List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we've picked up players who've got us where we are such as JL. I'd rather take a risk on someone who just might give us something extra rather than someone who will keep the wheels turning. We've had 4 years of success in terms of W/L. If we can't take the next step I'd be looking at someone who potentially could help us do that.
Got us no where??? Surely you are taking the piss…. We have been two kicks of making three consecutive prelims….

You play the team the coaches think are the best chance of winning a flag this season, the coaches are definitely of the opinion that Dan is in our best side.... whether a player is leaving or not is irrelevant.

Different story if we were in a rebuild though.
But why pick a guy who doesn't want to be at the club?

Seems dumb if you ask me. Can you really trust that he'll do all for the club and put everything on the line when as I said, he doesn't even want to be at the club anymore?

I'd have no problem if the club said that your not playing Dan if you don't want to be here.

I no they are different players but that is why I have no issue with Rhys being selected; he clearly bleeds for the club and his team mates and that is to be admired but not someone who cant wait to get out of the place is my rationale.

nearly all afl players are complete professionals, dan included. if he is truly collingwood bound then so be it. i dont doubt that he will fulfill what he signed on to with us and give it all on field and push to be a premiership player. we have him until at least the end of this year so lets make the most of it and thank him for his services at the end of it

nearly all afl players are complete professionals, dan included. if he is truly collingwood bound then so be it. i dont doubt that he will fulfill what he signed on to with us and give it all on field and push to be a premiership player. we have him until at least the end of this year so lets make the most of it and thank him for his services at the end of it
If for structural reasons (the coaching staff believe they would like a 2 ruck set up for particular matchups) and he is left out of the team then I would be happy for that too.
But he is a part of the Club and until trade period he is a Brisbane Lions players and deserves to be picked as much as anyone else.

I do find this a little hard to understand because after the news broke, there was a reported meeting between Neale, Manager and Club Officials the next day and if there was never any intention of leaving, you would think a Statement would have come from Neale and Club that day.
But we got a statement from the club saying that Lachie is taking some time to think it through.
It was only 3 or 4 days later that a statement came which was also thought to be sooner than expected because of all of the media scrutiny and wanting to put it to bed and take the pressure off.

The club also put things in place which Lachie alluded to yesterday that have made them more comfortable to stay longer term.

It seemed to me that the media storm actually worked in the clubs favour last year.

To me there was smoke and fire but things have definitely worked out best for his family and the Brisbane Lions football Club.
In your eyes yes.....in their eyes it was a nightmare never to forget.

Ive been around many professionals and non-professionals throughout my career, my partner's and heard stories from family and friends alike, inlcuding one relative that was an ex-vfl and -afl player and most instances, particularly as someone with a HR background is that when employees make a decision to leave one place of employment for another, they check out, do not live the standards of their current employer and do the minimum. I don't anyone could conclusively say that is any dirrenet to the modern afl player, although it isnt absolute either. When percentages matter such as the effort required and doing the extra is critical to winning a game of football, I dont think you can play someone if there is any doubt whatsoever which is why I start planning and rewarding those that do want to be here and not rewarding those that don't particulalry in a GF. All differences of opinion really.

Ive been around many professionals and non-professionals throughout my career, my partner's and heard stories from family and friends alike, inlcuding one relative that was an ex-vfl and -afl player and most instances, particularly as someone with a HR background is that when employees make a decision to leave one place of employment for another, they check out, do not live the standards of their current employer and do the minimum. I don't anyone could conclusively say that is any dirrenet to the modern afl player, although it isnt absolute either. When percentages matter such as the effort required and doing the extra is critical to winning a game of football, I dont think you can play someone if there is any doubt whatsoever which is why I start planning and rewarding those that do want to be here and not rewarding those that don't particulalry in a GF. All differences of opinion really.
That's a valid point McIvor. We play him because he's the best available and we need him but if he's definitely going and everyone knows it's no use pretending that that doesn't have some sort of mental effect. You wouldn't think he'd be too keen on getting injured to any significant degree either. Well no one is.

It's not ideal but I'm sure he'll be doing his best. I think he should be grateful to the club for persisting with him for a long time if he's able to land a lucrative contract.

That's a valid point McIvor. We play him because he's the best available and we need him but if he's definitely going and everyone knows it's no use pretending that that doesn't have some sort of mental effect. You wouldn't think he'd be too keen on getting injured to any significant degree either. Well no one is.

It's not ideal but I'm sure he'll be doing his best. I think he should be grateful to the club for persisting with him for a long time if he's able to land a lucrative contract.
Interesting in one of Robbo’s vlogs he said players looking to move generally talk to other clubs during the bye week and make their decision then. It sounds like McStay may have done just that. To my eyes he looked a bit disinterested last week, and as you say once you are even slightly checked out mentally your performance will drop off quickly. Will be very interesting to see how he performs this week. Hopefully he keeps putting in 100% otherwise he will be out of the side before too long.

I'd like Nick Larkey and Aiden Bonar if McStay leaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Nick Larkey but North would be mad to trade him out... he's not OOC until end of 2024. Not sold on A.Bonar.
Well they gave Melbourne a kind favour with Ben Brown over there, so surely they could at least give us one for a discounted price in Larkey for the good of the competition at the very least ;)

fog is actually looking like he wouldve been a steal if we got him on the cheap, been showing good signs for the last month and after another preseason could really shine

makes me confident the guys at recruiting have done their research and have a few ideas as to who we could bring in to make use of the cap space dan leaving would open up

I honestly think that we do have a couple who could potentially play that role, in Fullarton and Lane.
But after taking Ashcroft and Fletcher in the draft this year, possibly even before the pick for Fletcher if we can trade back in, we need to get some KP talent into the club, both forwards and backs.
We could probably find a KPD with a later pick.
A Bailey Fritch type?
What is his name Briz?
Not a Fritsch type.

Two boys I like, KPP’s from the Rebels, KPD Van Es, and KPF Cadman.

Cadman is a first round talent. Van Es is a late option.

Interesting in one of Robbo’s vlogs he said players looking to move generally talk to other clubs during the bye week and make their decision then. It sounds like McStay may have done just that. To my eyes he looked a bit disinterested last week, and as you say once you are even slightly checked out mentally your performance will drop off quickly. Will be very interesting to see how he performs this week. Hopefully he keeps putting in 100% otherwise he will be out of the side before too long.
Dan like a lot of our players are up and down.
The weeks they down everyone wants them gone
The weeks they are up everyone is see why we play them.

I would think seeing footy a professional environment if the coaching staff think he checked out as going. They notice it..

Talking to a current umpire he was people be surprised players mates with ones at other clubs.
They either played junior footy of nab league or another club, just introduced by mutual friends.
He said part of the game now players move or moved on. Fans get more upset then players do
they pretty much that is how it is.. Great if you stay understand if you go.

Clubs rarely know 100% that a player is leaving. I'd have thought that was obvious.
If you put a lucrative contract in front of him and he's not signing when he's not really a star player and it's all over the place that he's going to Collingwood with the details ,unless he assures them that he's not I think you'd presume he is.

It must cause some unrest no matter what anyone says but it's part of the game now and everyone acts as professionally as they can.

Clubs rarely know 100% that a player is leaving. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Maybe not 100%, especially contracted players. I suspect they know Dan is leaving though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back