Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's terrible for us.
Not saying we would necessarily accept it.
If it were 6+11 for pick 4, Adelaide would be stupid not to place a bid on McCabe at pick 10, as they also have pick 14. That would mean we would need to use pick 11 to match the bid, giving Adelaide an extra player to potentially slip through to 14. A disastrous result for us if that happened.

A future first would be a safer option for us.

In saying that I completely expect us to take best available at pick 4.

If it were 6+11 for pick 4, Adelaide would be stupid not to place a bid on McCabe at pick 10, as they also have pick 14. That would mean we would need to use pick 11 to match the bid, giving Adelaide an extra player to potentially slip through to 14. A disastrous result for us if that happened.

If we hold pick 11 and we rank Caddy, Wilson, Leake at 8-12 and McCabe at 18, we should be fine with letting McCabe go.

That means we will get a even better ranking player at pick 11 cause someone chose McCabe over one of the options.

We don't need to be emotionally tied to McCabe. He is value only if we are using pick after his ranking position to match bids.

If we hold pick 11, then we should have taken steps to get Suns pick 24 using 2 of our 40's & 60's pick as insurance for such a situation.

If we hold pick 11 and we rank Caddy, Wilson, Leake at 8-12 and McCabe at 18, we should be fine with letting McCabe go.

That means we will get a even better ranking player at pick 11 cause someone chose McCabe over one of the options.

We don't need to be emotionally tied to McCabe. He is value only if we are using pick after his ranking position to match bids.

If we hold pick 11, then we should have taken steps to get Suns pick 24 using 2 of our 40's & 60's pick as insurance for such a situation.

We can get a player ranked 15-20 for 3 packets of chips.
Why risk that by diluting our first pick to get another player ranked a little higher, but miss out of the enormous value of McCabe for basically nothing and a better talent higher up the order with our first pick?

Simple: you don't.

Only deal I'd be willing to do is 6 + 11 if the Dees assure us they are taking the Wizard.

Then when it comes to pick 6 and Curtin is available, hold the eagles ransom.

Future 1st and 2nd for pick 6.

We would still have a pick this year before McCabe and next year we could very well have pick 1.

So why not take 6,11,f1 (as would need to be the deal), then ontrade 11 for one of the 3 of freos f1s? If a late one like port or pies then add their f3 as well. We still get Curtin or worst case osullivan so one of them comes through with McCabe. Then add McCabe, dear and maybe someone else late we like. Next year we have 3 f1s so we can trade back in for a player after McCabe and still hold 2 f1s which we could use for a big fish play. To me that’s maximising our advantage by having such a valued pick.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6, 11 and a F1 with the possibility of Curtin sliding to 6 for a 170cm small forward?

If Melbourne is stupid enough to do that then I hope we snap it up. You can find fun to watch small forwards far easier than you can versatile talls who could possibly play defence, midfield and develop into a forward also. Bobby Hill just turned in a Norm Smith winning grand final performance and while he’s a fine player, you’re not paying pick 4 for him. Breust was picked in the rookie draft. Cameron was picked in the rookie draft. Stengel was picked in the rookie draft. Betts in the PSD. Ginnivan was a rookie draft pick and kicked 40+ in his first season. Small forwards aren’t hard to come by with late picks.

I doubt Melbourne is as crazy as to offer 6, 11 and F1 to us - but if they do you absolutely take it.

Last edited:
Watson or Curtin, completely different players but I don't think we can go wrong.

In Watson I see shades of Cyril, in Curtin I see shades of Hodge. We could end up with Zane. It's going to be a good draft night as long as we don't trade the friggin thing.

So why not take 6,11,f1 (as would need to be the deal), then ontrade 11 for one of the 3 of freos f1s? If a late one like port or pies then add their f3 as well. We still get Curtin or worst case osullivan so one of them comes through with McCabe. Then add McCabe, dear and maybe someone else late we like. Next year we have 3 f1s so we can trade back in for a player after McCabe and still hold 2 f1s which we could use for a big fish play. To me that’s maximising our advantage by having such a valued pick.

If Melbourne did offer 6 + 11 + F1 for pick 4 we would take it in a heartbeat. That's a significant package for a two pick upgrade. It would be too good to be true for someone like Curtin to slide to 6, whilst receiving two bonus 1st round picks.

Not too long until we find out, but my gut feel is that we will hold onto pick 4 and select best available.

Yeah it's not rocket science. With our pick we're getting Curtin or Duursma or Wizard. Either of those will be stars for us, madness to trade down to 6.
The Dees offer shouldn't interest us as their F1 would be pick 13-16 in a draft that's full of mids. The one area we're overstocked in.

If Melbourne did offer 6 + 11 + F1 for pick 4 we would take it in a heartbeat. That's a significant package for a two pick upgrade. It would be too good to be true for someone like Curtin to slide to 6, whilst receiving two bonus 1st round picks.

Not too long until we find out, but my gut feel is that we will hold onto pick 4 and select best available.
Pick 11 would be swallowed in a McCabe bid.

Pass.

Yeah it's not rocket science. With our pick we're getting Curtin or Duursma or Wizard. Either of those will be stars for us, madness to trade down to 6.
The Dees offer shouldn't interest us as their F1 would be pick 13-16 in a draft that's full of mids. The one area we're overstocked in.
Correct. They'll be top 4 this year.

Would anyone swap our future 1 for

Pick 11 (blows out with bids) and Melbourne's future 1, if the McCabe bid hasn't come, of course.

I am just trying to think how we would be getting into that Harry Demattia range - as we are reported to be interested.

We would still hold a first rounder next year which could be used as trade collateral

Would anyone swap our future 1 for

Pick 11 (blows out with bids) and Melbourne's future 1, if the McCabe bid hasn't come, of course.

I am just trying to think how we would be getting into that Harry Demattia range - as we are reported to be interested.

We would still hold a first rounder next year which could be used as trade collateral
No way.
That pick is worth much more than that.

Three more days of random pick number generation and blatantly one-sided swaps... Thank the Lord.

Then we smoothly segue into "coulda, woulda, shoulda" mode for a couple of weeks, complete with lots of praise/vitriol for MM.

Then.. finally... Waiting with bated breath for the training reports from The_Axeman.
Who exactly WILL train the house down?

16 years on BF. It never changes 👍

Back