Prediction 2023 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see Riccardi and Hogan playing consistently in the same team with HH forward and a second ruck or Cadman.

Do I expect Cadman to play straight away?..absolutely not.
It's be amazing if he was a Livewire from day one but it's usually not the way for KPFs.
Tbh I see Riccardi playing when Hogan is out. Maybe a long term replacement but unless he goes to the next level I don't see it. He does seem to have a lot of potential in the VFL but gets a little nervy under the Bright lights.

Riccardi runs good lines and is a good lead out forward, if we getting it in quick he'll be very dangerous.
The year he came in for that 6 games when we were playing well, he was lethal.
Bit of Ben Brown about him, he is reliant on other people, but good at what he does.

Had a quick go at a best 22 for this year. The first time I've tried putting the list together in my head. Here's how it turned out.

B: Haynes Taylor Cumming
HB: Idun Buckley Whitfield
C: Callaghan Cogs Ash
HF: Greene HH Ward
F: Daniels Hogan Bedford
R: Preuss Green Kelly

INT: Perryman Riccardi Kennedy Stone

Had a quick go at a best 22 for this year. The first time I've tried putting the list together in my head. Here's how it turned out.

B: Haynes Taylor Cumming
HB: Idun Buckley Whitfield
C: Callaghan Cogs Ash
HF: Greene HH Ward
F: Daniels Hogan Bedford
R: Preuss Green Kelly

INT: Perryman Riccardi Kennedy Stone
Not bad

3 of those are mids (Cogs, Chook & Cal Ward). But we need names in the 50+ per season ... enter Aaron Cadman (for the future!).

Most goals: Toby Greene (265)
Players with 100-plus career goals: 6 (Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Harry Himmelberg, Callan Ward, Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio)
Players with 50-plus goal seasons: 0
Leading goalkicker in 2022: Toby Greene (37)
Average goals kicked in 2022: 10.8 (16th most)
Players with 20-plus goals in 2022: 3 (Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Harry Himmelberg)

3 of those are mids (Cogs, Chook & Cal Ward). But we need names in the 50+ per season ... enter Aaron Cadman (for the future!).

Most goals: Toby Greene (265)
Players with 100-plus career goals: 6 (Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Harry Himmelberg, Callan Ward, Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio)
Players with 50-plus goal seasons: 0
Leading goalkicker in 2022: Toby Greene (37)
Average goals kicked in 2022: 10.8 (16th most)
Players with 20-plus goals in 2022: 3 (Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Harry Himmelberg)
Yes! Only 4 times in our history have we cracked 50 goals in a year (all from Jeremy).

How is Josh Fahey travelling? I thought he was due for a game before his injury last year. If fit a sneaky chance to be in the best 22 by seasons end.
I have not seen any comments pre-season specifically on Josh, and being in Canberra I haven't seen any live pre-season sessions. However, the absence of any specific reference to him doing well, probably indicates he's behind others at this stage.

Club comments have covered Lachie Whitfield training off half back (where he was AA previously), plus Lachie Ash being used as a running defender (and earning some coach attaboys), who you think would therefore be fairly clear favourites to partner Isaac Cumming as the medium-sized defensive line where Josh would be looking to break in.

I think a few of us figured he was just hitting his straps and a likely debut last year when he was injured.

At this point, it's hard to be too certain about what/who may happen/best 22 given a new coach and new playing style. From my perspective, if Whitfield was playing wing, then I'd agree that Fahey could slot nicely in alongside Ash & Cumming, which may yet happen, but clearly not at the start of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not seen any comments pre-season specifically on Josh, and being in Canberra I haven't seen any live pre-season sessions. However, the absence of any specific reference to him doing well, probably indicates he's behind others at this stage.

Club comments have covered Lachie Whitfield training off half back (where he was AA previously), plus Lachie Ash being used as a running defender (and earning some coach attaboys), who you think would therefore be fairly clear favourites to partner Isaac Cumming as the medium-sized defensive line where Josh would be looking to break in.

I think a few of us figured he was just hitting his straps and a likely debut last year when he was injured.

At this point, it's hard to be too certain about what/who may happen/best 22 given a new coach and new playing style. From my perspective, if Whitfield was playing wing, then I'd agree that Fahey could slot nicely in alongside Ash & Cumming, which may yet happen, but clearly not at the start of the season.
My question is, if we're playing both Ash and Whitfield as running defenders, who the hell are we playing as our wingers?

My question is, if we're playing both Ash and Whitfield as running defenders, who the hell are we playing as our wingers?
Kelly and Callaghan perhaps?

Yeah my wonder as well, think there's a chance that it's a combination of a bunch of guys that get it done as a group. Kelly, Whitfield, Callaghan, Perryman, Kennedy all have flexibility to play in multiple roles including as wingers. Whitfield is primarily a half back but it seems extremly unlikely that he's going to take 100% of his time in the backline could be a 80/20 split?

Hamilton.
Really don't think he's a good enough user, he was pretty safe and steady behind the ball where he played last year never really trying anything tricky and just keeping it moving behind play, which is fine if he's playing as a small lockdown type defender because he's not asked to be dangerous user and someone that creates scoring opportunities like he would be if he was on the wing. He needs to have both the confidence and the skill to pull off difficult kicks, based on last year I don't think he's there, maybe if it's like a defensive role where he's asked to be a negating player on the other teams attacking winger but I don't think he gives enough offenisvely.

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll play one "true" winger - Callaghan - and the other will be a rotation, depending on the situation, who's been rested etc.

If you look at the back 6, we'll start off with 3 talls and 3 mediums, Whitfield, Ash & Cumming. When Idun comes on, Whitfield may push up into a wing role before having a rest. Similarly, Ash could have the occasional run through the middle, as Zac Williams used to. Our talls generally play a lot of game time, so the majority of the defensive rotations will be around 4 players into 3 positions.

The ideal ruck set-up (in my mind) would be Green & Cogs (grunt to a bit of flash), with the centreline being Perryman with Callaghan & Kelly. Both of the latter can roll through the centre at times, and Perryman has been an effective winger, although he doesn't have the speed to be a true winger. If we go with 3 talls and 3 mediums up front (from media reports, let's take a stab at Greene, Bedford & Jones), then the 3 reserves across forward & mid could be Daniels, Ward & either Stone or Kennedy. Ward can provide some relief grunt to Green, but also be employed up front as per training reports. Binga could bring his speed into the midfield mix as well, especially at centre square ball ups. Stone is a more standard HFF, but Kennedy who's training forward could also cover off on wing some of the time (as he has from the back in the past). Peatling and Lloyd are the other options.

Clearly, AK will have options A,B,C,D,E & more, so it's never going to be one approach 100% of the time. I guess we'll start to see his thinking in the pre-season game against Gold Coast, or if he opens up teh Canberra intra-club scratch match.

I'm unsure where Hamilton gets his chance really, with Fahey also in the wings. Perhaps if Callaghan is unavailable, one of them might get a run instead (or swap with Whitfield into the backline).

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll play one "true" winger - Callaghan - and the other will be a rotation, depending on the situation, who's been rested etc.

If you look at the back 6, we'll start off with 3 talls and 3 mediums, Whitfield, Ash & Cumming. When Idun comes on, Whitfield may push up into a wing role before having a rest. Similarly, Ash could have the occasional run through the middle, as Zac Williams used to. Our talls generally play a lot of game time, so the majority of the defensive rotations will be around 4 players into 3 positions.

The ideal ruck set-up (in my mind) would be Green & Cogs (grunt to a bit of flash), with the centreline being Perryman with Callaghan & Kelly. Both of the latter can roll through the centre at times, and Perryman has been an effective winger, although he doesn't have the speed to be a true winger. If we go with 3 talls and 3 mediums up front (from media reports, let's take a stab at Greene, Bedford & Jones), then the 3 reserves across forward & mid could be Daniels, Ward & either Stone or Kennedy. Ward can provide some relief grunt to Green, but also be employed up front as per training reports. Binga could bring his speed into the midfield mix as well, especially at centre square ball ups. Stone is a more standard HFF, but Kennedy who's training forward could also cover off on wing some of the time (as he has from the back in the past). Peatling and Lloyd are the other options.

Clearly, AK will have options A,B,C,D,E & more, so it's never going to be one approach 100% of the time. I guess we'll start to see his thinking in the pre-season game against Gold Coast, or if he opens up teh Canberra intra-club scratch match.

I'm unsure where Hamilton gets his chance really, with Fahey also in the wings. Perhaps if Callaghan is unavailable, one of them might get a run instead (or swap with Whitfield into the backline).
Hamilton had been 1st and 2nd in our time trials in his two years. Also trusted to play multiple games last year.
Maybe not the best user so far but you'd want to factor in growth for first 4 year players as being pretty high.
Totally understand where you're coming from but I think Callaghan will be slotted into a Kelly inside/outside role pretty quickly and Hamilton might play that defensive wing role quite effectively with his pace. Also if we are playing a more 'richmond' style....grace and footskills might not be the 'be all and end all' and a gritty roleplayer might get that role.
Maybe even Kennedy?
Small fwd -Daniels/Bedford/Greene for me with a back up of Stone.

I think Callaghan will be slotted into a Kelly inside/outside role
Here's my thoughts.

Realistically, at the centre bounce you want the 2 pure inside mids (which for us really is Green & Perryman) and an outlet option who's got a little bit of zip to get away from the contest - I'd count that as primarily Cogs, but Kelly can go through there as an option, and Callaghan I see doing that as well. But when you're constructing your side on paper, I'd put Cogs as first choice. So, you then have 2 wingers, and 2 bench options to fill.

Because I see Callaghan as exactly akin to Kelly as an inside/outside mid in the longer term is why I think he'll take one of those wing positions. He's young and learning - we don't want to batter him too much (similar to we didn't play Kelly too heavily inside in his first few years), so he'll spend a smaller % of his game playing an inside role - so I don't see him ahead of Cogs (or Kelly as next choice) for one of the 3 centre positions that take more % of the contest. Otherwise, you're counting him as one of the bench positions, and slotting in someone else for the wing role. Which maybe would have been the case if Whitfield was training as a winger. Since he's not, and since Callaghan's run and kicking game has been applauded by the coaches in media grabs, I'd surmise (OK, guess!!) that he'll get a wing role.

The 2 bench options are further back in the pecking order of skill/capability. If Jones is shaping as a forward option (as per some media reports), the Binga could be a midfield bench option to bring his speed and tackling. Cal Ward's another option - he's slowing down a bit, but perhaps in shorter spells he'll be OK in the guts, spending some time forward. O'Halloran is another option - he provides younger legs with a bit more speed and grunt, but he takes the wrong option a little more often than we'd like. And then there's a couple more.

So, when you say you'd slot him into a Kelly inside/outside role - where do you mean? If in front of Green, Perryman and Coniglio, then I don't agree that scenario is more likely. If he's like Kelly, then they're both more likely to be named "on the wing", but won't necessarily play a pure wing role, nor is it likely that they'll play exactly the same way. They'll have different "assignments" in each contest situation based on the coaches new gameplan.

I don't have anything particular against Hamilton, and happy if he gets a run (although like others I think defender is a better fit at the moment). I just don't think it will be wing at the start of the year. But I have no inside word on that, it's just my analysis. Or guess.

Here's my thoughts.

Realistically, at the centre bounce you want the 2 pure inside mids (which for us really is Green & Perryman) and an outlet option who's got a little bit of zip to get away from the contest - I'd count that as primarily Cogs, but Kelly can go through there as an option, and Callaghan I see doing that as well. But when you're constructing your side on paper, I'd put Cogs as first choice. So, you then have 2 wingers, and 2 bench options to fill.

Because I see Callaghan as exactly akin to Kelly as an inside/outside mid in the longer term is why I think he'll take one of those wing positions. He's young and learning - we don't want to batter him too much (similar to we didn't play Kelly too heavily inside in his first few years), so he'll spend a smaller % of his game playing an inside role - so I don't see him ahead of Cogs (or Kelly as next choice) for one of the 3 centre positions that take more % of the contest. Otherwise, you're counting him as one of the bench positions, and slotting in someone else for the wing role. Which maybe would have been the case if Whitfield was training as a winger. Since he's not, and since Callaghan's run and kicking game has been applauded by the coaches in media grabs, I'd surmise (OK, guess!!) that he'll get a wing role.

The 2 bench options are further back in the pecking order of skill/capability. If Jones is shaping as a forward option (as per some media reports), the Binga could be a midfield bench option to bring his speed and tackling. Cal Ward's another option - he's slowing down a bit, but perhaps in shorter spells he'll be OK in the guts, spending some time forward. O'Halloran is another option - he provides younger legs with a bit more speed and grunt, but he takes the wrong option a little more often than we'd like. And then there's a couple more.

So, when you say you'd slot him into a Kelly inside/outside role - where do you mean? If in front of Green, Perryman and Coniglio, then I don't agree that scenario is more likely. If he's like Kelly, then they're both more likely to be named "on the wing", but won't necessarily play a pure wing role, nor is it likely that they'll play exactly the same way. They'll have different "assignments" in each contest situation based on the coaches new gameplan.

I don't have anything particular against Hamilton, and happy if he gets a run (although like others I think defender is a better fit at the moment). I just don't think it will be wing at the start of the year. But I have no inside word on that, it's just my analysis. Or guess.
Yeah I think we are on the same page with the role Callaghan will play. Rotating between that centre bounce player who is the first outlet...and the wing.
Green, Perryman and Cogs can't be at every centre bounce and that's where Kelly and Callaghan can rotate through.
Does that make sense? I'm not an AFL coach.

Usually with those wing players one tends to be more defensive and I figured that would be why I mentioned Hamilton seems to have the run and mongrel to slot in nicely as opposed to Fahey who feels more like a half back to me.

XO ....I mean....wasn't great last year. Can't dispose of the ball. Great pressure player and tackler. Works really hard but seems to turn the ball over more often than not.

Yeah I think we are on the same page with the role Callaghan will play. Rotating between that centre bounce player who is the first outlet...and the wing.
Green, Perryman and Cogs can't be at every centre bounce and that's where Kelly and Callaghan can rotate through.
Does that make sense? I'm not an AFL coach.

Usually with those wing players one tends to be more defensive and I figured that would be why I mentioned Hamilton seems to have the run and mongrel to slot in nicely as opposed to Fahey who feels more like a half back to me.

XO ....I mean....wasn't great last year. Can't dispose of the ball. Great pressure player and tackler. Works really hard but seems to turn the ball over more often than not.
I'm on the Hamilton train. It's probably more gutfeel than evidenced by what's been said in the press.

I thought he looked pretty decent in his 4 games last year. He's got great run, wicked speed, good defensive pressure and decent hands. Don't think he was tested with his feet. If his task is to receive and run/overlap on the rebound, I can see staking a claim for that defensive winger role.

While not like for line, I agree with PaythePerryman - XO looked like a liability the moment he got the ball. Genuinely didn't know which way it was going to bumble out of his possession but rarely in the direction it seemed he wanted it to... that was by hand or foot. I love his pressure/energy, but his skills are not good. I'd probably rather see Cooper as the sub at this point.

So not saying best 22 (and certainly not at the top of the season), but I suspect his skillset will be more highly regarded in our new gameplan.

:)

And that's why I didn't include him on my previous list of potential names for the bench positions ... I took the discussion a little wider in terms of a "balanced team" approach. But in the email you quoted I focused in terms of considering pure midfield role players, hence why XOH is in that list ... just down the bottom for me based on some of last year's showings. (Which is a shame, because I was really bullish on his when we drafted him; he had both speed and endurance, leadership role at U18, seemed like a great kid with a fair amount of talent. Ah well.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back