Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel, Big Mac, 2 Phones & former Sun Izak going for a nice jog in Darwin 35* today

3 weeks till preseason officially starts. Good to see a lot of the boys getting back to business

Joel, Big Mac, 2 Phones & former Sun Izak going for a nice jog in Darwin 35* today

3 weeks till preseason officially starts. Good to see a lot of the boys getting back to business
Izak barely spends a minute in Adelaide I swear

Gonna be doing a JDG taking midseason holidays to the GC.

Cant blame him, could you imagine going from picturesque GC to Adelaide where half of the population can't read?

Doesn't sound too bad to be honest. I'd be a king in a sea of illiterate fools. Weep at my reading prowess Adelaide simpletons.

468CED3C-7A6A-4676-AB15-FC3CB66C61D2.jpeg

This guy gotta play from rd 1 surely.

Goal kickers: king, chol, jeffrey
Pressure: holman, rosas, Davies
Linking: Ainsworth, lukosius, hollands

Pretty good 9 man rotation I reckon.

Good mix of speed, toughness, skill.

Some guys spending more time in mid, others exclusively forward.

Davies height important. Especially when chol goes to ruck - davies can play a defensive role on chol’s man and prevent him from double teaming King.

View attachment 1548938

This guy gotta play from rd 1 surely.

Goal kickers: king, chol, jeffrey
Pressure: holman, rosas, Davies
Linking: Ainsworth, lukosius, hollands

Pretty good 9 man rotation I reckon.

Good mix of speed, toughness, skill.

Some guys spending more time in mid, others exclusively forward.

Davies height important. Especially when chol goes to ruck - davies can play a defensive role on chol’s man and prevent him from double teaming King.

Could be anything, he’s my player to watch next year

I think Long has potential to be quite good.
Going through 2022 games, where he was named on the team sheet and where he seemed to play changed virtually every week.
Would be impossible to gain any consistency and confidence.

We know he will play at half back week on week.

Round: position named, key stats (likely played)

Round 3: Sub - kicked 2 goals (FWD)
Round 4: Bench - kicked 1 goal, 2 behinds (FWD)
Round 5: Forward pocket - 20 disposals, 85% effective, 9 intercept possessions (BACK)
Round 6: Half forward - 14 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 7 intercept possessions (BACK)
Round 7: Half back - 16 disposals, 7 intercept possessions (BACK)
Round 8: Bench - 13 disposals, 4 intercept possessions (BACK)
Round 9: Half Back - 11 disposals, 100% effective, 1 goal, 5 score involvements - heat map shows all forward (FWD)
Round 10: Half Back - 4 disposals, 3 score involvements, 1 tackle inside 50 (FWD?)
Round 11: Wing - 14 disposals, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements (FWD/Wing)
Round 13: Bench - 10 disposals, 4 marks, 1 intercept, 1 score involvement (Wing)
Round 14: Bench - 8 disposals, 1 goal, 4 score involvements - heat map all forward (FWD)
Round 15: Bench - 12 disposals, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 1 intercept - (Wing)
Round 17: Sub
Round 18: Sub - 10 disposals, 3 score involvements, heat map all forward (FWD)
Round 19: Sub - 5 disposals, 7 tackles, 1 goal, 3 score involvements (FWD)
Round 20: Bench - 14 disposals, 9 tackles, 8 tackles inside 50, 4 score involvements, 4 inside 50's (Mid/FWD?)
Round 21: Half forward - 14 disposals, 3 marks inside 50, 1 goal (FWD)
Round 22: Half forward - 11 disposals, 5 marks, 2 intercept possessions, 1 tackle inside 50 (Wing/Mid??)
Round 23: Half forward - 27 disposals, 17 marks, 13 intercept possessions, 1 goal, 5 score involvements (BACK)

Was also scoping the St Kilda board from 2020 - they say he played his full 2020 season at half back (before getting suspended for final 4 weeks). A bit of talk that he would have finished in the top 10-15 of their BNF

Not bad for a team that won a final

Was also scoping the St Kilda board from 2020 - they say he played his full 2020 season at half back (before getting suspended for final 4 weeks). A bit of talk that he would have finished in the top 10-15 of their BNF

Not bad for a team that won a final
I think a lot of supporters on our board are seriously underestimating Longy and his potential and that's fine because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't help but think back to 12 months ago when people were trashing the Casboult signing and saying he would spend the whole season in the VFL. 12 months later I don't see a single person criticising Levi after what was literally a career best year for him. Sometimes a change of scenery can make a massive difference for a player and I would argue Ben Long is probably in the best possible position to complete that kind of makeover. He's 25 years old, played 80 AFL games and had the best games of his career in round 23 this year but we also know there was a bit going on off field at St Kilda this season and that may have restricted some of their players from putting forward their best footy on a regular basis.

Doesn't sound too bad to be honest. I'd be a king in a sea of illiterate fools. Weep at my reading prowess Adelaide simpletons.
You could run reading sessions where all the people come and sit on a pillow and drink their milk as you show them the pictures and read along.

Then you can play show me where the bad man touched you on the dolly

I think a lot of supporters on our board are seriously underestimating Longy and his potential and that's fine because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't help but think back to 12 months ago when people were trashing the Casboult signing and saying he would spend the whole season in the VFL. 12 months later I don't see a single person criticising Levi after what was literally a career best year for him. Sometimes a change of scenery can make a massive difference for a player and I would argue Ben Long is probably in the best possible position to complete that kind of makeover. He's 25 years old, played 80 AFL games and had the best games of his career in round 23 this year but we also know there was a bit going on off field at St Kilda this season and that may have restricted some of their players from putting forward their best footy on a regular basis.
Hopefully you are right but for every Levi ( and let’s be honest, he fell in our lap) there is a Atkins ( who we targeted and rated so highly we gave 4 year contract)

I don’t know much about Long so am hoping he has a positive impact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you on this. I'm way more bullish than most. If he's injury free hell play every week.

Not expecting Long to be a star but we need a few with a hard edge so badly, especially in the back half.

He’s clearly been thrown around week on week most of his career.

Coming into his prime at age 25.
Athletic, hard edge, decent skills, although decision making maybe a bit questionable?

Given the chance to play a consistent role week in week out, you’d think he’s primed for his best season in the league to date.

Best 22/23
B Andrew Collins Long
HB Weller Ballard Powell
C Sharp Anderson Ellis
HF Ainsworth Chol Lukosious
F Holman King Rosas
FOLL Witts Rowell Miller
I/C- Hollands, Flanders, Jeffery, Swallow,
Sexton

Round 1, Best 22/23
B Andrew Collins Long
HB Lemmens Ballard Ellis
C Sharp Anderson Hollands
HF Ainsworth Chol Lukosious
F Holman King Rosas
FOLL Witts Rowell Miller
I/C- Swallow, Flanders, Jeffery, Sexton, Davies

Best 23
Farrar Collins Andrew
Weller ballard long
Powell Anderson hollands
Ainsworth chol Lukosius
Rosas King swallow
Witts Rowell miller
Jeffery Flanders Davies Ellis casboult

Gone with casboult as the 23rd if there is one. Farrar edging out lemmens, Andrew over Graham and Flanders hopefully comes on and keeps holman out. Could easily see Humphrey coming into the forward line if we pick him.

View attachment 1558740

How many kg's we reckon Mac put on in the last 12 months?
Not enough? But he’ll take a few years to fill out. Next season should hopefully be the point where he locks in a KP post. He’ll be about 20/21yo and have three pre-seasons.

Despite that, I still prefer him to Graham. Put him on a more athletic tall. He’s a solid intercept and a nice kick. Also not afraid to take an aggressive ball which we often need.

View attachment 1558740

3-4kg? Look at Mabior when he was drafted.
U18QldTas15DT1291.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Tom Berry in the best 22 teams you've all picked. I was sad to see him leave the Lions, I still think he has a good career ahead of him. He just couldn't crack a decent run in the firsts. He has good speed and evasion skills and his tackling pressure is manic. He doesn't mind getting in and doing the hard work getting the dirty ball either. He's a lad of good character too and will never give less than 100%. I really hope he gets a shot with you guys. The knock on him was his disposal, wasn't a problem in the ressies, but in the firsts he seemed to rush a bit more than he needed. As a defensive sm fwd he'd be very good for you (can kick a goal too), can also rotate thru the midfield bringing that defensive pressure in there as well. The kid has a bit of mongrel in him too, something I like in a player.

I really enjoyed watching the Suns last season and hope 23 is even better for you. You have some great talent coming thru.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Tom Berry in the best 22 teams you've all picked. I was sad to see him leave the Lions, I still think he has a good career ahead of him. He just couldn't crack a decent run in the firsts. He has good speed and evasion skills and his tackling pressure is manic. He doesn't mind getting in and doing the hard work getting the dirty ball either. He's a lad of good character too and will never give less than 100%. I really hope he gets a shot with you guys. The knock on him was his disposal, wasn't a problem in the ressies, but in the firsts he seemed to rush a bit more than he needed. As a defensive sm fwd he'd be very good for you (can kick a goal too), can also rotate thru the midfield bringing that defensive pressure in there as well. The kid has a bit of mongrel in him too, something I like in a player.

I really enjoyed watching the Suns last season and hope 23 is even better for you. You have some great talent coming thru.
I guess we haven’t seen enough of him to give him a walk-up start.

He might be the long-term Holman replacement as the pressure forward, or could be the Rankine replacement straight up if coaches rate him enough.

There’s just not enough data and vision available to warrant selection over Holman & Rosas just yet.

Pretty keen to see him this preseason!

View attachment 1558740

Probably more than it looks like to be honest. One big long ass frame he is trying to pack muscle on to. Think he looks strong enough to hold his own to some degree at AFL level now.

My guess is he is 83-85kg now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back