2023 Vuelta a España

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Running from 26 August to 17 September 2023, La Vuelta 23 will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3153.8 kilometers.

4 flat stages
2 flat stages with high-altitude finales
6 hilly stages
7 mountain stages
1 team trial stage and 1 individual time-trial stages
2 rest days

And both Pog and Vingegaard confirmed GC riders :)

vuelta-map.jpg

Pog not riding. Jonas, Rogliç and Remco are though. UAE are going with Ayuso and Almeida. Thomas and Carapaz as the other two GT winners who are confirmed.

Think we're seeing the legitimate tiers come through now.

Absolute favourites: Evenepoel, Vingegaard, Rogliç
Challengers for top 3: Thomas, Carapaz, Mas, Almeida
Genuine top 10 contenders: De La Cruz, Caruso (fringe next group up), Dunbar, Vlasov, Carthy, Meintjes, JP Lopez, Ciccone, Vine

Curious to see if teams like Alpecin, Arkea or DSM go with some sprinters. None seem to have GC contenders. I'm hoping Groves gets a run tbh.

Genuine top 10 contenders: De La Cruz, Caruso (fringe next group up), Dunbar, Vlasov, Carthy, Meintjes, JP Lopez, Ciccone, Vine

Curious to see if teams like Alpecin, Arkea or DSM go with some sprinters. None seem to have GC contenders. I'm hoping Groves gets a run tbh.
Ayuso?

A.Yates is also at the Vuelta, although I doubt he will be at a high level.
PCS hasn't updated that yet for whatever reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jayco Alula team for the Vuelta is Dunbar,Sobrero, Berhe, Englehardt, Scotson, Zana,Maas and Hepburn - Had to make a late change after Postleberger broke his collarbone in the Bemer Classic - The team is not great for the TTT, although it's a technical course, so not to much time should be shipped - I am surprised there is no DeMarche or Hamilton - Watch for Berhe and Englehardt who are talented neo-pros.

Jayco Alula team for the Vuelta is Dunbar,Sobrero, Berhe, Englehardt, Scotson, Zana,Maas and Hepburn - Had to make a late change after Postleberger broke his collarbone in the Bemer Classic - The team is not great for the TTT, although it's a technical course, so not to much time should be shipped - I am surprised there is no DeMarche or Hamilton - Watch for Berhe and Englehardt who are talented neo-pros.
This team highlights the need for another sprinter.

Hoping Dunbar can get another top 10 here but unlikely.

This team highlights the need for another sprinter.

Hoping Dunbar can get another top 10 here but unlikely.

I fully expect Dunbar to get a top ten - He went into the Giro under-prepared through injury, this route only has one ITT, and he is suited by shorter, punchier climbs - There is very little for sprinters at this edition of the Vuelta.

Carapaz, Ciccone and Meintjes out, and Alpecin have sent Groves out (good call) as well as Dainese for DSM, Coquard probably the third sprinter in this Vuelta. Curious to see how much rope someone like Casper Pederson or Boy van Poppel get in sprint stages

The course is so brutal I don't see the TT's being a factor. Gonna see some massive time gaps in the top 10. If Jonas want to win this he should. Given their is bound to be bad days for everyone at some point the merit of teams with co-leaders makes a lot of sense.

The course is so brutal I don't see the TT's being a factor. Gonna see some massive time gaps in the top 10. If Jonas want to win this he should. Given their is bound to be bad days for everyone at some point the merit of teams with co-leaders makes a lot of sense.
The only ones that seem to have that are UAE, Jumbo and DSM (but the second is a sprinter). Plus co leaders allow tag teams on Remco.

I don't see a clear leader for Bora and I think Astana have a really good team here. Both do not have GC guys the level of Jumbo and UAE but they could keep 3 riders high on GC for as long as they can.
Bora's is Vlasov. Astana are backing De La Cruz for top 10 but if they lose that early will be looking for breaks and stage wins.

Nothing like Spain and ridiculously late starting times.
I don't think Jonas will have the form to repeat here

Nothing like Spain and ridiculously late starting times.
I don't think Jonas will have the form to repeat here
To be fair, TTT,'s are always late affairs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back