World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Round of 16) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Good old Babylon Bee lol

Never understand people that think it's funny to shit on sports like this. Especially weird in America where soccer is more popular than ever. There's plenty of sports I find boring/have no interest in, but I don't get kicks out of mocking them like this, especially right after the national team has just been knocked out.

Is it?
Isn't most the discussion here about wanting to grow the game to see further success? How do you achieve that when a short term goal is getting rd of people currently engaged in the sport?
I'm very much a 'once every 4 years' watcher other than checking out EPL highlights after the weekend to waste time at work, but my 10 year old has been up at 6 to watch every morning of the groups stage before school and loved it, despite never showing an interest in soccer before. Surely the sport wants him to be engaged, which means you need people like me to be engaged to sign him to clubs and maybe take him to a game or 2.
Like it or now, sporting social media is an important part of gaining and maintaining fans, being happy that there's less fan engagement probably isn't a good thing over all.

Having said that, if you are ok with how the sport is tracking then it does make more sense.

Don't think that's what he's saying, he's saying the people who shit on the sport or take joy out of seeing the side do poorly will disappear who are ones that clutter these threads.

Those that want to see it grow - as you say - are not that group.

Need to do a round (or multiple rounds) of cheap ticket deals over the next month to really capitalise. There's already people popping up in this thread who demonstrate the general mentality that if it isn't handed to them on a platter to go to games they'll find reasons to justify it being too difficult to do. Make it as easy for people to watch the A-League and hopefully get a committed audience.

Think you're being a bit harsh 🤣

Maybe those finding reasons are actually reasons they/I don't attend. Of course someone dedicated would find a way to watch/attend. But some of us don't even know games are on if we don't follow it.

Of course you will come back with "if you wanted to know if a games on you could just look it up."
The thing is soccer isn't one of my top sports so I dont look it up. I bet there's many out there like me. Who knows though if it was advertised/marketed better and we were told about it we would go to a game. You get a proportion of those people hooked... There's your audience.

Macarthur need to worry about filling the stadium they have. No point playing in a 3/4ers empty stadium as that'll just turn people off even more.

Why does Brisbane need a new one?

Fair enough on Glory, thought that process was improving the facilities which is what I meant by redeveloped.

Everyone assumes that teams just need bigger and better stadiums when smaller, boutique stadia is generally the way to go.
Agree the smaller boutique stadiums. AAMI stadium is about perfect.
What I meant is Brisbane need a boutique rectangular stadium for 20-30k. Not a huge eyesore with 55k capacity.
Also Adelaide does need to upgrade theirs.

Think you're being a bit harsh 🤣

Maybe those finding reasons are actually reasons they/I don't attend. Of course someone dedicated would find a way to watch/attend. But some of us don't even know games are on if we don't follow it.

Of course you will come back with "if you wanted to know if a games on you could just look it up."
The thing is soccer isn't one of my top sports so I dont look it up. I bet there's many out there like me. Who knows though if it was advertised/marketed better and we were told about it we would go to a game. You get a proportion of those people hooked... There's your audience.

Actually didn't mean it to be harsh which is why I'm saying give them no excuse, make it as easy as possible.

Agree the smaller boutique stadiums. AAMI stadium is about perfect.
What I meant is Brisbane need a boutique rectangular stadium for 20-30k. Not a huge eyesore with 55k capacity.
Also Adelaide does need to upgrade theirs.

Again, Roar do have a boutique stadium that they've been playing out of for a number of seasons now.

They don't even fill that though so not sure they need something with more than twice the capacity.

Is it?
Isn't most the discussion here about wanting to grow the game to see further success? How do you achieve that when a short term goal is getting rd of people currently engaged in the sport?
I'm very much a 'once every 4 years' watcher other than checking out EPL highlights after the weekend to waste time at work, but my 10 year old has been up at 6 to watch every morning of the groups stage before school and loved it, despite never showing an interest in soccer before. Surely the sport wants him to be engaged, which means you need people like me to be engaged to sign him to clubs and maybe take him to a game or 2.
Like it or now, sporting social media is an important part of gaining and maintaining fans, being happy that there's less fan engagement probably isn't a good thing over all.

Having said that, if you are ok with how the sport is tracking then it does make more sense.

It’s more about coming on here and being respectful. If the idea is to come on here and trash Australian football or players or the sport itself, then we don’t need that on here. If a person comes on here for the first time during the World Cup and can be respectful, welcome aboard.

We have had a lot of the former on here during this World Cup. That was more what I was saying.

Actually didn't mean it to be harsh which is why I'm saying give them no excuse, make it as easy as possible.

Fair. Since the WCs been on me and my mate are planning on going to watch an A League game.

Wonder if we will have to google when the next games on or if it we will see and ad on TV or it will pop up on our social media feeds.

I'm guessing the former

Fair. Since the WCs been on me and my mate are planning on going to watch an A League game.

Wonder if we will have to google when the next games on or if it we will see and ad on TV or it will pop up on our social media feeds.

I'm guessing the former

The last round of games was one of the most exciting set of fixtures, with every game being a high scoring, exciting affair. Hoping the first round back is similar.

I see plenty of A-league advertising on social media so wonder why it's not hitting people with interest in football. But yeah if you jump on Ticketek and google whichever team you want to go watch, it's not that difficult to arrange to go.. tickets are pretty cheap too.

nah Hindmarsh is perfect for Adelaide Uniteds needs

Whenever they play at Adelaide Oval it's too far from the field and feels distant and crappy.

Hindmarsh is compact and perfect.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Best football ground in the country.

Not true. You don't have to be with Optus to get Optus Sports. There's two games a week on FTA for the A-League too, so not quite sure I agree that accessibility is as big an issue as you're making it out to be.

As I suggested above, if people are keen to watch/attend, it's right there for them, but they'll always find an excuse not to watch or go if it's not handed to them on a platter.

You have Kayo/Foxtel, but that's your decision and choice - you also get through Foxtel plenty of football, including the Championship, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc with highlights shows and everything. Through Channel Ten you get two A-League games FTA every week, with more available if you want to pay (the very cheap) Paramount+ subscription (or, I guess, head to the game live).

I'm as guilty as anyone of following the EPL over the A-League, but I do follow Fiorentina some, and I saw a game at the Artemio Franchi in 2019.

Imagine that the defensive momentary lapse for Arg's second goal didn't happen for a second, geez that would have made that last shot on goal a heart stopper! Good effort Socceroos!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And this is why the World Cup finishing in 2 weeks will be a good thing for this board.

The 20 or so “new” people posting on here only because it’s the World Cup will disappear, not to be seen on here again until 2026. That’s a good thing.
Lol this board sucks anyway, bunch of hyper sensitive flogs.

It’s more about coming on here and being respectful. If the idea is to come on here and trash Australian football or players or the sport itself, then we don’t need that on here. If a person comes on here for the first time during the World Cup and can be respectful, welcome aboard.

We have had a lot of the former on here during this World Cup. That was more what I was saying.
Why can't you handle criticism of the shit Australian players? Don't be so sensitive. Australia is shit at football nothing to see here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back