List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So the nonsense about Gardiner deciding whether to play on or not due to injuries and pain has been put to bed with an apparent multi year deal. If he was feeling so sore and in pain, would not be signing a multi year deal, or at least would not be offered one. My take is that he has been offered less and was testing his worth on the market. He is not tall enough to be a #1 or even arguably #2 tall defender with the taller mobile forwards, and his form has been ordinary. I did think some of the weaker teams eg Bombers, North etc could find his experience invaluable, and how hard he goes at it is a plus in a developing team. Anyway good luck to him if he has been offered a multi (4 or 5 year) contract.

Although Payne is still contracted I reckon he (along with Dev) will ask for a trade and both will probably have to go to weaker clubs to develop and get regular AFL games, that's footy I suppose. I am just also now wondering if Prior will stay...
Not sure Gardiner weighing up his future health issues and signing a contract are necessarily mutually exclusive - it may well have been a part of his thought process and he has nevertheless decided to go on. Sure, there may have been rightfully some interest from other clubs but that does not mean he has been shopping himself around or testing the market - just sensible due process from him and his manager.

Yes, Adams was awesome against Carlton.
Admittedly the best he has played since mid season.
But Adams in that form makes us a stronger team.
Payne is solid backup for any of the back 3 Kp’s.
Adams yes Andrews yes Gardiner?
I don't watch the VFL, and it's probably crystal ball stuff, but has Wilmot shown enough that a spot down back is his for the taking, next year?
I thought Carter Michael has shown a bit and played reasonably OK in his AFL debut against the Bombers. From what I have seen Wilmot also demonstrates good traits, disposal needs a little work.

Lohmann everyday of the week MUST be in the 22 next year

Adams yes Andrews yes Gardiner?

I thought Carter Michael has shown a bit and played reasonably OK in his AFL debut against the Bombers. From what I have seen Wilmot also demonstrates good traits, disposal needs a little work.

Lohmann everyday of the week MUST be in the 22 next year
We should just play him now.

We're not renowned for taking the plunge like for instance the Tigers have on unknowns over the last few years.

If we're to make something happen this year I'd be taking the punt.

We should just play him now.

We're not renowned for taking the plunge like for instance the Tigers have on unknowns over the last few years.

If we're to make something happen this year I'd be taking the punt.
But Fages won't, certainly not this late in the season. That's understandable as we are currently second, but last night was not as comfortable as I thought it should have been, but maybe the five day break although Saints were on a six day break.

Opposition game plan for the finals, put a true 'tagger' on Neal, even contested ball and stoppages and push out wide and expose our lack of speed and two way running. Have two tall forwards in good form to isolate both Andrews and Adams...sounds like the team leading the comp:

Adding Dunkley and Ashcroft alongside Neale, McCluggage, Bailey, Berry, Rayner and others give us a seriously good starting midfield.

Dunkley only 25 too. Perfect age for us to be targeting. Watched him today and he worked hard both ways. Big Yes.

Happy to let Dev, Berry Jnr, and Matho go on for more opportunities. I genuinely think they will do well but it’s an easy choice when you take out the emotion and focus on a flag.

Edit: Crazy that I’m already talking about Ashcroft like that but I can’t see him not being a star. Best youngster I’ve seen.

Last edited:
Payne is showing more composure with each outing and we'd be crazy to offload him given he's young ,strong and fit and some of the others have been knocked around for a few years.

Having said that Adams is a gun when he's fit and well and we should be aiming to try and get him in that state.
I agree - would hate to lose Payne, not sure why there is a discussion of people wanting to off load him.

Is Dunkley a realistic chance? If you asked me me to pick a player to add to our list from another team he'd be just about my number one choice but thought he has been set on remaining in Melbourne since his draft days and after last year you'd think Bombers would have laid the ground work to ensure he gets to them now that he's out of contract. I guess things change. Ashcroft and Dunkley in would be a dream off-season.

My sister who lives in Melbourne, took the family to the open day and my very outgoing 12 yo nephew got a stack of pics with a lot of the lads but anyway, my brother in law had a good chat to Dan McStay who still said he hadn't made his mind up. As I said to my brother in law, I doubt a player would actually talk about his future and contract status or say at an open day that he was leaving, so i take it with a grain of salt that he hadn't made his mind up - just thought I'd share. I wish it were so that he'd stay but I ve resigned a month or so go that he's gone.

Is Dunkley a realistic chance? If you asked me me to pick a player to add to our list from another team he'd be just about my number one choice but thought he has been set on remaining in Melbourne since his draft days and after last year you'd think Bombers would have laid the ground work to ensure he gets to them now that he's out of contract. I guess things change. Ashcroft and Dunkley in would be a dream off-season.

No clue. But if we end up with McStay out and Dunkley in then it is a huge win. Not entirely sure we have the assets to make it happen at the trade table.

If Fort’s good enough, I wouldn’t mind Oscar and him splitting 50/50 ruck/fwd if McStay goes. Oscar deep is always dangerous and a good choice late in the game as long as we have someone else in the side who can do their bit in the ruck. That’s when I think Oscar will be at his best.

My sister who lives in Melbourne, took the family to the open day and my very outgoing 12 yo nephew got a stack of pics with a lot of the lads but anyway, my brother in law had a good chat to Dan McStay who still said he hadn't made his mind up. As I said to my brother in law, I doubt a player would actually talk about his future and contract status or say at an open day that he was leaving, so i take it with a grain of salt that he hadn't made his mind up - just thought I'd share. I wish it were so that he'd stay but I ve resigned a month or so go that he's gone.

Yeah he’d have said the same thing to every single person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could be intending Lester retires and Gardiner plays VFL as the leader Payne plays AFL. We don’t know the value of the deal….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
no way their offering a multi year deal for Gardiner to play VFL. To be fair to Gardiner he is too good to be playing VFL.

I don’t know why he would.
He must have played atleast half the games so far this year.
It’s not like he is completely stuck in the twos.
I don't know that players are content not being first choice. Even Lester, who I think we've almost all recognised has a role as valuable insurance rather than first team lock, talks about how he can improve to get himself a first team spot.

If Payne has clubs chasing him with an identified need for a tall defender, then he'll surely consider it. Players want to know that they are valued and being told "you're our guy" is more persuasive than being told "we really like you but you're behind a couple of others".

I don’t know why he would.
He must have played atleast half the games so far this year.
It’s not like he is completely stuck in the twos.
Just checked his 2022 game stats on Lions webpage; 3 games, 4 games, 1 game = 8 out of 21 games in 2022.
He has only played AFL this year, if one of Gardiner, Adams or Andrews is out. If those three are fit he does not play. Hard decision for coaches that is understandable.
Payne has not played more than four consecutive games this year and then is dropped, not sure how a key defender can build AFL standard consistency being in and out of the team, as there is no Hawkins, McKay etc playing VFL.

Apparently still has two years left on his contract and a QLD kid so maybe he stays. Is 22 so would think he is not going to wait around for the other three. That is why I think Dev is gone also now that Aschcroft is coming and Matho holding his form, young talented players will not wait around forever (younger generation), it is different now to when the game was not a professional career back in the 80's. There is a short timeframe to build a professional career and I support players seeking opportunities, clubs are very quick to move on players when excess to needs.

Ok, here’s a little tid bit.

There’s 3 retired gentleman who sit and watch the Lions training at Yeronga every week.

I believe from listening to them talk, they are all ex state league players from way back in their hey days.

They know every coach and administrator by name, and it’s not usual to see different players, coaches and footy staff stop by and have a chat with them. Noble used to talk to them a lot.

Now one of these gentleman’s wife cooks dinner for the players every week, and they have a certain amount of the players over every week.

Aside from hearing about how much some of the boys eat, and what they like to eat, you also hear some interesting stories or news about all the players.

There are definitely people who know a LOT about the inner workings of the club and players. And some of these people have interesting discussions while watching the boys train.
Next time I talk to Doug I'll let him know he has an eavesdropper.

No clue. But if we end up with McStay out and Dunkley in then it is a huge win. Not entirely sure we have the assets to make it happen at the trade table.

If Fort’s good enough, I wouldn’t mind Oscar and him splitting 50/50 ruck/fwd if McStay goes. Oscar deep is always dangerous and a good choice late in the game as long as we have someone else in the side who can do their bit in the ruck. That’s when I think Oscar will be at his best.
I prefer the Big O spending the majority of his time in the ruck ie. at least 70%, to my eye O doesn't play as well when there is a relatively even share of ruck duties. Love how O has been playing lately with his Keating like punches forward, he is good with the ground ball and clearances in the middle for such a big man as well.

If Fagan wants to keep the 3 tall forward thing going I wouldn't mind Gunston for a couple of years or maybe Fullarton could play that role, has looked much improved this year in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back