List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
Sounds like I’m in the minority, but we need another high quality forward (I know he’s not there yet). Corbett is rubbish, and have heard he has ongoing injury issues. Treacy may come good, but I’ve seen little to get excited anbout just yet. Amiss and McDonald could be our forward line for a decade.
Not the minority at all mate. Agree with this. Amiss needs a partner in crime. Hawkins has Cameron, Buddy had Roughead and Pav had 3 opponents. Whether it’s McDonald or Naughton Freo need to make an offer.

Not the minority at all mate. Agree with this. Amiss needs a partner in crime. Hawkins has Cameron, Buddy had Roughead and Pav had 3 opponents. Whether it’s McDonald or Naughton Freo need to make an offer.
Treacy draws a defender and creates a contest more often than not. Should become more offensively potent over time. Also great defensively.

Not sure the need is as big as its made out (notwithstanding Treacy could never get better from here I suppose).
Free agency.
Nope, was traded before being eligible.

I’ve been told by numerous people that naughton does not like us. Pretty sure he still holds a grudge for being dropped for the peel granny.

I’m sure L-Mac is very important to the Sydney set up, buddie replacement etc,
But McClean was the difference in their final. And Amarty looks to be building as well.
Chuck in Grundy & Bonehead aka Ladhams and they’ve got some options.

Could let LM go if it helps them strengthen their backline

I’m sure L-Mac is very important to the Sydney set up, buddie replacement etc,
But McClean was the difference in their final. And Amarty looks to be building as well.
Chuck in Grundy & Bonehead aka Ladhams and they’ve got some options.

Could let LM go if it helps them strengthen their backline
We would have to give up a couple of 1st rounders.

I like the idea of McDonald. OK he may force Treacy out, but JT needs to improve to get to the level of being a KPF in a Finals side. I genuinely hope he can.

Naughton would be too expensive and his kicking would drive me crazy.

Sounds like I’m in the minority, but we need another high quality forward (I know he’s not there yet). Corbett is rubbish, and have heard he has ongoing injury issues. Treacy may come good, but I’ve seen little to get excited anbout just yet. Amiss and McDonald could be our forward line for a decade.
I’m absolutely on board with trading in top quality AFL players such as Jackson last year, to improve the side. If the club believes LMD is that guy happy to trust them.
I do hope we aren’t limiting our targets to west Australians though. That would reduce significantly the scope we have to bring in new talent.

In principle, more big trading has to happen. We just don’t have enough quality players to compete otherwise.

We are not a shitty Melbourne club, or an expansion club.
We get nothing.
Brizzy in there 3 peat days, had the COLA and could pay their list more than the rest of the comp bar Sydney.
Its always been a compromised comp, look at the Rugby World Cup, that's a comp that has more legitimacy than the AFL.
Oh, and we suck at that game too
People forget the real reason why Fremantle was created.

A joint South - East Fremantle application was rejected by the other WAFL clubs and the WAFC.

West Coast were too strong and the AFL forced the WAFC to have another team or they will accepted the joint South-East application.

WAFC, the other WAFL and South Fremantle (not having enough of influence) all hated the new Victorian Dockers. What made it worse that the East Fremantle fans split between the new team and West Coast.

The northern state teams were created to grow the game and AFL efforts are to make them strong.

Money wise the AFL want the bigger Victorian clubs to be successful.

Having 18 teams brings in money and therefore, the AFL will prompt up struggling teams like Port, Saints, North and Footscray.

Fremantle is neither Northern, Victorian or struggling. We get no assistance.

The club needs to cook the books and make it look like we are struggling money wise.

A joint South - East Fremantle application was rejected by the other WAFL clubs and the WAFC.

West Coast were too strong and the AFL forced the WAFC to have another team or they will accepted the joint South-East application.

WAFC, the other WAFL and South Fremantle (not having enough of influence) all hated the new Victorian Dockers. What made it worse that the East Fremantle fans split between the new team and West Coast.

The northern state teams were created to grow the game and AFL efforts are to make them strong.

Having 18 teams brings in money and therefore, the AFL will prompt up struggling teams like Port, Saints, North and Footscray.

The club needs to cook the books and make it look like we are struggling money wise.
Broadly agree with your points. The AFL also wanted another side here so the Western Reds didn’t have a free hit when the WC were playing away. If it was up to the Footy commission ( which was and is “heavily influenced “ by WC ) it never would have happened. I think some money for the renovations at Subiaco from the AFL was what made the commission agree.
Ron Alexander at a club function once said that we were the “red headed step child “ of the commission. Pretty accurate description unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broadly agree with your points. The AFL also wanted another side here so the Western Reds didn’t have a free hit when the WC were playing away. If it was up to the Footy commission ( which was and is “heavily influenced “ by WC ) it never would have happened. I think some money for the renovations at Subiaco from the AFL was what made the commission agree.
Ron Alexander at a club function once said that we were the “red headed step child “ of the commission. Pretty accurate description unfortunately.
Forgot about the Western Reds and money for the stadium.

AFL and WAFC not caring about Fremantle, West Coast influence and media knowing the Dockers are a soft target will prevent us from becoming the big club we should have been.

I am relatively new to AFL and didnt know this history and thank you for sharing. It lead to me to google and got this page.
Proposed VFL/AFL clubs - Wikipedia

The proposed name was fremantle Sharks? :)
Just wondering which will be the 20th team when Tassie comes?

If Sydney make a play for Naughton, then I can see us dislodging L Mac.
As others have pointed out though, Treacy is doing just fine for his age as a KPF and has shown his versatility as a forward/Ruck as well. Unless we are going to unleash Jackson as a pure mid/ruck, I don’t really understand the need to bring in L Mac.

I am relatively new to AFL and didnt know this history and thank you for sharing. It lead to me to google and got this page.
Proposed VFL/AFL clubs - Wikipedia

The proposed name was fremantle Sharks? :)
Just wondering which will be the 20th team when Tassie comes?
Kind makes me sick when the West Coast team was half Fremantle players.

Make no mistake - we will be paying $850k at the very least per season to prise Logan Mc Donald out of Sydney. Probably even more.

I agree, and Naughton will cost twice that, literally is the going rate right now for him.

The difference between Naughton and McDonald could disappear in the next three years until they are the same age meanwhile Logan is a better finisher and has always been.

McDonald will score more and already takes just one contested mark per game less as his body develops

Logan is a better finisher and has always been
The Office Thats GIF

Forgot about the Western Reds and money for the stadium.

AFL and WAFC not caring about Fremantle, West Coast influence and media knowing the Dockers are a soft target will prevent us from becoming the big club we should have been.
I’m a bit more optimistic. When you look at how far we have come since the turn of the century it’s amazing. We have great facilities , money in the bank , made finals and a Gf etc. None of these things is a cause to sit back and think we’ve achieved anything really , however it is beneficial to look at for some perspective.
We had all the issues mentioned AND we were broke and about as low as a footy club could be both on and off field. All these hurdles won’t stop us winning a flag but certainly help in making it harder. Either way we will have earned it.

Last edited:
It is good that a decision on Logan McDonald (if it actually is our decision, coz he might just re-sign and that will be the end of it) is delayed til next season coz it allows us to get the answers to a few fairly important questions:
  • Is Sean Darcy gonna re-sign and be part of our long-term plans?
  • What will Luke Jackson's best position be, and how does that work structurally with the rest of the team? (these first 2 questions to an extent we should already have a clue about tbf)
  • Is Logan McDonald on the path to become an elite tall fwd or will he just be an Eric Hipwood type who peaks early and then plateaus around that mark for the rest of his career?
  • Is Treacy actually gonna make that jump to being a somewhat reliable goalscorer and contributor? There's a lot to like about him (meets every contest head-on, is a good ball user, good at ground level and pressure, has leadership qualities, and I like his footy IQ), but all that counts for little if you drop so many marks i50 and struggle to consistently get separation inside 50.

The keys to success are:
  • Recognise our disadvantages and where possible and in so far as possible convert them to strengths (Example: Our great merch sales based around celebrating our lack of success and horrific garish old jumpers)
  • Never ever ever drink our own bathwater when things are going well. There should be a special secret sub committee of the club with hired shadowy agents whose only job is to leap out and grab club figures wrists at the appropriate juncture.

It is good that a decision on Logan McDonald (if it actually is our decision, coz he might just re-sign and that will be the end of it) is delayed til next season coz it allows us to get the answers to a few fairly important questions:
  • Is Sean Darcy gonna re-sign and be part of our long-term plans?
  • What will Luke Jackson's best position be, and how does that work structurally with the rest of the team? (these first 2 questions to an extent we should already have a clue about tbf)
  • Is Logan McDonald on the path to become an elite tall fwd or will he just be an Eric Hipwood type who peaks early and then plateaus around that mark for the rest of his career?
Yuck, how bad would it be for Darcy to request a trade and we use the pick on L Mac next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back