List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

But in some games our midfield were fantastic. They were inconsistent. Up and down.

Aside from the Elimination Final we only lost one match by more than 28 points, so overall the midfield weren’t as bad as many think.

Our midfield is one-paced and needs an influx of speed. They also had games when they couldn’t get their hands on the ball for blocks of games. Exhibit A: 2Q of the Elimination Final.

But let’s see how we go this year. Paddy Dow and a fit Jack Steele will help.

Probably wouldn't have called them fantastic at any point but they were ultra competitive and disciplined. Marshall and Crouch were good enough to win plenty of the ball and a banged up Steele still gave heaps but there wasn't much depth. On the outside we were great when early on we had Wood looking like a Brownlow favourite and guys like Byrnes and Hill were playing like stars.

As we stated to test our depth our consistency fell away with Ross and Steele particularly hard to cover. We really only had Bytel and Connolly as depth mids and neither would have made a difference.

The depth that we have brought in should inject some life into the midfield and if we can get Jones fit we have some real depth. Probably still need to develop some extra midfield depth. Hunter Clark should go back to the VFL and play a bank of games as a pure on baller. Maybe move Paton on ball as well with Byrnes and Jones that's a pretty nice VFL midfield.

Yes the consistency is the thing. Glaringly obvious in the final on the day they had 5 Jack Steele's to our one.
Ours got 38 possessions and was a lone hand, his best game of the year, but GWS had multiple very good mids.
Crouch had been good all year but was sat on and taken put of the game. We rotated through the guts but the inexperienced kids and some older players were just not up to it.
Many have been saying for a decade we need to concentrate on the midfield. Has only really started in 2020 so 21, 22, and 23 will take a few years to come through.

We still need a Bont/Cripps type in the guts. Hoping chito will become that ultra dominate player for us.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

A massive part of that midfield dominance was how well fed they were by their rucks and once it got to the outside their class and pace made us look like plodders. Their inside brigade is very good especially Green but it's getting it out to guys like Whitfield and Kelly that cut you down through ball use and creativity that hurt us the most.

I think Nas can be that for us and if we get Wood and Hill fit and firing again we have some more of it. Henry is another piece that will add some run and spread too.

Dow is the real unknown to me. If he can step up he could make a huge difference. He's got an inside contested game but it's his run that makes him unique. He's like an upmarket Jones when he's on. Could be a bit like Horne-Francis at Port in impact.

That's where Daddy Pow will come in handy.

Yeah, Lyon has never been a huge fan of inside pure extractors and prefers runners who win their own ball. They need to be doing both to a high standard or he won't play them. He's got plenty of options now and should be able to cover a couple of injuries and stay competitive.

View attachment 1862581View attachment 1862582View attachment 1862584

View attachment 1862585

View attachment 1862586
With all the herd now in the shed I have had an end of year assessment of the full squad.

disregard title on last slide - I forgot to change it

View attachment 1862581View attachment 1862582View attachment 1862584

View attachment 1862585

View attachment 1862586
With all the herd now in the shed I have had an end of year assessment of the full squad.

disregard title on last slide - I forgot to change it.
you making Hammer play 2 games SB?

I was thinking about this before. So Shiel comes on board and hopefully our picks would have then been 13 and 14. So Leake and Wilson were open to us, but then we don’t get the second rounder from GWS. Sounds like we had Collard quite close behind. So I think we’ve come out of that very well. Not to mention, Shiel could be close to done.

I was thinking about this before. So Shiel comes on board and hopefully our picks would have then been 13 and 14. So Leake and Wilson were open to us, but then we don’t get the second rounder from GWS. Sounds like we had Collard quite close behind. So I think we’ve come out of that very well. Not to mention, Shiel could be close to done.

Now its all over happy to share that a good mate is very close to the Essendon board / team.

I asked him really early on (few weeks before trade period closed up) about the Shiel rumours and he said his intel was that the bombers were keen but SOS was cold on it from the start.

Pretty sure it was never going to happen.

So we still got what GWS offered in a 2024 second rounder and only had to move back one place instead of the risky three places in the initial offer.
We got Wilson and a free 2nd rounder or as others have said Henry for nothing. Interesting we had Gothard after both Wilson and CVollard but he went @ pick 7.

Now its all over happy to share that a good mate is very close to the Essendon board / team.

I asked him really early on (few weeks before trade period closed up) about the Shiel rumours and he said his intel was that the bombers were keen but SOS was cold on it from the start.

I don't have same closeness but more proxy involved and yeah that was the words I got also, Bombers happy to move on and us being GTFO from the beginning essentially. We weren't buying unless it was too good to pass up, they had to sell to us and failed spectacularly at it as per normal with them.

So Dodo media shenanigans as usual?

But their supporters said…🥴

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we still got what GWS offered in a 2024 second rounder and only had to move back one place instead of the risky three places in the initial offer.
We got Wilson and a free 2nd rounder or as others have said Henry for nothing. Interesting we had Gothard after both Wilson and CVollard but he went @ pick 7.

I reckon the Giants don't mind a smokey - one cos their list is already fire, and two, they always seem to have several first rounders.

Doesn't always work out but they have managed to build a preliminary final team twice in 6 years. Better than most.

The future 2nd for nothing has been a really underrated deal IMO. I do find the whole scenario to be quite paradoxical though. Like we obviously said to the Giants we are happy to move back a spot, which means we don't mind if you take the player, which means we probably were going to take someone else, which means the Gaints didn't really need to make the trade, because they knew we weren't going to take the player they were going to take.

Or am I thinking about it too much.

I reckon the Giants don't mind a smokey - one cos their list is already fire, and two, they always seem to have several first rounders.

Doesn't always work out but they have managed to build a preliminary final team twice in 6 years. Better than most.

The future 2nd for nothing has been a really underrated deal IMO. I do find the whole scenario to be quite paradoxical though. Like we obviously said to the Giants we are happy to move back a spot, which means we don't mind if you take the player, which means we probably were going to take someone else, which means the Gaints didn't really need to make the trade, because they knew we weren't going to take the player they were going to take.

Giants didn't need to know that we had no intention as others did and could at that time, so it was more a we're happy to facilitate on X proviso sort of agreement that gets done, since they got to ensure what they wanted, we got to ensure what we wanted and those others then missed out on potentials.

It's buying based on their paranoia basically. Given we had the pick before them, who is to say that we wouldn't sell that pick as others were asking prior to and around that period, just look at the Bombers with Caddy for example or any of Norths dealings for their plethora of.

It's buying based on their paranoia basically. Given we had the pick before them, who is to say that we wouldn't sell that pick as others were asking prior to and around that period, just look at the Bombers with Caddy for example or any of Norths dealings for their plethora of.
My understanding is that the article is insinuating exactly this. That GWS made the deal in the first place because they didn't want risk another team offering us something to take the pick so they could take the kid GWS wanted.

My understanding is that the article is insinuating exactly this. That GWS made the deal in the first place because they didn't want risk another team offering us something to take the pick so they could take the kid GWS wanted.

True I hadn't factored in the Giants being trumped. Definitely adds another element to live trading and future picks.

I reckon we could have gotten 36 and another future second out of Geelong (if they had it) by picking up the phone at 33 and saying we’re going to pinch Hastie.

But I think we must have really wanted Hastie.

Sounds like GWS hedged their risk and provided both clubs a win for their draft strategy. It's amazing how good decisions can be reached in mere minutes when there is a clock next to them and the participants have a good level of maturity.

Similar decisions during trade period need the requisite puffing up of plumage from some of the characters which takes all the time I guess.

I reckon we could have gotten 36 and another future second out of Geelong (if they had it) by picking up the phone at 33 and saying we’re going to pinch Hastie.

But I think we must have really wanted Hastie.
Geelong's the only club that hasn't traded a 2024 pick in or out - not sure they would've bitten

GWS have had so much access to talent that they can throw darts and consolidate picks. They operate in a different system to most other clubs.

Sounds like GWS hedged their risk and provided both clubs a win for their draft strategy. It's amazing how good decisions can be reached in mere minutes when there is a clock next to them and the participants have a good level of maturity.

Similar decisions during trade period need the requisite puffing up of plumage from some of the characters which takes all the time I guess.

They are easy to deal with because they always have heaps of good picks and they don't have feral fans that crack it over their trading decisions. They often have multiple FRDPs to use so don't get precious.

Think our biggest problem is the lack of a ball winning midfielder with real handball skills.

We can win it and shank it forward but we lack a gun handball distributor like Libba or Oliver who can quickly get the ball to outside mids who can then really break open the play.

And if you can't do that, it doesn't matter how many and how fast your outside players are.
Dow has extremely quick hands..in time Garcia could be a surprise packet!

They are easy to deal with because they always have heaps of good picks and they don't have feral fans that crack it over their trading decisions. They often have multiple FRDPs to use so don't get precious.
They have had so much access to talent they should have three flags by now.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back