Training 2022 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of both. In the match sim he certainly looked involved around the ball and more on the outside of the contest. During a drill at the end he was hitting targets on his right like never before and scoring snags from everywhere too. Very exciting player if Voss can get him right.
Slippery is how I'd describe him. Seemed most couldn't get hold of him due to his evasiveness.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quick wrap on my observations, even though I couldn’t stay till the end.

Standouts:

Zac Fisher – looks to be back in the midfield rotation, put on a bit of size, but skills and smarts look so impressive. Recruited as a mid, and now that he is no longer built like a 15 year old, looks ready to take the next step.

Sam Walsh – just keeps getting better, makes the right decisions and does everything correctly – even little things like sticking tackles and taking players to ground. So excited for his year ahead with more midfield support

Charlie Curnow – I don’t want to jinx him, but he is back. Looks fit as, moving well, and showed a lot of the Charlie before his injuries

Others

1. Jack Silvagni - did nothing today that really stood out. Everyone loves what he brings, but still not sure of his best position

2. Paddy Dow – hardly involved in game simulation and saw him walking the boundary at one stage. Not sure if he got a knock

3. Jesse Motlop – really clean skills and can use on both sides. Took a belter of a mark. Exciting kid

4. Lochie O’Brien – will continue to frustrate supporters with his less than elite skills, and lack of physicality. Missed a couple of easy targets and just cannot break tackles

5. Adam Cerra – fairly low key today but looks super fit and when he gets the ball, uses it well

6. Zac Williams – looks like he will stay down back and not join the midfield rotation as we initially recruited him for

7. Matt Kennedy – physically looks fantastic and probably the best shape he has been in. Tank has improved and can see him cementing his spot in the 6-8 core midfield group. Also like that he can drift forward as a mid and take a mark which he nearly did today

8. Lochie Fogarty – can see him getting pushed out by the emerging young small forwards we have recruited. Won't play midfield so his only option is a small forward

9. Crippa – looks amazing. Him and Walshy will really blossom with the inclusion of Cerra and Hewett and improvement of Kennedy and others. Very vocal on ground and looks like the captain of the team. Bloody hell he looks like a physical specimen at the moment. Tall and ripped, and field kicking was quite good today

10. Big H – did Ok but really needs to work on his body work in 1v1 contests both before the ball gets to drop zone and during the contest

11. Mitch McGovern – I think he will surprise this year. Obvious that his move down back is permanent, and I think between him, Weiters and Young, will be a decent back 3. Looks fit too and presented really well in match simulation. Actually think he is a decent field kick too which is needed for key backs and where Liam Jones sometimes let himself down. And if we need to swing someone forward if things aren't working, could be that swingman

15. Sam Docherty – Voss said no return date set for him, but did laps with Newnes and was tracking well and I was surprised at how well he looked. Some upper body size that he needs to regain though

16. Jack Carroll – expected a bit more after seeing some preseason shots. Heard that Diesel is a big wrap for him too. Still looks like a bit of development needed before getting a decent crack. Missed a shot in the game from 40m out – not sure his kicking is elite

17. Brodie Kemp – not sure what positional player he will turn out to be. I thought he was a mid but clearly involved in the back half. Another player that needs to work on his disposal

19. Corey Durdin – looks a pocket rocket, but his size does worry me. Has put on a bit of bulk but is very short. I know he is playing the small forward role, and really hope can become a Tom Papley type, but let’s be honest, only few players of his stature make it

20. Lachie Plowman – Supporters were on his back after 20 mins. Had easy ball option down the line but got smothered by Cottrell. Interesting to see if he holds his spot this year

21. Jack Martin - Was very busy early in the game. Skills are great and hope he can kick 20-30 this year

22. Caleb Marchbank – ran laps only and looks a fair way off playing. Not sure if he will hold a key back spot, and would’ve thought with all this time on the sidelines there would be more upper body physical development

24. Nic Newman – just played his role and will be one of a few vying for a spot in the back 6

26. Luke Parks – mostly ran laps. Difficult to recognize initially as he’s cut his hair

27. Marc Pittonet – had some good contests with Mirkov and performed really well, but also seems a better option when ball comes to ground

28. David Cuningham – did laps most of the day but looks in great condition. Had Ed Curnow as his pacemaker for most of the morning but as it got further and further, couldn’t keep up with Ed. Could be a chance for a Rnd 1-3 return

29. George Hewett – will be the unheralded player of our midfield. Covers the ground really well and gives defence a chop out and can shortly after be found providing an option up forward. Will really help our midfield mix. Just noticed he doesn't have a very penetrating kick though. Chips it around a bit and struggled with a kick from 40m out

31. Tom Williamson – I just think he will struggle to cement a spot this year. His pace off half back is good, but with players like Saad and Williams playing that role, will struggle. May need a move to the wing instead

32. Jack Newnes – not sure if injured but was doing quite a few laps. Will be used sparingly this season, and might be his last

33. Lewis Young – has been wearing #41 during preseason so I wonder whether there has been a change. Was very impressed with him today, even though Curnow caught him out on a couple of occasions. Good size and skills, and will be a handy #2 behind Weiters. Adding McGovern to the back 6 will help him as well.

34. Sam Philp – very intriguing as I’m not sure what recruiters saw to snap him up with a top 20 pick. Serious pace and good skills, but just struggled to get into it today. Into his 3rd year, will need to take some big strides. Maybe the wing is his spot to grab as it's the one position we haven't got players locked in for

35. Ed Curnow – beast! His worth is massive before he even walks out for a game. Such a team player and standards he sets are ridiculous. Clearly someone that helps players reach required fitness levels as he was doing with Cuners today

36. Josh Honey – between him Owies, Durdin and Motlop, some great young forward talent. There’s just something exciting about this kid

39. Oscar McDonald – will be a great back up option for both forward or back. Did ok in his 1v1 duels today

42. Adam Saad – a bit low key today. Did have his thigh strapped so may have had something to do with it. Finding it difficult to provide that dash out of defence which I think he has struggled to do since coming across. Key for Voss will be to unlock that as that is clearly the reason we went for him

43. Will Setterfield – very underwhelming. Coming from a long way back now

44. Matt Owies – probably the first picked of the small forwards at this stage. Great peripheral vision and smarts

45. Alex Mirkov – I thought he’d be too big a project but actually like what I see. Massive boy learning the craft and got outplayed a bit by Pitt, but something there I think

46. Matt Cottrell – absolute workhorse. Chases, tackles, runs – just kicking really lets him down

Overall:

• Players looking in really good physical condition
  • Match simulation was very scrappy with a lot of targets missed
  • Forward pressure is going to be massive for Vossy – as is overall ground pressure. Has mentioned it a few times now
  • No sign of Weiters or DeKoning – haven’t heard anything but some absences could be covid related
  • Surprised Stock not out there doing some work even walking laps or handball drills
  • Can't see Crippa's brother getting a spot. Honestly think Jesse Glass McCasker will get it
  • Current Carlton Shop is embarrassing. My local coffee shop is bigger

Great to be back – Go Baggers!
How the hell did you see all that? Well done.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any chance of getting one thread for the actual reports and another for all the feedback ala the bluemour files?

There is mate, scroll up to see Aphrodite's post ... there is a training NO DISCUSSION thread ..

Any chance of getting one thread for the actual reports and another for all the feedback ala the bluemour files?

Interested to hear some deeper thoughts on Carroll mate when you get a chance ..

I find it hard to connect with him on attributes that make me think ‘yeah afl player’. His body is a little weak (more LOb than Walsh if you know what I mean). He isn’t quick. He seems to have a Cunners like ability to be on the ground and seemingly invisible at the same time. Yet he sometimes seems smooth and neat and those things. Which makes me think “keep watching”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard to connect with him on attributes that make me think ‘yeah afl player’. His body is a little weak (more LOb than Walsh if you know what I mean). He isn’t quick. He seems to have a Cunners like ability to be on the ground and seemingly invisible at the same time. Yet he sometimes seems smooth and neat and those things. Which makes me think “keep watching”.
In December he was a tank, in reality, see above!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back