Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Carl v Rich still has Q2-7 with most seats available as well as 3 bays in the Ponsford with 4-5 rows available. I'm surprised there's still decent seats available for this.

Coll v Syd now has nothing listed as available and the Ponsford and Northern Stands look like they are completely sold. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they've put Q1-7 in the Warne Stand on sale yet as these seemed to be the last bays made available for Carl/Rich. Otherwise then this match is as good as sold out.

Carl v Rich still has Q2-7 with most seats available as well as 3 bays in the Ponsford with 4-5 rows available. I'm surprised there's still decent seats available for this.

Coll v Syd now has nothing listed as available and the Ponsford and Northern Stands look like they are completely sold. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they've put Q1-7 in the Warne Stand on sale yet as these seemed to be the last bays made available for Carl/Rich. Otherwise then this match is as good as sold out.

Thankfully it’s a blues home game so attendance should still be over 80K.

90s is wishful thinking, it’s only been 90s for flag unfurling, cousins return etc.

Should be a huge turn out regardless.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the dust settled on opening round there was some positives but a couple of question marks.

In future I wonder if they just make it a proper “round 1” and add another round to the fixture (obviously logistical issues around home games, but we are heading to a longer season in future anyway).The long weekend hands its self to multiple blockbuster spots that are new and a great way to start off the season each year.

Thursday night
Friday night
Saturday night
Sunday night
Monday afternoon

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

you can't say GWS haven't been successful.

Great crowds, no doubt. Nothing better than full stadiums and a great atmosphere to get people to come back.

But, I don't know if that is good enough to have an opening round again. You used Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton and the first match of the season to achieve that. They have played a lot of cards which might be better used later in the season. You might have also lost a lot of interest in the "opening" match of the season, Carlton v Richmond.

That is the beauty of the first round of the season. Most fans and clubs have hope. 4 clubs hope have taken a dent this week, of which one took a large hit
The four matches were taken away from when the teams had byes over the coming 6 weeks. Those matches would not have had clear air and less promotion, resulting in less travelling fans and less local interest. An almost identical fixture in this theoretical scenario was played out in 2019 - and only 29,000 people went to the Thursday night R4 Sydney vs Melbourne SCG fixture.

And I very much doubt there'll be any lost interest in the Richmond vs Carlton games simply because we already have direct comparison points - that it hasn't always been the opening game of the season! In 2013 two games were played outside Melbourne a week before, 80,000 still rocked up - more than the previous year!

Last edited:
I still think that after the thrilling win at the Gabba plus being a Carlton home match and if the weather is kind the crowd will nudge 90,000.

I was right (to an extent). There are now seats available on the top deck of the Warne Stand for Coll/Syd that weren't there before.

Again, many of these are better seats than the ones in the Northern and Ponsford stands previously shown as the only ones available. The release pattern doesn't make much sense but at least it seems to be consistent so it will help for future games.

The ones still available for Carl/Rich seem to be the last batches to be released as you can also select Restricted View and Standing Room tickets for that game.

No reason to think Carl/Rich won't be at least mid 80s but I'll need to see those Coll/Syd tickets start to move before I think it will get much over 80k.

Recapping Opening Round:

GWS/Coll and GC/Rich were the highest ever crowds for those teams at those venues.
Syd/Melb was the 2nd biggest, Bris/Carl was the 6th biggest.

GWS' highest non-derby home crowd
GC's highest non-Pies home crowd
Syd's 9th highest SCG crowd

Collectively the 4 games were about 35k above the long term average for those teams at those venues, so 8.7k on average.

In 2023 (overall a record total) collectively beat the long term average by 2.9k a game.

The most interesting crowds for this week will be to see whether GWS and GC can back up their big crowds and big wins last week without as much away team support.

GWS have only played North 3 times at Showgrounds (2020 - Covid, 2015 - 7,824 & 2012 - 6,696). They should comfortably beat any of those previous crowds, but really hoping they can at least exceed 10k.

GC vs Adelaide at Carrara averages about 12k over time. Again hoping they can beat this by a little bit.

Anyone know how ticket sales are tracking or what the teams are expecting?

The most interesting crowds for this week will be to see whether GWS and GC can back up their big crowds and big wins last week without as much away team support.

GWS have only played North 3 times at Showgrounds (2020 - Covid, 2015 - 7,824 & 2012 - 6,696). They should comfortably beat any of those previous crowds, but really hoping they can at least exceed 10k.

GC vs Adelaide at Carrara averages about 12k over time. Again hoping they can beat this by a little bit.

Anyone know how ticket sales are tracking or what the teams are expecting?

GC v Adelaide seats currently on sale:

1710221756064.png

1710221793828.png

1710221693586.png

Any rows behind those currently on sale wouldn't be sold either.

I don't know enough about how this usually looks. Also unknown is the general admission tickets and GC members.

The last tickets are $60 for back few rows of the Warne Stand, easy to see why they aren't moving.

Anyway, 1 Bay in the AFL members has 4-5 rows left for Carlton/Richmond; compared to about 6 bays left with 4-5 rows for Pies/Swans.

I expect mid-low 80s for Thursday and high 70s for Friday - should break the record for Attendance v non Vic club (76k).

The last tickets are $60 for back few rows of the Warne Stand, easy to see why they aren't moving.

Anyway, 1 Bay in the AFL members has 4-5 rows left for Carlton/Richmond; compared to about 6 bays left with 4-5 rows for Pies/Swans.

I expect mid-low 80s for Thursday and high 70s for Friday - should break the record for Attendance v non Vic club (76k).
What about hawks vs Essendon in the afl members?
General public selling looks decent enough for this fixture mostly level 4 tickets left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC v Adelaide seats currently on sale:

View attachment 1925957

View attachment 1925958

View attachment 1925956

Any rows behind those currently on sale wouldn't be sold either.

I don't know enough about how this usually looks. Also unknown is the general admission tickets and GC members.
Going off these I’d say ticket sales aren’t particularly strong. Sections 208-210 are member seats but there’s plenty of space in there that they haven’t opened for sale yet. 201-202 would be on sale too if it was selling well.

I was a bit hopeful that we’d be able to have a really strong and surprising crowd around 18k but that would be off the table now I think, I’d say it’ll be in the 13-15k range.

If they can get that a bit higher still and get past 16,168 it’ll break the suns largest home crowd vs Adelaide.

What about hawks vs Essendon in the afl members?
General public selling looks decent enough for this fixture mostly level 4 tickets left.
There is always a big GA walkup for Essendon / Hawthorn games. Don’t be fooled by comparatively lower reserved seat pre sales. This future has always surprised on the upside.

There is always a big GA walkup for Essendon / Hawthorn games. Don’t be fooled by comparatively lower reserved seat pre sales. This future has always surprised on the upside.
Probably the toughest to pick out of the lot. Could range anywhere between 68-78k depending on the GA walk up.

Looks to be great weather, good time slot and probably not much competition from junior/ local sports? Are cricket finals still on?

They're selling seats to the public in what is normally the MCC area for Coll/Syd (Q37-40).

On the MCC website it does say: "Please note that the Members' Reserve may be altered on the top level of seating ('Q' section) for a minimal number of matches where public demand is higher than that in the MCC Reserve."

Good to see it actually put into action.

They're selling seats to the public in what is normally the MCC area for Coll/Syd (Q37-40).

On the MCC website it does say: "Please note that the Members' Reserve may be altered on the top level of seating ('Q' section) for a minimal number of matches where public demand is higher than that in the MCC Reserve."

Good to see it actually put into action.
It is weird that they would do that before putting anything from bays q1-7 unless I’ve missed something

Reckon Melbourne v Bulldogs is going to be the most interesting crowd figure of the weekend. Think we all expect Thursday/Friday night to both be over 80K and they both will be. Also have full faith in Essendon and Hawthorn to bring well over 65-70K.

Melbourne get hammered for our home crowds and to be fair - sometimes fairly. However, the numbers have held up quite well over the last two years.

Heard on SEN that they would be disappointed with less than 50,000. What a load of crap.

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs crowds at the MCG (they are way lower at marvel for obvious reasons) over the last decade are:

2023: 48,103 (Saturday Night - first non covid season since 2019, less than 10K dogs fans at the game and being generous with 10k)
2022: 58,002 (Flag Unfurl, Wednesday night + Covid affected crowd, less than 10K dogs fans at the game)
2018: 30,305
2016: 39,921 (Pink Lady Game)
2015: 29,381 (Pink Lady Game)
2014: 36,326
2013: 21,217
2012: 33,565
2010: 45,444 (Friday Night, Pink socks debacle game)

So if you look at this, anything around 40-45,000 would be a great effort given the negativity towards Melbourne, the crap brand of football we play, bulldogs supporters do not travel to the MCG. The only thing that works in this games favour is that Sunday 1pm is a great drawing time slot especially with the older Melbourne fan base considering we have only had 3 red ball games at the G in the last three years. My opinion is that it is going to be around 38-42 with very little faith in both supporter bases.

Curious, what people think is an acceptable attendance figure.

Reckon Melbourne v Bulldogs is going to be the most interesting crowd figure of the weekend. Think we all expect Thursday/Friday night to both be over 80K and they both will be. Also have full faith in Essendon and Hawthorn to bring well over 65-70K.

Melbourne get hammered for our home crowds and to be fair - sometimes fairly. However, the numbers have held up quite well over the last two years.

Heard on SEN that they would be disappointed with less than 50,000. What a load of crap.

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs crowds at the MCG (they are way lower at marvel for obvious reasons) over the last decade are:

2023: 48,103 (Saturday Night - first non covid season since 2019, less than 10K dogs fans at the game and being generous with 10k)
2022: 58,002 (Flag Unfurl, Wednesday night + Covid affected crowd, less than 10K dogs fans at the game)

So if you look at this, anything around 40-45,000 would be a great effort given the negativity towards Melbourne, the crap brand of football we play, bulldogs supporters do not travel to the MCG. The only thing that works in this games favour is that Sunday 1pm is a great drawing time slot especially with the older Melbourne fan base considering we have only had 3 red ball games at the G in the last three years. My opinion is that it is going to be around 38-42 with very little faith in both supporter bases.

I'm shocked and surprised that 6 of the matches were in the 30K mark and lower.

Good points. I think the Demons hierarchy would be privately disappointed with anything below 45,000. History irrelevant to an extent, we haven’t really seen many meaningful potential top 4 Dees / Dogs MCG encounters for 30 years. Flag unfurling aside, that 48K in 2023 I’d have thought would be the number they’d like to get.

Certainly 50K would be a great result. To me, anything below 45K slightly disappointing. I will go 46,500.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back