Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First, I am really happy for the win. Great to hear the song, and see players, club, supporters with smiles on their faces.

Second, regarding result. Some have suggested we still have issues. Maybe we won because we were better and GC worse than they have been playing. I do think there are still areas to work on. But having some players returning to form, plus a few different players finally available does make a difference.

Practically, I don't think we're going to make finals (I think we'll be around 1.5 games out of 8). But I'm not giving up hope. If I was living in Vic I'd be aiming to see all the rest of the games.

Coaches votes ...

Clean sweep :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Fy9qYDpaAAEqKrN

What no one is talking about: Adam Cerra is having an incredible season

Player 1: 27 disposals per game, 5 goals, 10 contested possessions, 6 score involvements, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 4 tackles per game, 5 inside 50s

Player 2: 28 disposals per game, 5 goals, 9 contested possessions, 7 score involvements, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 5 tackles per game, 5 inside 50s

Those two players on every statistical metric are having very similar seasons. Player one is Adam Cerra and player two is Zach Merrett.

One is being labelled a potential All-Australian captain and the other has quietly had a very solid year.

What no one is talking about: Adam Cerra is having an incredible season

Player 1: 27 disposals per game, 5 goals, 10 contested possessions, 6 score involvements, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 4 tackles per game, 5 inside 50s

Player 2: 28 disposals per game, 5 goals, 9 contested possessions, 7 score involvements, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 5 tackles per game, 5 inside 50s

Those two players on every statistical metric are having very similar seasons. Player one is Adam Cerra and player two is Zach Merrett.

One is being labelled a potential All-Australian captain and the other has quietly had a very solid year.
You could do a similar exercise with Cez and the 2nd Brownlow Favourite.

First, I am really happy for the win. Great to hear the song, and see players, club, supporters with smiles on their faces.

Second, regarding result. Some have suggested we still have issues. Maybe we won because we were better and GC worse than they have been playing. I do think there are still areas to work on. But having some players returning to form, plus a few different players finally available does make a difference.

Practically, I don't think we're going to make finals (I think we'll be around 1.5 games out of 8). But I'm not giving up hope. If I was living in Vic I'd be aiming to see all the rest of the games.
We need to get a string of wins going....

Both the Hawks (especially minus Sicily) and Freo games are very winnable.

Win those two and we'll be on the cusp of the 8 again.

After that, the run home:

Port (Marvel)
West Coast (Marvel)
Pies (G)
Saints (Marvel)
Dees (G)
Gold Coast (away)
GWS (Marvel)

So, we need to win a few of the Saints, Port, Pies, Dees - go 2-2 on those 4 and win the rest?

No easy games in the big league!

I reckon theres a few would rather we lose cos it vindicates their stance. Supporter is not the right word for that though.
I can only talk about myself, but after sticking with this team through thick and this for over 45 years, this season has actually been the hardest to take …. and that is saying a lot considering the last 20 years!

The reason is simple, after all the crap, after patiently waiting rebuilding slowly and then that heart stopping, soul destroying (but at least we were in it) season last year … to come out this year the way we have, to have the competition openly mocking us and becoming the biggest joke of the AFL since MM saying preseason he expects Ed us to win the premiership …. well frankly I can understand why a great deal of supporters are fed up and will need this team to show some more back bone to get us emotionally invested again.

Most are not fair weather, we just feel supremely let down by all the facets of the club that cannot understand that the emblem has taken enough embarrassment th3 last 20 odd years and it’s time, it’s ****ing time!

Dow's cameo wasn't that impressive tbh, stat sheet won't record that his kicks were nearly all floaters.
While Dow's control isn't great, his kicks have penetration that Walsh and Crippa don't have. For what it is worth he had the 2nd highest disposal efficiency in the side. 4 score involvements and 200m gained is a good return in the limited time on the ground.

Yes. He was saying to the club “show me the money”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thought it was interesting that they brought in Tom's mum for the post-game interview. You'd think both would feel pretty awkward in the spotlight knowing he's out the door. Maybe he's closer to staying than has been reported. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe it's Maybelline.

Was thinking that we could very well turn things around this week. Of course, pleasantly surprised by our second quarter onslaught. Then won the third and last quarters as well, terrific win and much needed.
We now have the runners available to execute this game style and they will only get better with every game.
Cunners was a bit rusty, still showed his class. The goals will come in the coming weeks.
Jack Martin was very good, be great to see him have an extended run for the rest of the season injury free.
Kemp maybe played his best game, such a versatile player. Still like to see him up forward at times and he could be damaging at times at CBA's.
Brilliant to see Cripps kicking goals again and he has got his strut back. Reckon he will finish the season off strongly.
TDK played well and I reckon he would have enjoyed the win. Time will tell what his intensions will be, but I kind of hope we get to keep him.

Was thinking that we could very well turn things around this week. Of course, pleasantly surprised by our second quarter onslaught. Then won the third and last quarters as well, terrific win and much needed.
We now have the runners available to execute this game style and they will only get better with every game.
Cunners was a bit rusty, still showed his class. The goals will come in the coming weeks.
Jack Martin was very good, be great to see him have an extended run for the rest of the season injury free.
Kemp maybe played his best game, such a versatile player. Still like to see him up forward at times and he could be damaging at times at CBA's.
Brilliant to see Cripps kicking goals again and he has got his strut back. Reckon he will finish the season off strongly.
TDK played well and I reckon he would have enjoyed the win. Time will tell what his intensions will be, but I kind of hope we get to keep him.

Yep, thought TDK (with support from Pitto who was clearly wounded imo) nullified Witts completely.

That's a big win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Rudyard Kipling wrote “If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.”

For us here if allowed to write about both in our own way.

;):thumbsu:

Kipling also wrote "Don't play around the flanks - go straight up the guts"

...and we've been ignoring that as well

View attachment 1716401

Lets not underestimate what zero pressure from the opposition allows. Remember WCE, same thing we looked a million bucks. But they never pressured us, just like GC.

It seems that after a loss we get to hear about the coaches being crap, the players being crap, and anything and everything to do with the club being crap.

We have a good win and it appears that it has more to do with the opposition being crap. Let's just celebrate the wins when they come, obviously, they don't make all the problems disappear but damn, if you can't allow yourself to celebrate a win, what's the point?

To be honest we have botched yet another season, a season where we should be playing finals. Now a decade since we last played. I dont feel like celebrating at all, to me it's too little too late. I want success.

Watched the replay dow in the last 1/4 reminded me of his VFL coach - wasn't the headline of the fab5 but did what was needed .. it was only one 1/4 and game was done but he was very impressive .. I have liked his intensity the last couple weeks in VFL I saw week before he come in as sub he ran into someone with his head Down and bounced off kept running something he wouldn't of done before ..

He is obviously very close with kemp Walsh and Kennedy and well liked by his peers - no one can question his constitution for not giving up --so we never know what happens over the next 9 games ..

From watching the replay a couple of things stood out.

Kemp is a lot quicker than previously thought or shown in any game he has played to date. Was awesome

Cuningham, while showed some good signs, butchered the ball kicking inside 50. 0 last quarter possessions and used the all at 45% shows he has plenty of room for improvement. Good to just see him back in the side

For all the commentators saying the 1 goal first quarter was same old Blues, I thought that after the first 5-10 minutes where we couldn't get it out of our defence, we moved the ball well but didn't connect up forward. Had 3 or 4 really good looks.

H and CC are struggling at the moment. Back to competing for the same balls and double grabbing (or in the case of H's first goal quadruple grabbing).

TDK showed why it would be a mistake to let him leave. Would have made a big difference last week if he held his marks

1. I am alive thats a positive for me (though not necessarily everone would agree....;))
2. Carlton Football Club is a positive in life, for me at least. Win lose or draw it's there and fantastic. But its only a part of life also. Theres always music to fall back on when we are out of form or books or hobbies etc. Family and friends too.
3. Every game can be the beginning of something great. Optimism is a better feeling than pessimism.
peace to you brother!

It’s disappointing in terms of probably missing finals (not out of it yet) but if we can demonstrate playing effectively as a team with a good game plan that makes us competitive against the best then at least we go into next year with more confidence. Draft/trade well and a good preseason then away we go next year.
and the year after !!

Back