Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but that’s where the doomsdayers arguments fall down. We very likely ain’t getting a top 4 pick (where the elite mids are) even if giving up 10,14, 20 and a F1.

in hindsight Dawson, Rankine and Rachele looks pretty good compared to JHF by himself (as elite as he will be), we have turned our trade offer into 3 elite/very likely elite players
This gets raised a lot - Dawson, Rankine and Rachele for JHF.

Frankly I think it's BS we wouldn't have been able to get Dawson and Rankine whilst getting JHF.

Crows want JHF. Trade the 3 picks to North for him.
Dawson. Requests trade to Crows.
As Geelong did to us in 2015, we say to Sydney sorry all we have on offer is a fringe player and second rounder.
Swans forced to accept or lose him to PSD.
In effect we miss out on Rachele and Soligo, but get JHF and Dawson.

Rankine requests a trade to us.
We offer GC our 2023 first. They accept.
We use points for Max Michalanney as we did in our timeline.

We now only have picks 14 and 20 instead of 10.

In: JHF
Out: Soligo, Rachele, Pick 10 2023

I prefer what we have over JHF, but I don't agree we wouldn't have been able to get Dawson and Rankine.

Last 5 years

2018 Hamill
2019 Worrell and Shoey
2020 Cook, Berry and Rowe
2021 Soligo (Taylor early third)
2022 Dowling (early third)

isn’t that an excellent strike rate?
How many of those second rounders look like being best 22.

2016. Poholke (fail)
2017. McPherson (fail)
2018. Hamill (fail)
2019. Schoenberg (trending to fail), Worrell (tick)
2020. Berry, Cook (trending fails)
2021. Soligo (tick)
2022. Dowling (too early)

In fairness Darcy Moore was drafted as supposedly an elite KPF
I do think we need to be open minded with Key position players

Naughton - drafted as a key defender
Moore - drafted as a key forward
Petty - drafted as a key defender likely to be a forward from here

Connor O’Sullivan - ??? I think we need to look at him with potential at both ends

I don’t think we are getting Curtin but he’s even more unique and could play mid , forward and back all on the same day

I get Curtin is more Utility than KPD per se but if we look at the KPD angle pretty much every club picking before us needs a KPD

West Coast (although Reid so far enough)
North
Hawks
Essendon
Bulldogs
GWS

So why would they all skip him in your opinion

Has been touted for quite some time as a top 4 pick. Just trying to understand why he may fall so far
A week ago OSullivan seemed an unlikely option

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
GWS are not needing a KPD so I imagine that's why the trade talk is all around the gws pick. The earlier picks are maybe just a bit too high for someone regarded as a flight risk/not the most urgent need.

News.com "experts" latest phantom has us picking Leake, C Edwards(who they claim is the real bolter of this draft) plus Goad.
Now that combo would make a lot of Crows supporters very happy.
Also, both their phantom & the latest Fox attempt has GWS trading with WC to hand them Curtin.

This gets raised a lot - Dawson, Rankine and Rachele for JHF.

Frankly I think it's BS we wouldn't have been able to get Dawson and Rankine whilst getting JHF.

Crows want JHF. Trade the 3 picks to North for him.
Dawson. Requests trade to Crows.
As Geelong did to us in 2015, we say to Sydney sorry all we have on offer is a fringe player and second rounder.
Swans forced to accept or lose him to PSD.
In effect we miss out on Rachele and Soligo, but get JHF and Dawson.

Rankine requests a trade to us.
We offer GC our 2023 first. They accept.
We use points for Max Michalanney as we did in our timeline.

We now only have picks 14 and 20 instead of 10.

In: JHF
Out: Soligo, Rachele, Pick 10 2023

I prefer what we have over JHF, but I don't agree we wouldn't have been able to get Dawson and Rankine.
We would have also loss another pick, no way we would have gotten Dawson with just a 2nd rounder (Soligo).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish selling the farm for Curtin. WC won't be able to match what Crows offer GWS for pick 7.

Well, you're not cryptic this time: you'll have to live or die by your prediction.
chozen-daniel.gif

How many of those second rounders look like being best 22.

2016. Poholke (fail)
2017. McPherson (fail)
2018. Hamill (fail)
2019. Schoenberg (trending to fail), Worrell (tick)
2020. Berry, Cook (trending fails)
2021. Soligo (tick)
2022. Dowling (too early)

Aren't a bunch of those third rounders?

Poholke was 44 and McPherson was 41, I know that.

I think Hamill was 30 and Dowling was 44 as well, I think - they're all picks with a low strike rate.

2019 and 2020 were good picks, though.

They are not fielding a team for 4 years, not to mention its likely we would get a good remuneration if we lost them.
good remuneration?

What fantasy world are you living in?

The best we could hope for is a pick after our 1st round pick (similar to what we got for Davis I believe). All that does is kick the can further down the road.

Would have to be on the table re possibilities of getting up next years draft where there are more potential elite mids than you can poke a stick at

Be good to also be able to grab a Wilson and Goad as well but it might be more edwards / goad
Praying and hoping Saints don’t take Wilson the pick before us lol
So we are steering clear of tasmanians , not drafting Geelong kids or private school vic metro kids or western australians

But we are also going to be able to draft elite mids with our picks in a poor mids draft even though south australia could barely win a game

😂 never change bigfooty
Yep, it’s irresponsible to draft ‘scared’

Need to back in the club culture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back