List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
44. CamZ

The Bull is the team’s energiser bunny. When he gets on a roll the team lifts around him. Has started the last two seasons slowly and came home well which might be a pointer to his pre-season training. He is really a third forward or medium forward but lack of tall targets has meant he has played as the second tall. The addition of Sheez and Curtis will help as they provide aerial targets. Some midfield minutes will be handy too.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if we've decided to trail a few of the kids this year in the 2s with the view of picking someone up ala box Hill style. Lots of good former AFL players this year.

Can’t help you with your luck 1 fantasy but this is my early prediction for list turn over;

Kept
  1. Bonar - if the body gives him a full year
  2. Comben - lock
  3. Perez - lock
  4. Free - if he plays well 1 year ext
  5. Greenwood - if he plays well 1 year ext
  6. Archer - lock
  7. Edwards
  8. Goater - lock
  9. Young - lock
  10. Bergman - lock
  11. Goldy - the body willing and not overtaken
Gone
  • Hall - retire
  • Howe - retire
  • Ziebell - retire
  • Turner
  • Spicer
  • Mahony
Howe won’t be retiring, he only just turned 27. We may delist him if he doesn’t play many games or gets a significant injury, but he isn’t retiring.

Not sure of Greenwood’s contract status… It’s been said he has already triggered a third year (2024)?
If not, you would think he needs to have a very good season or at least find another position, as we have a lot of young quality midfielders needing to get significant midfield minutes - Phillips, Powell, Wardlaw.

Young is an interesting one, he was great last year & had won over even the biggest crictics by season’s end, but I’m not sure he is a 100% lock if he doesn’t back it up this year, with competition for spots across half back pretty hot.

Edwards would need to show some improvement this season. He is a long way off it currently, but as we all know ‘big men take time’ & I’m happy to keep him on given our lack of big men.

A lot of players playing for their careers this year!
We can’t cut 9-10 blokes unless we are bringing in a host of players from other teams via trade & FA.
Players like Spicer & Mahoney may even find themselves with new contracts if they have really good seasons, although unlikely.

From AFL.com

Average age of list at round one, 2023
Geelong, Western Bulldogs25.3
Brisbane25.1
Collingwood, Richmond25
Gold Coast, Melbourne24.7
Carlton24.6
West Coast24.4
Port Adelaide, St Kilda24.3
Greater Western Sydney24.1
Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney24
Essendon23.8
Adelaide23.7
Hawthorn22.9

Average number of games played on list
Geelong92.4
Melbourne84.9
Richmond83
Brisbane78.1
Western Bulldogs75.8
Collingwood75.1
West Coast74.3
Sydney69.5
Port Adelaide67.9
Carlton65
North Melbourne64.4
St Kilda64.1
Gold Coast63.5
Greater Western Sydney58.5
Essendon56.2
Fremantle55.3
Adelaide51.7
Hawthorn42.6

Howe won’t be retiring, he only just turned 27. We may delist him if he doesn’t play many games or gets a significant injury, but he isn’t retiring.

Not sure of Greenwood’s contract status… It’s been said he has already triggered a third year (2024)?
If not, you would think he needs to have a very good season or at least find another position, as we have a lot of young quality midfielders needing to get significant midfield minutes - Phillips, Powell, Wardlaw.

Young is an interesting one, he was great last year & had won over even the biggest crictics by season’s end, but I’m not sure he is a 100% lock if he doesn’t back it up this year, with competition for spots across half back pretty hot.

Edwards would need to show some improvement this season. He is a long way off it currently, but as we all know ‘big men take time’ & I’m happy to keep him on given our lack of big men.

A lot of players playing for their careers this year!
We can’t cut 9-10 blokes unless we are bringing in a host of players from other teams via trade & FA.
Players like Spicer & Mahoney may even find themselves with new contracts if they have really good seasons, although unlikely.

Yeah - agree, all of my ‘locks’ are only locks if the continue on the same tragectory. I think they would all need to perform well to be a lock.

I think it’s also important we get some stability so anything could happen.

Didn’t realise Howe was so young, well it’s up to him to make himself too valuable to let go!

45. The Free kick

Last one!

I was a bit surprised when we recruited another pure ruckman as Goldy, X and CCJ seemed to be enough. If nothing else his recruitment will protect Edwards and Chom from doing much rucking in the VFL. He’s a big unit but mobility may be an issue. Still now he has a chance in an élite environment so the improvement might be significant and quick and it might need to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a great list of free agents and we have a lot to play with where the current list to see what players make it.

The one that probably interests me the most and who i think might be gettable is Gresham.
Gresh would be good. Hopefully has a good relationship with ratten

As mentioned the free agent list is grim
1: himmelberg
2: gresh
3: Dylan moore
4: doedee

I think we should have a go at trading for Finn Callaghan or Hayden Young (I know I'm a broken record). Offer one of our first's +/- change should get it done if they are happy to come across.

Clarko needs his left footed distributor and there aren't any obvious candidates in next year's draft as yet. Even if there were we would need to wait for them to get up to speed physically whereas these blokes not so much.

Hopefully Callaghan's foot is okay, we were into him big at the draft I seem to recall if not for Judas.

Nah you'd only go Doedee if McKay leaves. Having Corr, Logue and Doedee on the list as high-profile tall defender recruits is just too much.

Not sure you can say that he would be surplus to our needs... take our current situation as an example.

But moot pt though as can't see doodee leaving, isn't he the captain or at least leadership seems too entrenched.... but he is a vic

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back