Preview 2023 Elimination Final - Carlton vs Sydney Friday 8th Sept 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Patrick Cripps, Sam Docherty, Marc Pittonet
OUT: Paddy Dow, Corey Durdin, Zac Fisher, Ollie Hollands

After starting the last game as sub, Caleb Marchbank has been elevated into the starting 22.

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Matthew CottrellTom De KoningGeorge Hewett
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowZac FisherOllie Hollands
Jesse Motlop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Marchbank & Cunners could barely handle a dry ball & they think they are going to turn around form & perform in the wet?
Mots is huge, has provided a spark, kicked goals & can probably our best quick snap at goal - u would think that would be bloody handy when the ball is going forward ugly & on the deck. If he’s sub it’s a waste - could come on and literally not touch the ball.
Really not impressed.
Marchy(tall, but slow of decision) and Dave( good tackler, but sparkling beginning fading more each game) are the one's on thin ice.
Could see either of these two straining a hamstring in warm up.

From what I have been told this is the strongest Carlton to grace the field this year.

Back em in. Get it done boys.
My concern is that sometimes Players names get them starting places rather that what makes the team gel the best.

I don't think Marchbank is a starting player. I think the game has gone past him, whether thats a result of injury (think so) or the players we have already available. I also think having 5 players back in over two games which have had decent injuries or lay-offs is concerning. No time for fluidity in form to occur. Rust is a real thing for a large amount of players

I don't think you should fit a player in just because of how they are thought of around the club especially when other players have played their roles so well over the last 6-8 weeks and are now dropped.

In saying that I don't have any internal knowledge and will support the team to a win even if I don't agree with certain selections

And hey the world would be a boring place if we agreed on everything

The only question I have about this statement is why are we rebalancing our side (some may say putting out of balance) for the sake of Sydney? Aren't we better don't we back ourselves in?

There isn’t a version of this team that can unquestionably be backed as best 22 regardless of opponent.

So making tweaks to accomodate for matchups makes sense.

Reading a lot of these posts, if you make a statement...

I think Motlop, Dow and X should be in, maybe articulate who you're dropping at the same time. It is often easy to state the in, but you have to kick someone out.

The only real shock for me was Marchbank but maybe it was based on match ups.

Just had a quick look at the Swans board - good to know that supporters of both teams think that their match committee has made major mistakes! Some Swans fans think that the coaches are too spooked by our talls and have made bad calls. Guess in 24 hrs we'll see which group of coaches have stuffed up less ;)

But all in all - we've been saying all week that there will be some unlucky fellas to miss out. Dow and Hollands have done nothing wrong, and would be worthy inclusions, but you just can't have everybody. I agree that Motlop would give another scoring weapon, but Curnow, McKay, Martin and Owies are all good options, not to mention the others chipping in. Plus, if he turns out to be the sub, could be a very interesting impact player.

There are always risks with selection, but it's equally risk to change too much at once. All the best to the 23 that represent this great club tomorrow!

Marchbank might be in so maybe Plow comes in and plays forward?
I had a long lunch today as well however still had a level of mental dexterity at 2.30pm that afforded me enough clarity to not come up with any Plow based content...

On the upside though qudos to you for deviating from all the Dow based tedium. Congrats on that front! 👏

Yep, I would have picked Mots for Fog, and Dow sub. 1.5 changes amongst a bunch of unlucky guys.

We should still cream them.

Would have liked Mots but Fog would have been stiff...been really good. Can see why Voss would want his toughness, defensive pressure and ability to rotate into the midfield.

Without Mots we are lacking that small forward who can snap goals and buzz around though.

Teams lacks a bit of speed and spark.

Has me a bit worried that we are playing safe.

Dry or wet we need separation. All the outs provide that . We have gone grunt which could be a concern against Sydney .

I would have preferred Motlop or Durdin over Fog.

I would have pushed Doch back and Hollands in for Marchbank.

Fisher I can’t trust yet. However close call v Cincotta.

Dow I really feel for. Hopefully he gets sub but think it will go to Fisher due to versatility

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't agree here; Dow came in half way, Hollands two thirds through after injury, Fisher for the last couple, and Motlop was dropped before the Port game and came in via an injury. The thing all these have is that they're all lightly framed, Dow would be the biggest !!!!
Voss has gone mongrel...
Or is this the cartoon of where the employer employs the guy who looks just like him?
We can beat Sydney with this team but I am worried about whether any runners get back in next week
Harry not being able to ruck really unbalances our team (in his current form)
I hope he and Cunners earn their places
Thinking to the future (not just next week) I would have like to see if Mots could bring the X factor
I reckon we could miss Dow's run - he must surely be sub

Teams lacks a bit of speed and spark.

Has me a bit worried that we are playing safe.

Dry or wet we need separation. All the outs provide that . We have gone grunt which could be a concern against Sydney .

I would have preferred Motlop or Durdin over Fog.

I would have pushed Doch back and Hollands in for Marchbank.

Fisher I can’t trust yet. However close call v Cincotta.

Dow I really feel for. Hopefully he gets sub but think it will go to Fisher due to versatility

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty much my thoughts. No ⚡️ isn’t everything but sheesh we really do look dull.

But Sydney have lots of speed around those talls , we went tall but got slower .. feel like voss was reactive to their side for some reason .. Marchbank over mots Holland or Dow is head scratching
How can Marchbank be in competition with motley. Holland or Dow. He is a defender, if he doesn't play then Fisher does.

In effect Marchbank comes into the side for Fisher, Doc replaces Hollands, Cripps replaces Dow. The only real structural change is pitto replacing Durdin but we know Vossy clearly likes to play 2 rucks whenever he can.

I'm sure that they'll have another look at how the weather and ground look tomorrow.

Reading a lot of these posts, if you make a statement...

I think Motlop, Dow and X should be in, maybe articulate who you're dropping at the same time. It is often easy to state the in, but you have to kick someone out.

The only real shock for me was Marchbank but maybe it was based on match ups.
For me this is a relatively easy answer:

Marchbank out
Cunningham SUB (form hasn't been great and he'd be a big threat coming off the bench)
Docherty to the backline

Motlop and Dow to come in

But I'll back the coaching and be behind the boys come match time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back