List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
We haven’t won a wooden spoon or even finished bottom two in 22 years.

Not to mention we’re financially stable without much on field success - we’re exactly where the AFL wants us to be off field. West Coast will struggle for priority picks for the same reason even if they win another spoon next year.

We’d get laughed out of the building by the AFL if we even even tried.
It's not the bottom clubs that need priority picks. They naturally get those as a reward for finishing last. It's clubs like us who are perenially stuck in the middle that would actual benefit from priority picks.

We are not a shitty Melbourne club, or an expansion club.
We get nothing.
Brizzy in there 3 peat days, had the COLA and could pay their list more than the rest of the comp bar Sydney.
Its always been a compromised comp, look at the Rugby World Cup, that's a comp that has more legitimacy than the AFL.
Oh, and we suck at that game too

Anyone have the Paul Hasleby Darcy Article?

It's not the bottom clubs that need priority picks. They naturally get those as a reward for finishing last. It's clubs like us who are perenially stuck in the middle that would actual benefit from priority picks.

It's my belief that this is actually the reason North are average to poor at the moment. They spent a long time floating in the middle of the ladder.

2007 - 4th
2008 - 7th
2009- 13th
2010 - 9th [GCS pillaged this draft]
2011 - 9th [GWS pillaged this draft]
2012 - 8th
2013 - 10th
2014 - 6th (2 wins behind 4th, two wins safe in the top eight)
2015 - 8th (0.5 win behind 7th, 3 wins away from 4th)
2016 - 8th (on percentage, 3 wins behind 7th, 4 wins away from 4th)
2017 - 15th
2018 - 1 win outside top eight
2019 - 12th
2020 - 17th (3 wins)
2021 - 18th (4 wins)
2022 - 18th (2 wins)
2023 - 17th (3 wins)

First 3 Draft picks used:
2007 - #15, #32#, #37
2008 - #9, #27, #43
2009 - #5, #21, #25
2010 - #17, #27, #69 [GC had already taken a bunch of players prior to the draft too]
2011 - #18, #40, #74 [GWS had taken players prior to this draft]
2012 - #15, #37, #41
2013 - #8 ,#30, #47
2014 - #16, #25, #36
2015 - #21, #31, #33
2016 - #12, #34, #36

That is the period in which I believe had lead to North being where they are now, when coupled with the club mass cutting most of the players in this group.

During the time that the expansion clubs were raiding the draft and then the following period where academy players started compromising the draft they were starting with middle range picks - those picks were pushed back further because of players removed from the draft early or the likes of GC and GWS being given extra selections in the draft.

North needed to remain thereabouts for financial reasons during that window but they didn't reach the heights they would have wanted to and as a result their access to top talent was heavily compromised.

The brownlow medal winners have been selected in 2011, 2013, 2012, 2011. Right in that window.

It's my belief that this is actually the reason North are average to poor at the moment. They spent a long time floating in the middle of the ladder.

2007 - 4th
2008 - 7th
2009- 13th
2010 - 9th [GCS pillaged this draft]
2011 - 9th [GWS pillaged this draft]
2012 - 8th
2013 - 10th
2014 - 6th (2 wins behind 4th, two wins safe in the top eight)
2015 - 8th (0.5 win behind 7th, 3 wins away from 4th)
2016 - 8th (on percentage, 3 wins behind 7th, 4 wins away from 4th)
2017 - 15th
2018 - 1 win outside top eight
2019 - 12th
2020 - 17th (3 wins)
2021 - 18th (4 wins)
2022 - 18th (2 wins)
2023 - 17th (3 wins)

First 3 Draft picks used:
2007 - #15, #32#, #37
2008 - #9, #27, #43
2009 - #5, #21, #25
2010 - #17, #27, #69 [GC had already taken a bunch of players prior to the draft too]
2011 - #18, #40, #74 [GWS had taken players prior to this draft]
2012 - #15, #37, #41
2013 - #8 ,#30, #47
2014 - #16, #25, #36
2015 - #21, #31, #33
2016 - #12, #34, #36

That is the period in which I believe had lead to North being where they are now, when coupled with the club mass cutting most of the players in this group.

During the time that the expansion clubs were raiding the draft and then the following period where academy players started compromising the draft they were starting with middle range picks - those picks were pushed back further because of players removed from the draft early or the likes of GC and GWS being given extra selections in the draft.

North needed to remain thereabouts for financial reasons during that window but they didn't reach the heights they would have wanted to and as a result their access to top talent was heavily compromised.

The brownlow medal winners have been selected in 2011, 2013, 2012, 2011. Right in that window.
I don't think it's fair to use anything pre-2016 though since they made finals for a few consective years. And also is this just ladder position? They made prelims in 2014 and 2015 so those are top 4 finishes. They had a few middle of the table years in 2018 and 2019 but other than that its 5 bottom four finishes in the last 7 years. That's plenty of high end draft picks. And then factor in that it usually takes about 4 years for players to start reaching their potential, that's 5 years of top 5* picks that are about to enter their prime. That to me does not desereve more concessions.

And we have a similar problem in that the players we drafted 2011-2015 are completely useless. The majority of our team is from players drafted 2016 onwards, and they've had better picks to work with than us in that time period.

I don't think it's fair to use anything pre-2016 though since they made finals for a few consective years. And also is this just ladder position? They made prelims in 2014 and 2015 so those are top 4 finishes. They had a few middle of the table years in 2018 and 2019 but other than that its 5 bottom four finishes in the last 7 years. That's plenty of high end draft picks. And then factor in that it usually takes about 4 years for players to start reaching their potential, that's 5 years of top 5* picks that are about to enter their prime. That to me does not desereve more concessions.

And we have a similar problem in that the players we drafted 2011-2015 are completely useless. The majority of our team is from players drafted 2016 onwards, and they've had better picks to work with than us in that time period.

I agree, their list is going to rise soon just because the players they picked up during their middle of the table finishes (meaning mediocre picks, and then also having them pushed out by the expansion concessions) are filtering out and being replaced by the access to the top talent they've picked up since.

At least when Fremantle was at it's peak run in 2011-2015 we got to a grand final. When we fell off the cliff we fell off it hard and started topping up with the elite end of the draft talent over sitting in the 7th to 12th range like they did.

It should be a warning that if you're going to fall off the contention group, you really don't want to be in the middle group when the AFL is handing out concessions to new clubs including letting them strip players out of the draft before it even starts.

Fremantle needs to become a top six side by 2026 and ride that period out before the AFL burn down the system again.

All of Melbourne, Dogs, St Kilda, Carlton would really not want to be outside the top six in the Tasmanian entry window.

Aaron Naughton highly likely to be at Collingwood either this or next season? JVR no chance to us until 2025 and if things click there, he may not come back? And that leaves only L MAC. L Mac is actually a 10 to 15 pick forward than his actual draft position of pick 4? He was very late in signing extension last time while most of all his fellow draftees signed already. Lots of news heard he will sign 4 year extension with sydney but it was only 2. And also read in multiple articles that he slid in the draft from 1 to 4 due to go home factor. And of the 3, LMac will be the one gettable and his price will be slightly better next year if he does not sign another extension? Eagles will be in his ears but they wont give top5 pick to Sydney for him. If we give 2 teen picks that will be reasonable? May be the reason we are trying to load up next year draft including show of interest in Port's next year first? I know he is bit overrated but if we make top 8, what we give up for him will be reasonable?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aaron Naughton highly likely to be at Collingwood either this or next season? JVR no chance to us until 2025 and if things click there, he may not come back? And that leaves only L MAC. L Mac is actually a 10 to 15 pick forward than his actual draft position of pick 4? He was very late in signing extension last time while most of all his fellow draftees signed already. Lots of news heard he will sign 4 year extension with sydney but it was only 2. And also read in multiple articles that he slid in the draft from 1 to 4 due to go home factor. And of the 3, LMac will be the one gettable and his price will be slightly better next year if he does not sign another extension? Eagles will be in his ears but they wont give top5 pick to Sydney for him. If we give 2 teen picks that will be reasonable? May be the reason we are trying to load up next year draft including show of interest in Port's next year first? I know he is bit overrated but if we make top 8, what we give up for him will be reasonable?

I'm not sure I'm chasing a KPP unless Treacy doesn't come on at all next year.

I’d really like to see more out of Mcdonald next year. He’d need to be kicking 40 goals to justify the inevitable 2 first rounders that will be asked of us.
He’s also got a worrying tendency to disappear in those contested battle of attrition type games that finals all are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd much rather chase McDonald this year than next year, he will explode without Buddy next year, 40+ goals

He already kicked 32 from 20 this year
The price would be worse this year if Sydney would even let him leave (flag window and all that). Not sure we have anything to satisfy them without trading players.

The price would be worse this year if Sydney would even let him leave (flag window and all that). Not sure we have anything to satisfy them without trading players.
Will probably end up with 13 (14 or 15) and F1 this year, could see that working

Harder part would be getting him to try break his contract tho

I'd much rather chase McDonald this year than next year, he will explode without Buddy next year, 40+ goals

He already kicked 32 from 20 this year
If he’s OOC next year sydney will have no choice but to trade him to us, and take whatever picks we have. The port F1 could be useful in this scenario.

Man we were playing Ethan Hughes at times on the wing, we've shipped out Acres and Henry in consecutive years, we have the unicorn and the best young kpf in the country, and people want to burn first round picks on Logan.
GET ME SOME MIDFIELDERS

Rumours right before McDonald's last contract extension was that a club had offered him a massive deal, as in seven or more years. I assumed that was West Coast but after hearing Walls detail his own personal perception of Logan but not directly asking the question - I think it may have been us.

As with all the latest players I would like us to chase, they probably all end up at West Coast. Including Logan McDonald.

Connor McDonald is Logan's brother from what I understand, recently playing in the Colts GF loss - not as tall as his brother. If a club were to look at him with a later pick that might signal an intention to buy his brother from the Swans when out of contract.

In regards to where and how he would play? Amiss can play in any position forward of the ball, he is that good at ground level. Logan, minus the shin splints in preseason, could become the roaming mark I have been looking for.

Connor McDonald is Logan's brother from what I understand, recently playing in the Colts GF loss - not as tall as his brother. If a club were to look at him with a later pick that might signal an intention to buy his brother from the Swans when out of contract.
JVR's brother can play, too.

And Noddy's.

Let's collect the sets and put hotels on them.

Wingers not mids.
TBf we have quite a few wingers: Noddy, Stanley, Aish, Sharp and potentially Chapman? Not including players we rotate through there such as Johnson. I would like to see how they go next season before recruiting another one. Imo we should be drafting a speedy midfielder after Collard.

JVR's brother can play, too.

And Noddy's.

Let's collect the sets and put hotels on them.

I think Aiden O'Driscoll would be a handy option to inject some serious wheels into the forward line and onto the wing. I don't know enough about Sam's style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back