Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hugh Carthy

• Rigoberto Uran

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We're starting to see the Start Lists filter through. Looks like a strong GC crowd, obviously Evenepoel and Roglic are the big favourites but you also have Haig, Almeida, Vine, Ciccone, Barguil, Geoghegan Hart, Thomas, Pinot, Carthy, Uran and Vlasov looking for strong GC results, whether that be top 3, top 5 or top 10.

Sprinters wise, the main ones would be Groves, Cavendish, Milan, Pederson, Gaviria and maybe Viviani. Groves looks like he's in great form right now too, Cav's 3rd in Scheldeprijs was strong and we know the rest are classy riders too.

Top 3 for me will go the two favourites and the in form Geoghegan Hart as my smokie for 3rd.

Apparently, Bling will ride the Giro if his training numbers are good in the next 10 days - This is a sensible decision because there more opportunities for him at the Giro, then at the TDF.

Can anyone explain Remco getting the #1 jersey over Vlasov? I was under the impression that the 1-8 always went to the team that won it the previous year

Can anyone explain Remco getting the #1 jersey over Vlasov? I was under the impression that the 1-8 always went to the team that won it the previous year
#1 is always worn by the winner of the previous year's race.

Not so sure what happens if the previous winner (Hindley) isn't racing.

Remco is the reigning World Champion, and favourite to win. In the absence of the reigning title holder, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be wearing the #1 bib.

#1 is always worn by the winner of the previous year's race.

Not so sure what happens if the previous winner (Hindley) isn't racing.

Remco is the reigning World Champion, and favourite to win. In the absence of the reigning title holder, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be wearing the #1 bib.
Previously it's been the team but fair enough

Interesting team by Jayco. Looks actually fairly well balanced between climbing and sprinting. Have Bling as a stage hunter and possible Maglia Azzura chaser with Hepburn and Stewart supporting him, then Dunbar as a top 10 hopeful with De Marchi and Zana his support. Postlberger and Scotson as the workhorses (although the latter has been in good climbing form this year too)

Jumbo team just taken a battering by Covid. From what I understand there is no longer uci protocols for positive tests, just each team decides what to do. Given there is still nearly a week to go I think it's OTT to pull them all. Roglic curse continues.

Jumbo team just taken a battering by Covid. From what I understand there is no longer uci protocols for positive tests, just each team decides what to do. Given there is still nearly a week to go I think it's OTT to pull them all. Roglic curse continues.
Foss for Dennis makes sense as a direct swap, Rohan has good history at the Giro too.
Would have been tempted to go with Kruijswijk over van Emden and put Foss, Kelderman and Gesink in Le Tour.

Still have them as the strongest support team. Not sure how UAE are going to manage the egos between Almeida, McNulty and Vine. Vine doesn't really have an ego but once they committed to him they shouldn't have picked McNulty IMO.

Foss for Dennis makes sense as a direct swap, Rohan has good history at the Giro too.
Would have been tempted to go with Kruijswijk over van Emden and put Foss, Kelderman and Gesink in Le Tour.

Still have them as the strongest support team. Not sure how UAE are going to manage the egos between Almeida, McNulty and Vine. Vine doesn't really have an ego but once they committed to him they shouldn't have picked McNulty IMO.

Dennis will be out of a job after this year. Talented but too many head issues, the Jumbo riders don't want to be around him for 3 weeks. The squad is very TT heavy now and without a TTT stage a lot of mountain support will be required by Kuss. I think they have to put guys in the break and have them drop back when needed.

Vine is just an unknown at this point, he has no racing form due to injury, still a bit unproven in 3 week races and the third week here is very hard. I don't think McNulty is here to ride for GC, he rode for Almeida at Tirreno and Ayuso and Yates are better support for Pog.

Dennis will be out of a job after this year. Talented but too many head issues, the Jumbo riders don't want to be around him for 3 weeks. The squad is very TT heavy now and without a TTT stage a lot of mountain support will be required by Kuss. I think they have to put guys in the break and have them drop back when needed.

Vine is just an unknown at this point, he has no racing form due to injury, still a bit unproven in 3 week races and the third week here is very hard. I don't think McNulty is here to ride for GC, he rode for Almeida at Tirreno and Ayuso and Yates are better support for Pog.
Eh, I'm not sure about that. And yeah, that's why I was thinking Kruijswijk here and Kelderman replacing him in the Tour.

Vine is aiming for top 10 so who knows. He can probably get there too IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is covid still having such repercussions in cycling? Doesn’t start for a few days, unless they’re literally on their death bed, get on with it.

How is covid still having such repercussions in cycling? Doesn’t start for a few days, unless they’re literally on their death bed, get on with it.
Probably because these guys are endurance based and COVID is a flu like disease that affects the lungs.

And every time cyclists have faced illness in the past 50 years…?
I mean we see gastro wipe teams out due to its nature.

Interesting team by Jayco. Looks actually fairly well balanced between climbing and sprinting. Have Bling as a stage hunter and possible Maglia Azzura chaser with Hepburn and Stewart supporting him, then Dunbar as a top 10 hopeful with De Marchi and Zana his support. Postlberger and Scotson as the workhorses (although the latter has been in good climbing form this year too)

Seven of the riders rode in either Romandie or Frankfurt and they all showed good form - I would replace Stewart with either Reinders or Grmay who are very good at sniffing out a break which will be a source of possible wins for Jayco.

Dennis is retiring at the end of the year - I am confident that the Giro will deliver the first break victory in a WT race in 2023.

Dennis is retiring at the end of the year - I am confident that the Giro will deliver the first break victory in a WT race in 2023.
Of course there'll be a breakaway victory. When was the last time that didn't happen in a Grand Tour?

There'll be a day where you get 20+ riders up the road, all of them way down in GC who'll get a 15 minute lead

Seven of the riders rode in either Romandie or Frankfurt and they all showed good form - I would replace Stewart with either Reinders or Grmay who are very good at sniffing out a break which will be a source of possible wins for Jayco.
Think Grmay is slated for Le Tour at this point.

I'd have kept Sobrero in. We aren't a chance for overall and the first ITT he'd go in as a major player for stage one as he's more suited to that finish compared to Ganna or Dennis. He could have held the Rosa for at least a few days (stage 4 would have been the worry) and that would have been a great result for the first week. I guess they're putting him in the Tour instead as support for Yates.

Van Emden Aldo out with COVID. Replaced by Oomen, which at least gives them another pure climber Orange Agent

I'd have kept Sobrero in. We aren't a chance for overall and the first ITT he'd go in as a major player for stage one as he's more suited to that finish compared to Ganna or Dennis. He could have held the Rosa for at least a few days (stage 4 would have been the worry) and that would have been a great result for the first week. I guess they're putting him in the Tour instead as support for Yates.

Van Emden Aldo out with COVID. Replaced by Oomen, which at least gives them another pure climber Orange Agent

Jayco is killing Sobrero with his program - They could not have him ride Basque Country, lead at the Ardennes, ride Romadie and the Giro - The more I study the profile the more it suits Bling.

The plan is for Harper and hamilton to support Yates at the TDF - The only problem is Hamilton has been unsighted since PN - My reference to breakaways failing to succeeding in any WT races, especially stage races is related to the greedyness of the top riders - Usually, you will win a stage, prove your dominance, and allow an easy day which becomes a breakaway day.

Jayco is killing Sobrero with his program - They could not have him ride Basque Country, lead at the Ardennes, ride Romadie and the Giro - The more I study the profile the more it suits Bling.
Romandie was a bizarre call, could have gone with someone like Craddock instead. He's currently listed on PCS as doing the Suisse and TdF.
The plan is for Harper and hamilton to support Yates at the TDF - The only problem is Hamilton has been unsighted since PN - My reference to breakaways failing to succeeding in any WT races, especially stage races is related to the greedyness of the top riders - Usually, you will win a stage, prove your dominance, and allow an easy day which becomes a breakaway day.
Harper, Hamilton, Sobrero for Yates
Mezgec, Juul-Jensen and O'Brien? For Groenewegen
If Hamo doesn't get up then add maybe Craddock (but I'd save him for La Vuelta)

Tratnik out now, replaced by Gloag. Not sure at what point Jumbo pack up and plan for the tour. 2 pronged attack is probably their best go against Pog.

I think Ganna wins stage 1. Hopefully Matthews/ Hepburn could maybe podium.

Back