Fantasy 2023 - EMPIRE League - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want another redraft league but wouldn't mind an auction dynasty league.
I can set one up, pay for it, cheaper rate not being deluxe league, and see if i can attract owners. Maybe 12 team league better. And if no one joins, oh well, wear the cost

It's easier to attract people when its all set up, they can see all the rules etc

Also, you can set up a league and pay for it later, so ill do that
True, plus you'll get sympathy joins

"ive paid for this league and no one wants to play" :(

"Ok GG I'll play" :)

True, plus you'll get sympathy joins

"ive paid for this league and no one wants to play" :(

"Ok GG I'll play" :)
But id like to make it higher stakes. But not sure what people would be willing to pay?

50-100 entry fee, x12, minus league fee (60 or so?), anywhere from say 400 for champion to 1000 or nearabouts

But id like to make it higher stakes. But not sure what people would be willing to pay?

50-100 entry fee, x12, minus league fee (60 or so?), anywhere from say 400 for champion to 1000 or nearabouts
Tough with dynasty to get people to commit $100+ a year. If you have a bad start up draft/auction youre donating a lot of money. $50-$60 max I reckon. We use a rule in one of the leagues I run for $50 entry per year. If you trade future firsts you have to pay entry up to that season (ie: if you trade your 2025 first in the midst of the 2024 season you have to pay $50 for 2025 on the spot, if you trade both 2025 and 2026 you have to pay $100 on the spot etc). Nothing worse than trying to find a replacement for a $50 league on a team with an average roster and no future picks.

Last edited:
Tough with dynasty to get people to commit $100+ a year. If you have a bad start up draft/auction youre donating a lot of money. $50-$60 max I reckon. We use a rule in one of the leagues I run for $50 entry per year. If you trade future firsts you have to pay entry up to that season (ie: if you trade your 2025 first in the midst of the 2024 season you have to pay $50 for 2025 on the spot, if you trade both 2025 and 2026 you have to pay $100 on the spot etc). Nothing worse than trying to find a replacement for a $50 league on a team with an average roster and no future picks.
Thats a good policy, especially if the league is made up of strangers and randoms. At least here its usually the usual suspects. But yeah 50 sounds ok. Really anything from 30-50, depending what people want, whichll determine prize pool

Too much cash at stake IMHO.
Turns people into demons and things start to get taken way too seriously, enough dramas as is without too much cash being on the table also.

If folks really want to get into high stakes fantasy footy there are lots of other ways to do that.

High stakes ($100+) really should only be for redraft leagues, paid before you draft. Teams wiped each year so youre not stuck with the previous years mistakes means people are more likely to return.

Thats why i suggested a redraft (but auction instead of draft). Every new season you reload and have a new equal chance.

It just depends what people want me to do.....a high stakes redraft or 30-50 dollar auction only dynasty.

Im happy to start one or the other, but not both, too many comps then on MFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, well done fuey . Best team all year and deserved the title. (btw, youre VERY LUCKY you didnt face the REAL best team this week ...ME...you would have lost in heartbreaking fashion....SO LUCKY)
And a scoring adjustment pushes fuey above adp score in the end

I'm a third of the way thru setting up that proposed league, called SYNDICATE League.

Will post official link and basic format etc here when I'm done as I would like to offer places in it first to those who play in Empire.

Scoring system will be same, but there will be many differences in the format.

One division of 12 teams.
EPL-like, the top team end of 18 weeks wins it.
No h2h, but all-play only.
Roster size something like 28 max with 16 starters (1-2 QB, 5-6 RWT, 1 K, 1 P, 2-3 DL, 2-3 LB, 2-3 DB), the extra means one flex allowed on offense and one on defense...so 7 offense, 2 STs, 7 IDPs.
Rosters will be entirely derived from auction like we do on here. Will be two auctions ...vets only, then a rookies only auction (instead of draft).
Players will have a salary based on their auction price, so a salary cap, similar to what we have here (100m). But opening bid for a rookie will be 500k, and vet 1m...so that eventual salaries will be similar to Empire so that there's a similar 100m cap size.
Contracts for players.
People can trade players for cap space and/or players, rather than for draft picks. Like a monetary transfer system....eg you have a high scoring player, you can trade him to the top bidder dollars-wise, create more cap....as in over the 100m.
Max roster size a smaller 26-28, so that theres more free agents available each week to fight over in auction-only waivers

Thats the nuts and bolts. Will be open to other suggestions and if the league gets up, open to tweak things as better ideas come along

Hmmmm, very different to what im used to and ive never done an auction before, not sure im interested at playing for cash and learning on the go. Will see as the season gets closer.

Just on Empire …can we get rid of allowing all players on byes to go on Taxi except punters and kickers. No need for it and it dilutes the FA pool. Favours those who have more time

Just on Empire …can we get rid of allowing all players on byes to go on Taxi except punters and kickers. No need for it and it dilutes the FA pool. Favours those who have more time
I don't see it as a big issue. You're only doing it as one week bye week fill in most cases , plus you get a dead cap hit for any player you pick up then drop the following week so it's not like it's a massive win.

What ADP said. There was and is no "gaming" issue that I saw. If you did manage to put say two or three star bye players on taxi like a QB, RB, WR, that each have a salary of 5m. Ok, you made 15m cap space for the week (taxi players count for 0% of their salary) and signed three players from waivers to fill the roster for that week. But when that week ends, you have an ineligible roster (players on taxi no longer on bye) so can't submit a lineup until you a) get eligible, and b) get under the cap....so you can't keep those temp players, have to cut them, bring your three stars back to active, and 15m salary returns to your cap.

Also, I can't distinguish punters and kickers only anyway. The option is just allow bye players or not.

I don't see it as a big issue. You're only doing it as one week bye week fill in most cases , plus you get a dead cap hit for any player you pick up then drop the following week so it's not like it's a massive win.
Work out your bye weeks and plan the squad around that if you have to or just bad luck like other seasons. …this isn’t Cutthroat. We have squads of 42 including rookies. Issue came about with covid a couple seasons back ..that’s no longer an issue in NFL

Also, I can't distinguish punters and kickers only anyway. The option is just allow bye players or not.
The either bad luck or take risk in FA ..like other seasons.

Work out your bye weeks and plan the squad around that if you have to or just bad luck like other seasons. …this isn’t Cutthroat. We have squads of 42 including rookies. Issue came about with covid a couple seasons back ..that’s no longer an issue in NFL
Not really fair. Last season your three QBs and 6 of your RWTs and half your IDPs didnt have the same bye weeks. But then the next year they all have byes on the same week. It's a dynasty. That's your long-term roster. You can't cut star players the following season when you see many have the same bye week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back