Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BVOD - Broadcast Video on Demand - includes 9now, 7plus, Tenplay
TTV - Total TV - consolidated 7 day viewing inclusive of metro, regional, and bvod (live and delayed viewing)
STV - Subscription television
cons+7 - consolidated broadcast live and delayed viewing ratings up to 7 days out (used to form Total TV ratings and regional reporting).

The other one you'll see from time to time is VOZ (Virtual OZ) which is 28 day consolidated live and delayed viewing.

No this doesnt include Kayo or Stan.
Ta very muchly

Once the process starts, its really hard to stay out of. Very hard to justify why women playing at a national level in a sport where the men are paid well, aren't on pro contracts. Especially when the domestic leagues of most (all?) high profile domestic womens sports leagues are at least semi pro.

I'm a fan of American football, but something that annoys me is, when people talk about the superbowl they only talk about the half time entrainment. Personally I couldn't care less about it.

I'm a fan of American football, but something that annoys me is, when people talk about the superbowl they only talk about the half time entrainment. Personally I couldn't care less about it.
Agree about the halftime entertainment, but they will point out nearly 119 million tuned in for it this year
When i go to a football game i go for the football and not the entertainment

At some point financial sustainability will be addressed.
The IPL womens draft effect on cricket will be interesting to watch.
The Women’s IPL has lifted the salaries and rewards for the élite players. The AFLW cannot compete with the salaries offered in cricket and soccer - although this is the same I guess for AFL players when compared to the financial rewards at the elite level for cricket and soccer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Women’s IPL has lifted the salaries and rewards for the élite players. The AFLW cannot compete with the salaries offered in cricket and soccer - although this is the same I guess for AFL players when compared to the financial rewards at the elite level for cricket and soccer

Are you sure this is true? I read somewhere recently that there around 400 professional Australian soccer players, compared to around double the number of professional Australian Footballers i.e. there are roughly 800 players on AFL lists.

Happy to be corrected, but if I were to guess I'd say there are more Australians playing Australian Football professionally than any other sport. On that level, the financial rewards stack up pretty well. Obviously you're not going to end up with Lionel Messi salary levels, but that's obviously an extreme outlier in any case.

Are you sure this is true? I read somewhere recently that there around 400 professional Australian soccer players, compared to around double the number of professional Australian Footballers i.e. there are roughly 800 players on AFL lists.

Happy to be corrected, but if I were to guess I'd say there are more Australians playing Australian Football professionally than any other sport. On that level, the financial rewards stack up pretty well. Obviously you're not going to end up with Lionel Messi salary levels, but that's obviously an extreme outlier in any case.

Yeah if you compare the best player across the various professional sports the AFL player looks underpaid. But compare the 400th best player across the various sports and in the AFL that's a $200-300k a year player. In cricket you're playing grade cricket for nothing, in soccer you're probably in some state league for petrol money, in rugby league if you're young you might be on a minimum wage deal but if you're not you're in the state leagues, and in rugby union you probably aren't even playing first grade. Basketball you're at best in some NBL1 team earning nothing (and maybe not even that), and in every other Olympic sport you're not even in the carpark of the ballpark of getting a gig.

Yeah if you compare the best player across the various professional sports the AFL player looks underpaid. But compare the 400th best player across the various sports and in the AFL that's a $200-300k a year player. In cricket you're playing grade cricket for nothing, in soccer you're probably in some state league for petrol money, in rugby league if you're young you might be on a minimum wage deal but if you're not you're in the state leagues, and in rugby union you probably aren't even playing first grade. Basketball you're at best in some NBL1 team earning nothing (and maybe not even that), and in every other Olympic sport you're not even in the carpark of the ballpark of getting a gig.
Yes good point. At the very elite level we cannot compete with the international $ that soccer players and cricketers receive. But the salary of the 400th best AFL player (or even after the first quartile?) would be more than what the equivalent soccer and cricket player gets.

As mentioned above, the total payments for AFL players would be substantially higher than for any other sport ( the NRL would be even further ahead of third).

It's actually more true in the women's. I know that the 14 Aussie women who got women's IPL contracts also have Australian contracts, but if you look at the lower end, they are actually not much higher than the base AFLW salary that the 550th AFLW player gets (and probably less after CBA is signed).

The soccer would be the same. There would be, at best, a handful of players earning more than the best AFLW players. A lot of players on "professional" overseas contracts would be earning less than the minimum wage in the AFLW (just far more of their time would need to be committed).

People obsess over the handfuls earning the big bucks but the reality is that other sports can't compete with the AFL in part because of the more even distribution of money.

There were 40 or so AFLW players earning six-figure sums for season seven. About the same number for domestic women's cricketers in this country.

I know that the 14 Aussie women who got women's IPL contracts also have Australian contracts, but if you look at the lower end, they are actually not much higher than the base AFLW salary that the 550th AFLW player gets (and probably less after CBA is signed).
11 of Australia's 15 nationally contracted players (contracts which are worth $200k on average) were picked up in the WPL auction.

The other 3 Australians bought in the auction, for $52k-$78k, would be earning at least $100k from their domestic contracts + match payments here. And they'll potentially pick up $30k contracts in England.

As mentioned above, the total payments for AFL players would be substantially higher than for any other sport ( the NRL would be even further ahead of third).

It's actually more true in the women's. I know that the 14 Aussie women who got women's IPL contracts also have Australian contracts, but if you look at the lower end, they are actually not much higher than the base AFLW salary that the 550th AFLW player gets (and probably less after CBA is signed).

The soccer would be the same. There would be, at best, a handful of players earning more than the best AFLW players. A lot of players on "professional" overseas contracts would be earning less than the minimum wage in the AFLW (just far more of their time would need to be committed).

People obsess over the handfuls earning the big bucks but the reality is that other sports can't compete with the AFL in part because of the more even distribution of money.

Hard to ignore that comparing international sport dollars with Australian sport dollars is not comparing apples with apples.

Hard to ignore that comparing international sport dollars with Australian sport dollars is not comparing apples with apples.

There are two factors at play.
1. The total income divided by the number of participants. Thus single participant sports are paid more but there's very few of them.
2. The total for the relevant market. the U.S.A. is a huge market so elite American sports people are paid (generally) more.

Obviously AFL and NRL players are paid very well considering the size of the Australian market
and the "ease" of of becoming a participant.
i.e. If you want a decent chance of making some decent money then the percentage play are those leagues.
You certainly can earn more somewhere else but you greatly lessen your chances .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back