List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key Dates:

Friday 07 October at 5.00pm

Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

Monday 10 October
NAB AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)

Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections

Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences

Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes

Friday 11 November at 9.00am

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences

Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
AFL Trade Period closes – selections only

Monday 21 November by 3.00pm

NAB AFL Draft Nominations close

Monday 28 November at 7.10pm

2022 NAB AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)

Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.

Tuesday 29 November

AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)

2022 NAB AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)

Wednesday 30 November

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
NAB AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)

Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm

Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Last edited:
Damien Barrett would have s**t canned North a multitude of times while B.Scott and Noble was coaching us. It makes me sick hearing him being best buddies with them now on trade radio.

I really should stop listening to trade radio, they have got Conor McKenna joining the cats too now.
If they got Conor Mcgregor on to do trade radio then that would be interesting.

Or as tito calls him, Gregor Mcconnor.

My ideal trade & draft period would play out something like this;

Logue for Future 2nd (PP)
Tucker for Future 3rd (PP)
Clark for Future 2nd
Get Bowes, Corbett & Pick 7 from GC for a salary dump. Potentially some swapping of later picks or futures

Split pick 7 for a future first and 2022 late first round pick (say around 15-18)

Take 1, and late first round to the draft. Pick Cadman @1 and one of Cowan, Hollands, Keeler or Hayes with the late first rounder.

If we have the list spots later on in the draft or in the rookie list take one of Lemmey, Scully or Petric as a developing key forward.

I really need some sort of ranking system for all the crap players on our, and other teams lists.
Is a spud worse than a shitman? Is a rubbish footballer worse than a potato? And how do our spuds compare to spuds across the league?
A potato is the absolute bottom of the barrel in the ranking system.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Clark for Future 2nd
Get Bowes, Corbett & Pick 7 from GC for a salary dump. Potentially some swapping of later picks or futures

Split pick 7 for a future first and 2022 late first round pick (say around 15-18)

Take 1, and late first round to the draft. Pick Cadman @1 and one of Cowan, Hollands, Keeler or Hayes with the late first rounder.

If we have the list spots later on in the draft or in the rookie list take one of Lemmey, Scully or Petric as a developing key forward.
Add pick 55 for Bedford and I wholeheartedly agree mate

Clark for Future 2nd

future second pp should get us both logue and tucker

future 3rd pp can be part of the bowes and pick 7 deal

or lumped in with original future second for clark

A potato is the absolute bottom of the barrel in the ranking system.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

There is a massive sponsorship opportunity being wasted at the moment between NMFC and Samboy.

Those old enough will recall the XXXX ad in the 80s with AB, Thommo, FatCat and some other Queensland cricketer hamming it up on a beach over some beers.

I can see the same thing with Lazzaro, Turner, Mahony and Spicer and a packet of chips.

Edit - Here's the ad. The fourth player is Ray Phillips.

Last edited:
There is a massive sponsorship opportunity being wasted at the moment between NMFC and Samboy.

Those old enough will recall the XXXX ad in the 80s with AB, Thommo, FatCat and some other Queensland cricketer hamming it up on a beach over some beers.

I can see the same thing with Lazzaro, Turner, Mahony and Spicer and a packet of chips.
It would be too meta for the players

TUCKER NARROWS IN ON NORTH​

DARCY Tucker is set to forge ahead with his move to North Melbourne after doing his due diligence this week after the uncertainty surrounding Roos coach Alastair Clarkson.

Clarkson will delay his commencement as coach of North Melbourne to participate in the AFL's investigation into serious allegations made against the coach during his time at Hawthorn.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The Fremantle midfielder had nominated North Melbourne as his preferred new home days before the bombshell Hawthorn report, but is expected to follow through with his move to the Kangaroos.

He is likely to meet with the Roos again next week in Melbourne, with Tucker contracted for 2023 at Fremantle but the Dockers open to trading him given his personal pull back to Victoria.

Griffin Logue is also still keen to get to Arden Street on a five-year deal, with the Roos expected to offer their future second-round pick, given to them from the AFL as part of their assistance package, to land the Dockers key defender. – Callum Twomey

I will say FA was introduced to placate the AFLPA not for equalisation as it was sold as.
It was never about equalisation. It was always about the players having some rights to choose their employer. Draft and salary cap are the equalisation measures, along with disequal funding so every club can afford a fully resourced footy department. Compo picks are designed to take the edge off the rich-get-richer aspect Of FA But are also not really an equalisation measur per se.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contender or pretender? It shapes as a defining summer for St Kilda and several key calls must be made. But the Saints have been given a big warning about offloading young talent.

Gary Buckenara
September 29, 2022
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

St Kilda fans must be getting impatient – and I don’t blame them.
In Brett Ratten’s fourth season at the club, the Saints missed the September party again.
The Saints showed good form – at times – in 2022, but they remain too inconsistent with their performances.
They are a bit like the proverbial box of chocolates; you’re never too sure what team you’re going to get from week to week.
The Saints probably haven’t had the best run with injuries, but all clubs can point to players that have missed as an excuse.
The biggest issue is the quality of top-end talent compared to the top-four sides and their skill execution going forward is also a concern.

They have an A-grade ruckman in Rowan Marshall – now with the stage to himself after the retirement of Paddy Ryder – who can win stoppages, but the Saints are unable to capitalise by hand or foot going forward.

Overall, the Saints have been a let-down again in 2022. This group, as it stands, is not capable of being a serious challenger or winning a flag.

If they are to have any chance of becoming a contender in the next couple of years, they will need to improve their skill level and decision making, which can be hard to do.

Adding elite, skilled players via the draft and through trade is one way but it takes time to integrate them into the team.

The Saints have already farewelled four players from their list with the retirements of Jarryn Geary, Dan Hannebery, Dean Kent and Ryder.

It’s time for the Saints to invest in more players through the draft as their stocks of 21-and- under players is too low.

They have invested in recycled players and traded players for them, which hasn’t always paid off.

Investing in players via the draft and developing them, rather than going for depth players needs to be the list management plan.

Brad Hill, Ryder, Zak Jones and Dougal Howard all added to the list, but it is time to have a look at highly skilled and footy-smart young players.

Captain Jack Steele leads the Saints’ A-grade players, while young forward Max King has developed quickly into top-line talent.

King is the kind of young star a club can build a flag-winning team around and the Saints would want to make sure they don’t waste too many of his burgeoning years.

Jack Sinclair’s All-Australian season elevates him to A-grade status, while Jack Billings’ talent defied an injury-hit year when he was restricted to just eight senior games.

HOW THE RATINGS WORK

At a club level, player ranking is generally based on gradings of A+, A, B+, B, C+, C and the developing players.

My rankings will focus on A, B, C and for the developing 20-year-old and under players will be rated as rising stars (RS) and those that need more time (NMT).

With the younger players, it is important to consider who is coming through and those who need longer to develop.

The most important areas for clubs to look at is how many A and B ranked players they have as well as the rising stars, who I believe should be A and B-grade players in the future.

A

Seb Ross, 29, 187cm, 86kg

Jack Steele, 26, 187cm, 91kg

Max King, 21, 202cm, 97kg

Jack Billings, 26, 185cm, 82kg

Rowan Marshall, 26, 201cm, 105kg

Jack Sinclair, 27, 181cm, 82kg

Callum Wilkie, 26, 191cm, 88kg

B

Nick Coffield, 22, 191cm, 88kg

Zak Jones, 27, 182cm, 80kg

Jade Gresham, 24, 177cm, 80kg

Brad Crouch, 28, 186cm, 85kg

Hunter Clark, 23, 186cm, 83kg

Dan Butler, 26, 182cm, 80kg

Bradley Hill, 28, 182cm, 80kg

Dougal Howard, 26, 199cm, 97kg

Ben Long, 24, 183cm, 80kg

Jack Higgins, 23, 178cm, 79kg

Josh Battle, 23, 193cm, 92kg

Tim Membrey, 28, 188cm, 88kg

Jimmy Webster, 28, 188cm, 84kg

Daniel McKenzie, 26, 184cm, 83kg

C

Ryan Byrnes, 21, 180cm, 81kg

Jack Bytel, 22, 189cm, 84kg

Jarrod Lienert, 27, 195cm, 88kg

Mason Wood R, 28, 192cm, 87kg

Ben Paton, 23, 186cm, 83kg

Tom Highmore, 24, 193cm, 89kg

Tom Campbell, 30, 201cm, 105cm

Cooper Sharman R, 21, 193cm, 83kg

Jack Hayes, 25, 193cm, 91kg

Developing (20 years and under)

Rising stars:

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, 19, 187cm, 71kg

Marcus Windhager, 19, 185cm, 85kg

Needs more time:

Mitch Owens, 18, 190cm, 85kg

Oscar Adams, 18, 197cm, 85kg

Matthew Allison, 20, 195cm, 79kg

Leo Connolly, 20, 181cm, 78kg

Max Heath R, 19, 204cm, 93kg

Jack Peris R, 18, 176cm, 69kg

Josiah Kyle R, 18, 182cm, 72kg

LIST BREAKDOWN

A-Grade: 7

B-Grade: 14

C-Grade: 9

Rising stars: 2

Need more time: 7

Retired: Jarryn Geary, Dan Hannebery, Dean Kent, Paddy Ryder,

Delisted:

Darragh Joyce

LIST NEEDS

St Kilda’s list, with 23 A, B and rising star players, has got depth but inconsistent efforts still hurt them. The Saints have some promising C-grade players who have emerged from the development categories and hopefully some will continue to develop into A or B-graders in the next few years. I think Tom Highmore and Jack Hayes can definitely elevate themselves with a decent run at it next season. But the number of development players remains too low and they need to invest in this draft to bolster to ensure the future of their list. The Saints need to focus on players with elite kicking skills as this lets the team down far too often going forward. They can win the stoppages well, but too frequently butcher the ball entering F50. This is one reason why players such as Brad Crouch and Zak Jones are rated B grade.

TRADE TARGETS

The Saints have been courting Jordan De Goey, whose future remains in the air. Even though he had a good finals series, my advice would be buyer beware. Has the leopard changed his spots? At his best on the field, De Goey would be an A-grade pick-up and worth a first-round selection. But will he ever realise his immense talent? It’s a big contract they would need to offer and for me it’s a ‘no’. It’s too big a risk to take if it goes pear-shaped. That’s not to say the Saints shouldn’t keep their options open to who else might become available during the trade period, especially if there is a good midfielder with pace and elite foot skills on offer. Maybe they could bring in Matt Crouch to join his brother? Despite a knock on his kicking, I think he uses the ball well, although he doesn’t have great leg speed. The upside is he wouldn’t cost them anything.

TRADE BAIT

The Saints have a lot of A and B-ranked players, so I would be testing the market to see who might tempt rival clubs in a bid to get another early pick. Brad Hill is open to exploring his options to join a fourth club, while Ben Long wants to continue his career at the Gold Coast Suns. But the Saints won’t get early picks for either of those players; maybe a second-round for Hill given salary considerations and a third-round for Long. Nick Coffield, Jade Gresham or Hunter Clark might appeal to some clubs, but their recruiting team has to weigh up the benefits versus the negatives of trading these types of players and what they can get in return. But I think the Saints have to explore these options, especially when the list, as it stands, is unlikely to win them a flag.

The Saints need a first-round pick for Hunter Clark who has long been considered their best young talent alongside Max King.

It’s the same story with Nick Coffield and Jade Gresham, it has to be an early pick if the Saints are going to win out on this deal. If not, then they are better off holding the young talent as they aren’t flushed with it.
Saints 7 A graders? Wowsers And *ing lol.

Can anyone tell me how Carlton are going to get a compensation pick for Liam Jones going to Bulldogs after leaving them before the season started due to Covid vaccine issues, and playing for a Qld club all year, i thought they were given an extra rookie spot or something at the time.

As to Geelong and Bowes, they can't fiddle the books, the amount counted towards the TPP is the greater of the original contract or the adjusted contract, so you can front load more but you can't move any of the old contract backwards.

COULD HAWK RECONSIDER RETIREMENT?​

LIAM Shiels announced his retirement at the start of the month after 255 games across 14 seasons for Hawthorn, but the door might still be ajar for the veteran midfielder to play on in 2023.

The 31-year-old was squeezed out of the Hawks' best side in 2022, managing only nine games in the 22 – he was the medi-sub on four other occasions – as the Hawks pursued youth under new coach Sam Mitchell.

But despite appearing in the retirement motorcade ahead of last Saturday's Grand Final, it is understood that Shiels is open to playing on next season.

The triple premiership midfielder has attracted some interest and might finish his AFL career at a second club, just like former premiership teammates Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis and Mitchell did.

Shiels was linked to North Melbourne in the second half of the season, before he announced his decision to retire at the start of September.

But given his strong VFL form at Box Hill this year, there is a belief Shiels can still perform at AFL level next year. – Josh Gabelich

I just can’t believe how much of a * up it’s going to look on Freo’s behalf to bring in Jackson. If they had a spud ruckman I could understand it. But Darcy is very young, really good and will be on some large coin at some stage. Jackson will be a part time ruck and part time forward his whole career at Freo and he’s shown very limited ability as a forward.

To let Logue go amongst others whilst paying up around two first round picks which includes a top 10 pick is unbelievably bad list management.

We did the same with Wood, if Clark has another bust year though then nobody is going to offer squat. It is a risk no matter which way you go, nobody was going to offer pick 10 for him or even a first round pick. We couldn't get a first round pick for a full forward who kicked 60+ goals three years in a row. He has talent but the probability of him being a superstar are probably zero, the appeal of the draft there is always the possibility someone taken in the first two rounds has a reasonable chance of being a superstar.

I don't think we have utilised our second round picks as well as we should have, taken some really weird players, taken some really good options like Curtis but the reason a lot of s**t clubs become contenders is because they get good value out of these type of picks.

tenor.gif

Am I the one that is a bit meh about this one?
I’m heavily meh on Clark. Not just you. much rather take 7 to the draft if we can swing it.

I’m heavily meh on Clark. Not just you. much rather take 7 to the draft if we can swing it.

Geelong is favourite to land Bowes? I think Hawks ****ed us in the arse releasing this report just before trade period. Hopefully Clarko is speaking to him because I have zero confidence in Rawlings.

Saints Board Update: “Trade Bytel (who?) for Norfs future 2nd PP”

laughter chain GIF

I’d trade the 3rd for Bytel in a flash, there’s a good prospect there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back