• Richmond Tigers

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 15 1.1%
  • Port Power

Votes: 9 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hatley you got from GWS played a few games in 2021.

Dawson is one of the few crows mids in their prime. The rest are either 30 or over or 22 or under.

I do rate both pedlar and Brayden Cook. Both had games in 2021. Both play as wingers or forward flankers.

I am biased towards Brayden Cook as he is from my sanfl club in South Adelaide. But i knew he was going to get drafted after a very good season for souths in 2020.
Which of our mids are over 30? Our best 2 are 28 and 24 lol. Sloane and if you count the wings seedsman are the only 30+ midfielders we have.

Collingwood obviously deserve it, but in life things often don't work that way so I reckon Suns are in for some misery.

Never count your chickens until they're hatched ... thought you'd know that with your username :grimacing:

I just think that the Crows are on the right trajectory for gradual improvement...again outside of mass injuries I just can't see them not at least not matching the output of last year.

On close examination I think the Crows list is pretty dodgy.

Not much there in the core age 24-28yo group. Lots of young kids. 15 blokes with 10 games or less.

A few I've never heard of. Who is Ben Davis?

A few injuries and they are in all sorts.

Last edited:

Not much there in the core age 24-28yo group. Lots of young kids. 15 blokes with 10 games or less.

Interestingly they’re 18th for both average age and average games played for the upcoming season, so yeah, they would presumably be pretty vulnerable to injuries.

That said, they finished 2.5 wins ahead of the bottom team last season and they virtually have 3 “new recruits”, in Dawson, Crouch and Milera, which could help considerably. Offset somewhat by the losses of Kelly (7th in the B&F) and Lynch (who played in 5 of their 7 wins, from his 12 games).

Collingwood have 17 players with 10 games or less experience.

That's pretty bloody amazing when you think about it.

Young doesn't mean good though. Fine to have a lot of young players but they have to be talented as well. Too easy to pick up a million rookies and then claim your side will be good because they are young.

Adelaide played in 9 games decided by 12 points or less in 2021, winning 4 and losing 5, they were ultra competitive winning 7 games for the year.

2021 form doesn't count though. At least it doesn't for Hawthorn. It might for Adelaide. Depends on who is posting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2021 form doesn't count though. At least it doesn't for Hawthorn. It might for Adelaide. Depends on who is posting.
It gave me a chuckle too.

A few injuries and they are in all sort

Ben Davis was in Sydney’s academy but he should’ve been off our list years ago

Yes very few players in that age group. I don’t think we’ll be playing finals for 3+ years but hopefully we can keep our youngsters together so they’ll all be hitting their prime around the same time the only concerning thing imo is that a lot of our players I think are only going to be role players which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but I don’t think they’re legitimate game changers

edit just double checked he was ineligible to be picked by Sydney though because he didn’t nominate for the draft before he was 18

Last edited:
Young doesn't mean good though. Fine to have a lot of young players but they have to be talented as well. Too easy to pick up a million rookies and then claim your side will be good because they are young.
This is true. And that remains to be seen; won't know until they get more games into them.

And 10 of them were drafted in the last 15 months haven't debuted yet. 5 from November's draft (Daicos, Draper, Murley, Harrison, Dean) and 4 from the draft prior + mid season draft (Chugg,McMahon, McInnes, Johnson, Begg) haven't debuted. Then you'd got 3 who are speculative or depth. (Kreuger/Kelly/Wilson) But then you have Ginnivan, henry, Macrae (who have played 5-10 games)

Poulter, Bianco, McCreery are on 11/12 games.

If half of these players can be good players, I'll take that.

This is true. And that remains to be seen; won't know until they get more games into them.

And 10 of them were drafted in the last 15 months haven't debuted yet. 5 from November's draft (Daicos, Draper, Murley, Harrison, Dean) and 4 from the draft prior + mid season draft (Chugg,McMahon, McInnes, Johnson, Begg) haven't debuted. Then you'd got 3 who are speculative or depth. (Kreuger/Kelly/Wilson) But then you have Ginnivan, henry, Macrae (who have played 5-10 games)

Poulter, Bianco, McCreery are on 11/12 games.

If half of these players can be good players, I'll take that.
I think pies new coaching crew will have a much better player development edge the former crew didn't have. That will be a plus. The game style will need to change too. And I think it will with a fresh perspective.

I think pies new coaching crew will have a much better player development edge the former crew didn't have. That will be a plus. The game style will need to change too. And I think it will with a fresh perspective.
Oh 100% absolutely.
And from what I've seen at training -- the game plan has changed. Much more free flowing, based on pressure and run. None of this chip kicking that bucks used to get them to do.

Can't tell you how a breath of fresh air it is. But on thing to do it in training, another thing to do it in games. So we'll see. It won't be easy, and no doubt the Bucks habits won't be removed from them overnight; but I have a good feeling long term.

Things ive noticed: Brendan Bolton is loud for a small man. But I like it. Very commanding, challenges them to do things the way that will help them. To help educate them the best way possible (the teacher in him coming out)

Hawks will have all of - Sicily, Day, CJ, Impey and Gunston return to the side from missing significant time through injury. These guys are five of our best players and will especially help solidify our defence and transitional play.

I think their inclusion, coupled with a change in style that reflects what we played in the latter weeks of 2021, will see us finish higher than the bottom four again. I expect we will finish around WCE in 12th to 14th position.

Hawks will have all of - Sicily, Day, CJ, Impey and Gunston return to the side from missing significant time through injury. These guys are five of our best players and will especially help solidify our defence and transitional play.

I think their inclusion, coupled with a change in style that reflects what we played in the latter weeks of 2021, will see us finish higher than the bottom four again. I expect we will finish around WCE in 12th to 14th position.
Glass half full as per.

You could argue that given much of those players haven’t played in some time, and some even having had an interrupted preseason + the elephant in the room of a new coach and coaching staff and the unknown around that, how long it will take them to actually implement how Mitchell wants them to play consistently.

How often does a new coach take over a young group and they go up the ladder after one preseason?

Glass half full as per.

You could argue that given much of those players haven’t played in some time, and some even having had an interrupted preseason + the elephant in the room of a new coach and coaching staff and the unknown around that, how long it will take them to actually implement how Mitchell wants them to play consistently.

How often does a new coach take over a young group and they go up the ladder after one preseason?

Refer to my posting history, or ask anyone on the Hawks board - I'm certainly not a glass half full kind of poster. I've been calling out our strategy, our game plan, and Clarko for a few years now. I copped the classic BigFooty abuse for it.

IMO it was time for a change in multiple areas around the club. We saw Mitchell's influence on the side towards the end of the season (different midfield set-up, more attacking plan, etc) and as a result we played not only a much better brand of football, but we got some nice results too. Whether than continues is the question.

What isn't a question though is that including Day, CJ, Sicily, Impey and Gunston back into the line-up will help improve the side. They are five of our best dozen players.

It's hardly a controversial opinion to suggest that with those inclusions we are going to improve from 14th to the lofty heights of 12th to 14th (in my ladder prediction I had us at 14th again).

Refer to my posting history, or ask anyone on the Hawks board - I'm certainly not a glass half full kind of poster. I've been calling out our strategy, our game plan, and Clarko for a few years now. I copped the classic BigFooty abuse for it.

IMO it was time for a change in multiple areas around the club. We saw Mitchell's influence on the side towards the end of the season (different midfield set-up, more attacking plan, etc) and as a result we played not only a much better brand of football, but we got some nice results too. Whether than continues is the question.

What isn't a question though is that including Day, CJ, Sicily, Impey and Gunston back into the line-up will help improve the side. They are five of our best dozen players.

It's hardly a controversial opinion to suggest that with those inclusions we are going to improve from 14th to the lofty heights of 12th to 14th (in my ladder prediction I had us at 14th again).

Personally I think the changes in coaching will have a short term pain, long term gain effect on the Hawks. This appears to be neglected by many of the bright eyed Hawks posters on here. We keep hearing how the back half of the year was due to Mitchell’s influence, however I question how true that is as well as the obvious unknown of “how is he going to go when Clarko isn’t there to support him?”.

Those players you’ve mentioned are quality inclusions - Sicily & Gunston are senior quality, however how good are they going to be after 12 months of no footy? Are they back to their best? It’s another unknown. Day is a fantastic young player, but the concerns around his durability appear to have continued this preseason. A few key injuries in 2022 and you’ll be fighting it out for 18th, it’s just how it is with young sides.

A lot of unknowns around the Hawks in 2022. I’m sure I’ll be accused of being negative by the usual suspects, however I do think that the expectation that “it’s all up from here” is foolish.

Well yeah, that’s what you’d want a rebuilding list to look like. That way in 3-5 years time you have strong core of players in they’re prime.

Ben Davis was delisted and re-rookied with last spot on our list. There’s probably a few Sydney players I’ve never heard of.

Back