Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

2 games at VFL level. 0 goals and 3 marks combined. One of the games was against a 0-20 Coburg side. Just saying the facts. I’ll leave it at that.
Correct.

If he remains 17-18yrs old his entire career, he's really going to continue to struggle.

Don't think Harley Reid struggled this much at VFL level this year.

Oh and he was 17 too.
Sweet sample size.

Did Luke Lowden go on to average 3x goals a game as the League's dominant Ruckman?

Sweet sample size.

Did Luke Lowden go on to average 3x goals a game as the League's dominant Ruckman?

Reid played mid. Duursma played out of position on wing v Box hill. Still had 2 shots on goal. Played forward/wing v Coburg. Had 2 shots on goal and 2 goal assists. Duursma’s frame is not small. Yes, he is skinny but has broad shoulders. Have you even seen him?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reid played mid. Duursma played out of position on wing v Box hill. Still had 2 shots on goal. Played forward/wing v Coburg. Had 2 shots on goal and 2 goal assists. Duursma’s frame is not small. Yes, he is skinny but has broad shoulders. Have you even seen him?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hahaha
Clown.

I'm the one supporting Duursma as a future star. Maybe reply to the poster thinking he won't be any good...

Thanks for stopping by!

Looking more likely Norf will be choosing McKercher and Duursma.

Leaving us Watson and Curtin.

Watson is the one. We need that forward pressure with Ginni.
History tells us it's much easier to pick up a quality small later in the draft than a top KPP (Mitch Lewis being a rare exception). I'm all aboard the Curtin train if Duursma is gone by our pick.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

History tells us it's much easier to pick up a quality small later in the draft than a top KPP (Mitch Lewis being a rare exception). I'm all aboard the Curtin train if Duursma is gone by our pick.

Curtin reminds me on Jordan Dawson. Intercepting half back who can push into the midfield over time. The potential of Dawson, with the floor of a Scrimshaw. He's deserving of being a top 6 pick every day of the week.

He's not going to be a Darcy Moore defender.

In saying that, quality small forwards who can kick 40+ goals a year and apply elite defensive pressure are diamonds. They are more valuable than a key defender in modern football. These small forwards win premierships, such is their influence.

We need Wiz.
The Hobbit Smile GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not opposed to the Wiz, but I do slightly worry about using a top 5 pick on the shortest player in the league. Ultimately I'll back whoever we go for though.

Have you watched him play?
I've watched him play a few times. The open nature of U18 football and the pushing out of the extremes in stature, strength, athletic performance and skill in the AFL make his height very relevant. What he can do around other U18 footballers who aren't nearly as talented, in a game that isn't nearly congested, isn't going to match up to what he can do in the AFL. It makes him less likely to be able to impact in the midfield, it makes him more easily defended by taller and more athletic defenders, and it makes him more easily exploited defensively if we were to potentially play him as a half back.

Lack of height to the extreme of Watson is a hard ceiling to how much he can achieve in the AFL.

I've watched him play a few times. The open nature of U18 football and the pushing out of the extremes in stature, strength, athletic performance and skill in the AFL make his height very relevant. What he can do around other U18 footballers who aren't nearly as talented, in a game that isn't nearly congested, isn't going to match up to what he can do in the AFL. It makes him less likely to be able to impact in the midfield, it makes him more easily defended by taller and more athletic defenders, and it makes him more easily exploited defensively if we were to potentially play him as a half back.

Lack of height to the extreme of Watson is a hard ceiling to how much he can achieve in the AFL.
I agree that his height matters. But I think he has tools and enough skill to easily overcome such limitations. He will be a deep forward in the AFL system to maximise his attributes, in the mould of Charlie Cameron. His skills and pace are lightening, I've never seen a forward be able to dance around other defenders. He's better than Kossie Pickett in this regard. He can then jump on players heads.

I don't think he will be a midfielder or a half back flanker, but a deep goalkicker, who can apply elite pressure. Has the ability to kick 40+ goals a year.

Reckon any defender will be anxious one on one with him in the goalsquare.

There’s a reason why he’s a top 5 prospect and has been highly rated for so long now. He’d have to be the first player taken in the top 5 under 175cm, simply because he’s that good. He’s such a unique prospect which won’t come again.

80% of his touches at the national championships were score involvements. Does something special everytime he has the ball.

Star in the making.

I agree that his height matters. But I think he has tools and enough skill to easily overcome such limitations. He will be a deep forward in the AFL system to maximise his attributes, in the mould of Charlie Cameron. His skills and pace are lightening, I've never seen a forward be able to dance around other defenders. He's better than Kossie Pickett in this regard. He can then jump on players heads.

I don't think he will be a midfielder or a half back flanker, but a deep goalkicker, who can apply elite pressure. Has the ability to kick 40+ goals a year.

Reckon any defender will be anxious one on one with him in the goalsquare.
With Watson I don’t think his height will hold him back as long as he can build a body that can stand up in tackles and bring down opposition players.

So far he looks like AFL players will just brush him aside. If you are a short player generally you need to be very strong through the core.

With Watson I don’t think his height will hold him back as long as he can build a body that can stand up in tackles and bring down opposition players.

So far he looks like AFL players will just brush him aside. If you are a short player generally you need to be very strong through the core.
This isn’t a concern at all. He’s got very strong upper body strength. You can tell just by the way he moves and bounces around.

It’s not about his upper body. All about his legs and core. Going to be against players with 15+ kilos on him.
I’m not going to the extent of posting Instagram photos of someone’s legs. (That’s just weird). But have a look at his Instagram posts. Legs have a fair bit of muscle. Again, you can also tell by the way he moves. Won’t get smaller, will only get bigger.

I'm not opposed to the Wiz, but I do slightly worry about using a top 5 pick on the shortest player in the league. Ultimately I'll back whoever we go for though.

there are other small forwards, looking to trade down? nth melb has 15,17,18, adelaide 10&14, GWS 7&16.
Koen Sanchez aparently a second rounder, ranked 19, to go around pick 23. Even with Geelong's 8 & 25 should be able to get Koen

Back