Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But wouldn't the water boy and the boot studder feel a bit left out?
How about everyone at the club instead, including the members at our club as well.

The melts on here would go berserk if that was the case ;)

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

Aspley as in Graham Rd or Aspley as in Brendale
The address is actually 50 Graham Road Carseldine
Clubhouse link below for anyone interested in food or drink before/during/after the game.
It is a very nice sports club.

There's gotta be someone better than that Joyce guy.
Like most scribes I also haven’t seen him play but from the research I have undertaken on him he appears to fill a need that we have on our list now that Adams has been placed on the inactive list. Adams was a best 22 player who will be missed during the year but gives an opportunity for Payne to solidify his position. However if any of our best 3 key position defenders go down we need a ready made replacement. This is where Joyce comes in. From the research I can gather on him he appears to be a highly motivated individual who has excellent leadership credentials and has the speed, strength and height to negate key forwards. He has been within the AFL system for 6 years so knows what is required of him and can fill a role if required to play in the 1sts. He would not have been kept on the list by St. Kilda if they did not see something in him. The average time span for an AFL recruit is less than 3 years so he has surpassed that milestone. His background is hurling so obviously he would take a while to pick up the skills of AFL. The lions recruiting team have an excellent record in finding ready made players and would have considered every ready made key position player in Australia to replace Marcus Adams. Although Joyce was training with Collingwood the lions scouts would have been aware of his availability and shipped him up to our headquarters to better test his capabilities. Given they signed him so quickly gives everyone an insight that they must have liked what they saw in him. They would have also been watching him play for St Kilda over the years so have acquired enough intel on his capabilities to make an informed decision on signing him to our list. I am glad that we have filled our list with a positional need rather than pick the best player available. With our current list we have a very real capacity to win a flag within the next 2 years. With three excellent AFL players being Lyons, Zorko and Rich probably retiring within this timeframe. I hope Marcus Adams comes back in 2024 but in the mean time Darragh Joyce is our man. Welcome to the den.💥🥇

I think Andrews should be left to concentrate on his own form rather than worrying about trying to lead the team as well. Full back is probably the position that is under the most pressure where any mistake ends up in a score to the opposition, and having to divert your concentration away from your opponent to consider the overall team performance isn’t ideal imo. I don’t think there have been too many captains successfully playing at full back in recent times. I think Zorko and Neale are the only plausible options. Lester would have the experience and ability to do it too imo,but obviously he isn’t in the best 22 so that counts him out too.
Thank you, I appreciate your point of view and understand your reasoning.

My only counter is that I think from fullback he is able to see the whole game unfold infront of him. He is able to see things that may go unnoticed by a captain in the thick of things. Your right that there's not many fullbacks that have been successful captains but one of the best captains of the past 10yrs or so had the benefit of playing behind the ball, Luke Hodge. I do understand the pressure a fullback has and the consequence of mistakes but improvement in our team defense should alleviate some of that pressure. If we do see a marked improvement in that area this year and that carry thru to future seasons, Andrews will be a good captain to go with that.

Regarding his personal form, again an improved team defense will see his form improve too.

Thank you, I appreciate your point of view and understand your reasoning.

My only counter is that I think from fullback he is able to see the whole game unfold infront of him. He is able to see things that may go unnoticed by a captain in the thick of things. Your right that there's not many fullbacks that have been successful captains but one of the best captains of the past 10yrs or so had the benefit of playing behind the ball, Luke Hodge. I do understand the pressure a fullback has and the consequence of mistakes but improvement in our team defense should alleviate some of that pressure. If we do see a marked improvement in that area this year and that carry thru to future seasons, Andrews will be a good captain to go with that.

Regarding his personal form, again an improved team defense will see his form improve too.
From what I have seen at training so far this pre-season, Harris is another one to put with Both Rich and Zorko in that they are all moving so much more freely and look fitter than this time last year.
We know that Harris was having knee troubles since mid way through the 2021 season but it seems he is clear of that, at least for now.
I am backing Harris in to have a much better 2023 than his 2022 season along with both Rich and Zorko. Who if they can get back to previous years form will go a big way to us improving as a side.

Below link to my photos from Monday's training session
I imagine Mr Ripper will post his at some stage.
You can either click on the first image and view them one at a time.
Or to see a slideshow just click on the very small icon that looks like a TV or computer monitor.
It's located towards top right just under the larger cloud icon.

There are 2 sets of 2 player name images on a whiteboard. They are opposing each other in that match sims.
However, i would not take too much from that at this stage as there was always 1 group sitting out the match sim.

Was listening to a podcast this morning and they predicted that we could be a team that will slide this year and maybe even out of the 8.
They were trying to look for ways to get Carlton into the 8.
Sydney were the other team along with Freo who may slide a bit.
Interesting that none of the teams mentioned were Victorian.

Or to see a slideshow just click on the very small icon that looks like a TV or computer monitor.

There are 2 sets of 2 player name images on a whiteboard. They are opposing each other in that match sims.
However, i would not take too much from that at this stage as there was always 1 group sitting out the match sim.

Bit of a concern when your own club can’t even spell your name correctly.
Wilmont?????

Like most scribes I also haven’t seen him play but from the research I have undertaken on him he appears to fill a need that we have on our list now that Adams has been placed on the inactive list. Adams was a best 22 player who will be missed during the year but gives an opportunity for Payne to solidify his position. However if any of our best 3 key position defenders go down we need a ready made replacement. This is where Joyce comes in. From the research I can gather on him he appears to be a highly motivated individual who has excellent leadership credentials and has the speed, strength and height to negate key forwards. He has been within the AFL system for 6 years so knows what is required of him and can fill a role if required to play in the 1sts. He would not have been kept on the list by St. Kilda if they did not see something in him. The average time span for an AFL recruit is less than 3 years so he has surpassed that milestone. His background is hurling so obviously he would take a while to pick up the skills of AFL. The lions recruiting team have an excellent record in finding ready made players and would have considered every ready made key position player in Australia to replace Marcus Adams. Although Joyce was training with Collingwood the lions scouts would have been aware of his availability and shipped him up to our headquarters to better test his capabilities. Given they signed him so quickly gives everyone an insight that they must have liked what they saw in him. They would have also been watching him play for St Kilda over the years so have acquired enough intel on his capabilities to make an informed decision on signing him to our list. I am glad that we have filled our list with a positional need rather than pick the best player available. With our current list we have a very real capacity to win a flag within the next 2 years. With three excellent AFL players being Lyons, Zorko and Rich probably retiring within this timeframe. I hope Marcus Adams comes back in 2024 but in the mean time Darragh Joyce is our man. Welcome to the den.💥🥇
Very nice write up of the difference between the approach of professional recruiters and amateurs.

one other thing that may be considered is the fact that, according to people who watch them play, we have two kids in the academy that might be AFL standard key position backs.

all the more reason to go for best immediate replacement, rather than “best available” with potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the photos, Dev looks like he has put on a bit of size, I hope he has a big year this year and gets a good run at it.

The address is actually 50 Graham Road Carseldine
Clubhouse link below for anyone interested in food or drink before/during/after the game.
It is a very nice sports club.

I think the point nWo (and I think they might know a bit more about the club than most around these parts) was trying to clarify is that Aspley teams play out of both Graham Road and Brendale. You'd have to assume Graham Road though, otherwise Mr Ripper probably would have said South Pine/Brendale and than added further denigrating slurs regarding the parentage of those who dwell north of the river.

I think the point nWo (and I think they might know a bit more about the club than most around these parts) was trying to clarify is that Aspley teams play out of both Graham Road and Brendale. You'd have to assume Graham Road though, otherwise Mr Ripper probably would have said South Pine/Brendale and than added further denigrating slurs regarding the parentage of those who dwell north of the river.
I was told "Aspley", so just assumed Graham Road.

Must admit, I'd have thought so to. I mean delisted by Saints after only 12 games in 6 years fills me with no confidence on his ability whatsover. I get wanting a mature player over say the best key defender not to get drafted, whoever that is, but i agree, yoo'd reckon there would have been someone else oiut there. + there's never been many Irish guys that you trust as players. Hanly after many years and same as Toohy but many others - oh well,he is only the 45th player on the list, so youd hope there isnt even a need to play him.
Hanley still turned it over a bit more than he should even at the Suns.
Just saying.
But he was still exiting when he was able to use his running .
No idea at all about Joyce though , maybe he's mainly a back up and we rejig some smaller players through and Starce stepps in to cover the big guys.

Was listening to a podcast this morning and they predicted that we could be a team that will slide this year and maybe even out of the 8.
Every year 3 or 4 new teams make it into the top 8 which shows you how competitive the competition is. I use to try and pick who was going to climb the ladder but always got it wrong and was always surprised by atleast one team that exceeded my expectations. Last year that team was Collingwood as after being in the bottom 2 they were only one kick from making it to the grand final. However they won around a dozen games by a kick or two which is not the way you want to win games during the home and away season. So this season the only teams that I am tipping to improve is Carlton and Richmond. The hardest thing to do is to keep yourself in the top 4 or 5 which the lions have done over the last three years . Many teams have come and gone in the top 4 and if the Lions can make it again they then have the opportunity to be well placed for a grand final birth. For me the three best teams will be Geelong, Melbourne and Brisbane. All three teams have either improved their lists or improved their depth. They will be hard to beat during the year. It will be interesting to see how some of the senior Geelong players respond to the grand final win and whether they can replicate their form in 2023. So at the moment I am predicting a Melbourne vs Lions 🦁 grand final. In 2023 our midfield was held up by Neale and we badly missed the skill set of Lyon as our mid feast no where as good as it was in the pre two years. I believe Dunkley is exactly what we need to bolster our depth and am hoping that Lyon can find his fitness once again.

Hanley still turned it over a bit more than he should even at the Suns.
Just saying.
But he was still exiting when he was able to use his running .
No idea at all about Joyce though , maybe he's mainly a back up and we rejig some smaller players through and Starce stepps in to cover the big guys.

He'll be battling it out with Payne for a spot in the team

No surprise there. What was their reasons for our potential drop out of the 8? Or was it, like most things today, just a vibe or a feeling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back