Fixture 2023 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on. You’ve surely looked beyond that and you’re playing good enough football. Give me an opinion, projected upon the draw and what you think you can achieve with your list.
Well we won't be picking in the top 10...

But that might be because we traded it out last year.

Hi guys / girls,

Checking out your draw just now. You’ve got 9 more games at the GABBA and you’ll play GWS, Hawthorn, GC, Fremantle away. Couple of harder ones in there but you also play well against us at the G and us in general (now).

Starting to think that if things begin clicking with your forwards that this may be the year you salute. You’ve been up for many years and this could be a GF year.

Is there much confidence here that you may make a GF or even win it?
If we get to September with a healthy list we are as good a chance as any of the more fancied teams IMO eg. Demons, Cats, Swans, Magpies, Dogs.

Come on. You’ve surely looked beyond that and you’re playing good enough football. Give me an opinion, projected upon the draw and what you think you can achieve with your list.
We have been starting seasons slow the last couple of years, must be the QLD sun I'm not sure. This list isn't getting any better. I think we are better chances then Collingwood or Sydney.

I will be disappointed if we don't make the granny. Not devastated but disappointed. It's only a game remember.

I will be disappointed if we don't make the granny. Not devastated but disappointed. It's only a game remember.
I reckon that’s pretty fair given your record since 2019. You need to make a GF. PF busts aren’t acceptable for a team of your talent. The issue might be running into an MCG tenant at the G, particularly Collingwood. I’d not worry about Melbourne at the G, if we keep playing s**t trucks like Tomlinson and McDonald we are fielding 20 players, not 22.

Geelong might get their act together.

What’s your backline like at the moment? Strong enough?

I reckon that’s pretty fair given your record since 2019. You need to make a GF. PF busts aren’t acceptable for a team of your talent. The issue might be running into an MCG tenant at the G, particularly Collingwood. I’d not worry about Melbourne at the G, if we keep playing s**t trucks like Tomlinson and McDonald we are fielding 20 players, not 22.

Geelong might get their act together.

What’s your backline like at the moment? Strong enough?
So far it been a real strength in my view. Benefiting from improvement over the whole field.

It’s early days yet and it will be interesting to see how the season pans out but currently there doesn’t seem to be a break away team IMO. Let’s get to the mid season break and see where things sit. Interestingly all teams seem to have flaws in their game currently. Have to admit as an outside observer I will be interested in Saints v Pies game. Did we show a blueprint to beat pies or is that ‘our’ blueprint to play. Long way to go yet, Go Lions.

If your defence stands up then no excuse I reckon. Mids and forwards are stacked.
Funnily enough defence I have the least worry about, as long as the mids show up and the forwards stay focused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s between the ears for hipwood and Daniher. I think a couple of elite defenders could rattle them. I mean if lever and May were having big games they’d need a lot to overcome them.
Will be very interesting to see how Joe/Eric go on Sam Taylor this Saturday, who is a very fine defender arguably in the May class.

This more addresses your original line of questioning than the subsequent discussion.

For several years I've had concerns over our game plan, and whether it would stand up to big game pressure. So far this season we seem to have tweaked a few things that look to me like things have improved markedly from a strategic sense, in all phases of the game.

This is no knee jerk reaction to winning 2 in a row either. This time last year we were 4-1 @ 138%, but I don't think anyone was under any illusions that we were, much of the time, looking pretty average. It was more hoping that we'd be able to get our game going later in the year than any real confidence that would actually happen.

So with my strategic concerns largely addressed, my two main concerns are (a) if/when we get "figured out", will we be able to adapt on the run? Hawthorn exposed us in Round 10 last year and after that we never really recovered defensively.

And (b) can our playing group play at the consistently high level necessary to first achieve a top 2/4 spot and then go all the way in September? On that one, I think we all still hold our breath a bit, never quite sure which of our multiple personalities is going to show up for any given quarter/match.

So I'm more confident now than I have been at any stage really in our time under Fagan, but still these two questions linger for me. For what it's worth, right now there are parallels to where we were in 2000 and early 2001. Wildly inconsistent, loads of talent, but unfulfilled, and with question marks on whether it ever will be.

I say it every year: why not have a Q Clash the Sunday night before the QLD Labor Day Public Holiday?
I'm not a fan of evening matches myself and I understand the Lions aren't either, as it gives their sponsors less pre-match TV exposure and ensures the game is not broadcast on FTA nationally. I'm not sure what the Suns ' view is but if the Lions had their way their home matches would all start at 7.30pm.

EDIT: I just realised you meant 7.30 Sunday night! Apologies. Probably not great for the broadcasters I imagine, but yeah I'd be all in for that.

I'm not a fan of evening matches myself and I understand the Lions aren't either, as it gives their sponsors less pre-match TV exposure and ensures the game is not broadcast on FTA nationally. I'm not sure what the Suns ' view is but if the Lions had their way their home matches would all start at 7.30pm.

EDIT: I just realised you meant 7.30 Sunday night! Apologies. Probably not great for the broadcasters I imagine, but yeah I'd be all in for that.

QClash is never going to be on national FTA anyway, so I don't think that is a big deal as far as fixture decisions go. As someone who is in Melbourne now I oppose the Sunday 7:30 fixture as we don't have this public holiday but that's pure self-interest.

QClash is never going to be on national FTA anyway, so I don't think that is a big deal as far as fixture decisions go. As someone who is in Melbourne now I oppose the Sunday 7:30 fixture as we don't have this public holiday but that's pure self-interest.
Well, for that matter I oppose the Queen's Birthday game as we don't get the holiday on that day either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back