL, but you still need a good one, because a bad punt when your on your own goal line can cost you the game that puts you out of the finals.

Its not based off effort, its based off of a percentage of total revenue, and the NFL has a LOT of revenue. Punters arent well paid by the standards of the NFL, but you still need a good one, because a bad punt when your on your own goal line can cost you the game that puts you out of the finals.

Yeah and there's so few jobs. It's not like there are a thousand punters plying their trade for big dollars around the world, it's really the NFL or bust - or doing it for not much in the XFL, USFL or CFL.

It's good money if you can get it, but it's really, really, really hard to get.

Yeah and there's so few jobs. It's not like there are a thousand punters plying their trade for big dollars around the world, it's really the NFL or bust - or doing it for not much in the XFL, USFL or CFL.

It's good money if you can get it, but it's really, really, really hard to get.
Same is true of quarterback though. If you pin your hopes on an NFL career, and dont make it, not a lot of options. CFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is likely that there will be a rise of some degree. However I also clearly remember that a group of Womens Soccer Captains said that AFLW is a formidable competitor for players.
The poms wont have Sammie to score some of their goals though. Her brother Eagles Daniel Kerr said she wanted to play our game back in the day but no opportunity.
International competition is the pinnacle of team sport, and will see a rise in the amount of women/girl soccer players.

International competition is the pinnacle of team sport, and will see a rise in the amount of women/girl soccer players.
So, hockey for number 1 sport then?

There are numerous team sports that Australia has played at a high level internationally for years, which haven't gone anywhere.

For the world cup to give a sustained boost in player numbers, something has to change. Like girls suddenly discovering the world cup, or soccer's position on the world stage etc.

But how many girls need to learn this, who might be into sport?

Simple reality, majority of girls will not watch, or care, they just aren't into sport.

Girls into sport that might take up soccer, are already aware.

Girls that would likely be impressed enough by the WC, to take up soccer, are already playing imop.

And those playing something else are playing something else despite knowing about the Matilda's, and the world cup already, why would they change?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

International competition is the pinnacle of team sport,

In your opinion. plenty of national competitions that draw huge crowds, ratings and interest.

and will see a rise in the amount of women/girl soccer players.

Wow, punching like a marshmallow. In the world ? In Australia ? in NSW ? flat rise ? percentage rise ? a rise greater than natural increase ?
No sticking your neck out there and of course there's only opinion.

Simple reality, majority of girls will not watch, or care, they just aren't into sport.

Most girls getinto sport because there parents or school think it's a good idea.
Some follow their siblings or peers.
These days, the number one influence on girls is influencers and what are influencers into - not sport.

Another record for the biggest sporting event in Australia.

Meaningless - it's cumulative figures not a single event.
It's like saying a national league is an event with a whole season to work out the winner.
And the ratings are down - so they are losing people who cannot commit to sitting in the comfort of their own home to watch.

Will have to correct myself - The memory banks are not quite as good these days.
It was the Australian Womens Soccer Captain who said that the AFLW was formidable competition for players. Personally I think she may have been referring to the fact that AFLW players are edging to higher and higher full time payment over time.

Will have to correct myself - The memory banks are not quite as good these days.
It was the Australian Womens Soccer Captain who said that the AFLW was formidable competition for players. Personally I think she may have been referring to the fact that AFLW players are edging to higher and higher full time payment over time.
A lot of Women's soccer comps are Europe are already full time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back