Autopsy 2022 Rd 8 3rd Quarter Blue Blitz Downs the Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You know full well I'm referring to the game on the weekend, where he had 6 pressure acts total and 1 tackle. You also know how I feel about pressure acts as a stat when a player doesn't secure tackles or genuinely corral anyone. It's a junk stat if the definition is too loose.

No one is questioning Fisher's footy IQ.

Take ScoMo's call, he could use your spin doctoring.

Who do want to play high half forward instead of Fisher from the 2s? This allows us to weigh up your general points. It also allows us to look at the weaknesses of the player you want to replace him with.

I just watched the replay again and I don't think our last quarter was as bad as some people are making out.

Win was in the already in bag and they outscored us by 3 goals. I reckon we held up pretty well.

I'm surprised if anyone is concerned about the last quarter.

Cue in the rack. Nothing to worry about.

Another tough game to get a read on because of how Adelaide capitulated for half the game, but in the end our tactical strengths just walked all over theirs.

It's ridiculous how little attention they gave to Fisher, or made any effort to draw defensive effort from him the other way. Bruise free football from the Crows.

You know full well I'm referring to the game on the weekend, where he had 6 pressure acts total and 1 tackle. You also know how I feel about pressure acts as a stat when a player doesn't secure tackles or genuinely corral anyone. It's a junk stat if the definition is too loose.

No one is questioning Fisher's footy IQ.

Take ScoMo's call, he could use your spin doctoring.

Spin, in singling out one player?

That the Crows played little attention only in regards to Fisher in an 8 goal loss

Good luck with that campaign

Not sure we're advanced that far we can just put the cue in the rack...reinforces bad habits for mine. Add to that we have a pretty ordinary (improving) percentage, I think it's time we try and keep the foot on the pedal the entire game.

Not sure we're advanced that far we can just put the cue in the rack...reinforces bad habits for mine. Add to that we have a pretty ordinary (improving) percentage, I think it's time we try and keep the foot on the pedal the entire game.

Watch the fourth quarter again - we didn't rest on our laurels at all. Defensive workrate and pressure was still high, we were still taking the game on offensively. Adelaide won more of the contested ball, applied more pressure than previous quarters, and took some risky plays down the middle that paid off.

Melbourne put the cue in the rack after half time.

There was no need to overexert, 50 points was still a great percentage boost anyway.

Watch the fourth quarter again - we didn't rest on our laurels at all. Defensive workrate and pressure was still high, we were still taking the game on offensively. Adelaide won more of the contested ball, applied more pressure than previous quarters, and took some risky plays down the middle that paid off.
We had the first 7 I50 of the quarter, all of which were really good chances to score goals. Their first I50 resulted in a soft free in front of goal. While H had 5 frees and no marks for the game he could have received a free at pretty much every contest as Butts never actually competed for the ball.

There 5 last quarter goals came from 2 iffy frees, a screamer from McAdam, poor guarding space/over committing by Fish and a poor kick from Walsh missing a target inboard. We had more chances but failed to get it on the scoreboard

This 100%

An away game looming against GWS that we normally lose, then Sydney only 5 days later.
Was the smart decision to sacrifice a few percentage points in order to boost out chances for another 8 premiership points.

GWS are the most contested team in the AFL right now, most tackles including most tackles I50. We only win this weekend with maintained high-pressure contested footy.

Who do want to play high half forward instead of Fisher from the 2s? This allows us to weigh up your general points. It also allows us to look at the weaknesses of the player you want to replace him with.
I want us playing an extra midfielder and rotating through there, but that's contingent on Fisher's ability to run out games. Endurance base and physical pressure are his weaknesses historically, but that needs to be balanced around his history of ankle issues over the last 2 years and physical progress he has likely made.

Longer term the prudent move may still be to trade him in order to better balance our list and 22, but I'm not going to shun him if his form is good. It helps the team, and it helps his trade value.
Spin, in singling out one player?

That the Crows played little attention only in regards to Fisher in an 8 goal loss

Good luck with that campaign
He was the clear cut statistical example demonstrating that Adelaide were blindly rushing the ball up the field and putting themselves completely out of position to cover any turnover.

Q: When was the last time Fisher took 8 marks?
A: Never, in fact it's only the 6th time he's had more than four marks in 81 games, and he's only reached a tally of four in 7 other matches. He'd never taken more than 6 marks before this game.

He played his game without any opposition pressure, and seemingly any requirement to pressure them back. That's me roasting Adelaide, not Fisher.

Last time he was getting this many direct passes by foot was 2019 so hopefully it's a good indicator, but the teams he's been seeing these numbers against this year are Gold Coast (5), North Melbourne (6), and now Adelaide (8). Two of those four mark games were this year as well, so hopefully we're seeing him finally get involved enough as an outside mid and high half forward, but I still question the quality of his pressure, not the quantity.

Offensively, I want this form to be maintained against quality opposition, even if it doesn't eventuate in the same scoring output, whether it be goals or assists. What I want to see less of is him eating up time in possession by running out of space and putting the next link in the chain under pressure because he was ignoring that same solid option earlier.

The knock-on he made in the corridor was good progress in correcting that, and I hope the coaches highlight that play and demand it of every player when it's their turn.

Last edited:
He was the clear cut statistical example demonstrating that Adelaide were blindly rushing the ball up the field and putting themselves completely out of position to cover any turnover.

Q: When was the last time Fisher took 8 marks?
A: Never, in fact it's only the 6th time he's had more than four marks in 81 games, and he's only reached a tally of four in 7 other matches. He'd never taken more than 6 marks before this game.

He played his game without any opposition pressure, and seemingly any requirement to pressure them back. That's me roasting Adelaide, not Fisher.

Last time he was getting this many direct passes by foot was 2019 so hopefully it's a good indicator, but the teams he's been seeing these numbers against this year are Gold Coast (5), North Melbourne (6), and now Adelaide (8). Two of those four mark games were this year as well, so hopefully we're seeing him finally get involved enough as an outside mid and high half forward, but I still question the quality of his pressure, not the quantity.

Offensively, I want this form to be maintained against quality opposition, even if it doesn't eventuate in the same scoring output, whether it be goals or assists. What I want to see less of is him eating up time in possession by running out of space and putting the next link in the chain under pressure because he was ignoring that same solid option earlier.

The knock-on he made in the corridor was good progress in correcting that, and I hope the coaches highlight that play and demand it of every player when it's their turn.
So the clear cut statistical example that the Crows only excluded from applying pressure to Fisher was the amount of marks he took? So based on that Newman, Young, Doc, Curnow had even less pressure applied to them. Truely bizarre analysis, surprised you haven't included the lack of hitouts

The players you want out, or single out never changes, continuing to falsify analysis and treating people on this board as fools. You have already admitted that Newman will be in your list of outs each week, we all know that Fisher, Newnes, Kennedy, Pitto are in the same bucket

This hole of yours with certain players is getting deeper and just don't have the courage to admit you are wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing we are seeing at last is a team start to understand itself.
Theres many factors in that.
Maturity of individuals is a big one.
A good number of players getting games together consecutively is another.
The coaching is clearly working but I think 2 years ago Voss would have had the same issues Teague had.
I reckon Voss is lucky in that respect and he knows it too.
Fisher is a good example of that slow confidence and belief in self and getting the hang of knowing where team mates are.
The rabbit in the sights look of so many players is vanishing as they find their way in the game and in an organized team.

So the clear cut statistical example that the Crows only excluded from applying pressure to Fisher was the amount of marks he took? So based on that Newman, Young, Doc, Curnow had even less pressure applied to them. Truely bizarre analysis, surprised you haven't included the lack of hitouts
You've just come off the back of quoting me citing his pressure stats for the game?? How's your short term memory going?

The two statistics highlight that he wasn't near anybody most of the game.
The players you want out, or single out never changes, continuing to falsify analysis and treating people on this board as fools. You have already admitted that Newman will be in your list of outs each week, we all know that Fisher, Newnes, Kennedy, Pitto are in the same bucket

This hole of yours with certain players is getting deeper and just don't have the courage to admit you are wrong
Fisher and Kennedy are now doing a decent job of keeping out of the bucket this year.

Now we may trade Fisher? Oh my
I would rather try and get value for Fisher and Kennedy before the start of the 2024 season than lose players like Honey, Cuningham, Motlop, Carroll, Kemp, JSOS, or Dow.

Is that difficult to understand?

I noticed the smalls do a fair amount of blocking off the ball giving the big guys a chop out and clean run at the incoming ball. Makes it difficult to be front and centre

Yeah, they were definitely setting up in front of the ball drop more in the earlier rounds. I wonder if this has been a conscious change in plan.

You've just come off the back of quoting me citing his pressure stats for the game?? How's your short term memory going?

The two statistics highlight that he wasn't near anybody most of the game.

Fisher and Kennedy are now doing a decent job of keeping out of the bucket this year.

I would rather try and get value for Fisher and Kennedy before the start of the 2024 season than lose players like Honey, Cuningham, Motlop, Carroll, Kemp, JSOS, or Dow.

Is that difficult to understand?

I didn't quote you at all, but I did respond to this

"playing the free role forward of centre"

You want to highlight one game where he has less pressure, while producing in a game where he had 23 touches and 2 goals?

You lack complete consistency. You state that it's based on the lack of pressure, in a game where he had 23 touches and 2 goals, yet in the below, after the Dockers game, you listed Fisher as an out, yet at least a dozen other players had less pressure

Unless Fisher or Kennedy request a trade, they won't be going anywhere

Like with Newman, past regimes and this current coaching group that has us 6-2 values Fisher and unless his form completely tapers off, that won't change

Curnow is our no.1 forward now. He's taken over from Harry imo as the main man inside 50. Though they complement each other excellently well. Harry a genuine tall marking target, then Charlie who's a big of a hybrid. Plays taller than he is but he's so good at ground level you can't afford to plonk a key defender on him as Charlie is likely to nick 2 or 3 off the deck if you're not careful, but if you put a medium/3rd tall with more mobility on him he plays taller than his height so will out mark/muscle them. Then obviously Harry is liable to take half a dozen contested marks inside 50 and kick 4 himself. Great combo.

Temper that though with the lack of crumbing our small fwds do. That's an area that if we get going then suddenly fwdline gets scary. Right now it's a little feast or famine.

Love the role Fisher is playing. Great to see they've shifted his role from Small Forward where he was in the first month or so to where is he now which is his perfect role. Anywhere from centre wing to the edge of 50 is where Fisher is at his most dangerous

I must admit I didn't see what the club were seeing in Boyd but I see it now. Probably won't give that performance every week but for the first time imo it looked like he believed he should be playing. Might be a simplistic overview but that's how it looks.

Something doesn't seem right with Weiters. He's never been accused of being fast but even by his standards he just looks slow this year. Not sure if he's carrying something or what, but there's no way 2020/2021 Weiters is being outrun by Tex bloody Walker every time on a lead. Walker is a good player, but fast he is not, and he was comfortably 10 metres ahead of Weiters at will.

Cerras best game, finally showed that classy kicking he's renown for. Has looked a little uneasy imo so far this season but last night it was there for all to see.

We dominated O'Brien. Usually reliable to win his position for the Crows or at worst halve it, but he was comprehensively outplayed. Wasn't as though TDK or JSOS had huge games but they completely stymied a structurally important O'Brien.
McKay isn’t 100% the leg and whatever else he’s carrying has him not at his absolute best…
Weitering same, hasn’t looked right all year, wonder what the go is there?

This 100%

An away game looming against GWS that we normally lose, then Sydney only 5 days later.
Was the smart decision to sacrifice a few percentage points in order to boost out chances for another 8 premiership points.

GWS are the most contested team in the AFL right now, most tackles including most tackles I50. We only win this weekend with maintained high-pressure contested footy.

It's a long season, I'm all for players conserving energy when the game is won if it helps us bring more energy to win the next week.

Certainly isn't yours, nor weekly changes, given you haven't come close with your 5-7 changes each week
I'm asking the match committee to rock the boat now so that we don't get picked apart by top 4 teams in September. There is such a thing as being too close to the action.

It can make you overrate individuals, or too risk averse at the wrong time.

I'm asking the match committee to rock the boat now so that we don't get picked apart by top 4 teams in September. There is such a thing as being too close to the action.

It can make you overrate individuals, or too risk averse at the wrong time.

Or in your case underrate players

We are still a 11-13 win side, not a contender, at this stage, Our immediate needs to become a contender is another ruck/forward and or spine players and injecting more speed

All of which can be accomplished without trading out pieces we still need

Back