List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton might have to pony-up $5 million to secure Sydney free agent Will Hayward, given the price for the medium-sized forward is likely to hit $800,000 a season.

Port Adelaide is keen to lure him across the border so with the bidding war fierce, Carlton might need to offer a deal of $750,000-$800,000 a year over six years to get him to move south. It would result in an end-of-first-round compensation pick for Sydney.

Sydney would be unlikely to match a bid of that size, especially given they would secure a quality free agency compensation pick.
6 years @ $800k is only end of first round?

What did McKay go for again?

Will be a first round pick after our first selection.

That's the maximum return from free agency
System is broken. Screw it up and throw it in the bin. No compo for anyone.

Hypothetically, if we were able to get all of the best 25 player to be contracted for next year e.g. Hayward Melican etc. And we were to have the picks we currently have at the moment in 18, 19, 56 & 74. What player positioning/characteristics would we be targeting.

Out of the Academy from what i have seen there is high hopes for Cochran and King (2024 & 2025). I don't expect Cochran to go in the top 30. So hypothetically speaking lets match with pick 56 as that will be around the marker after all other bid matching and pick absorptions.

Therefore we would have 18 & 19 to improve on the list. I think with Heeney's midfield move we lack a good 4th Marking tall in the forward line so we could go there. Also think we could look at a Cunningham successor as another lockdown small as it doesn't look like we have anyone to fill that void.

Probably missed something obvious but just wanted to put my hat in the ring with my general thoughts for list management in the next 12-18 months

Hypothetically, if we were able to get all of the best 25 player to be contracted for next year e.g. Hayward Melican etc. And we were to have the picks we currently have at the moment in 18, 19, 56 & 74. What player positioning/characteristics would we be targeting.

Out of the Academy from what i have seen there is high hopes for Cochran and King (2024 & 2025). I don't expect Cochran to go in the top 30. So hypothetically speaking lets match with pick 56 as that will be around the marker after all other bid matching and pick absorptions.

Therefore we would have 18 & 19 to improve on the list. I think with Heeney's midfield move we lack a good 4th Marking tall in the forward line so we could go there. Also think we could look at a Cunningham successor as another lockdown small as it doesn't look like we have anyone to fill that void.

Probably missed something obvious but just wanted to put my hat in the ring with my general thoughts for list management in the next 12-18 months
We will pick best available as always and hope to trade for who we need. That is KB's philosophy.

Played a bit forward as a junior, it’s not a terrible idea however it isn’t the way I’d go personally.
Watched a fair bit of Cal in junior footy, can’t say I recall him playing as a forward… he was always in the guts, unless you’re referring to him playing mid and breaking forward for the odd goal?
But yes, he shouldn’t be considered as a forward.
Plan A shld be midfield (but LOL, who for?) and plan B is in defence … and he’s probably the ideal replacement for Rampe down the track.

Last edited:
Watched a fair bit of Cal in junior footy, can’t say I recall him playing as a forward… he was always in the guts, unless you’re referring him to playing mid and breaking forward for the odd goal?
But yes, he shouldn’t be considered as a forward.
Plan A shld be midfield (but LOL, who for?) and plan B is in defence … and he’s probably the ideal replacement for Rampe down the track.

Bear in mind the new HF’s are basically mid positions nowadays. He has played a bit fwd of centre but it’s not natural think he may take a wing position next year anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A long shot for obvious reasons and he has injury issues, but the player I would be trying to convince to come is Tom Lynch.

Why? Logan is there

I wonder if Moi Moi is on MSD radars of other Clubs. Looked impressive yet again. Quick, buzzy and mercurial small forwards are demand.

Better today but has faded a bit in second halves, suggesting his fitness base is not high.

Logan would still be in the team.

Lynch would do what Bud did the last two year prevent a Logan getting opportunities it’s a waste of time

Is Battle worth a look. Solid defender and can go forward if required.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Love the Battle shout as he is underrated. So yeah i would like to see us look at him but feel he is bound to have a couple of big offers from Victorian contenders.

Love the Battle shout as he is underrated. So yeah i would like to see us look at him but feel he is bound to have a couple of big offers from Victorian contenders.

Pretty much can see the Pies having a massive look for one even Carlton he’s sort of the type that’s stopping Carlton winning it as good as Weitering is, it tapers off after him in quality

I wonder if Moi Moi is on MSD radars of other Clubs. Looked impressive yet again. Quick, buzzy and mercurial small forwards are demand.

Better today but has faded a bit in second halves, suggesting his fitness base is not high.
His partner is in our AFLW team, so he may not want to leave now (even though his home team is Geelong West)

Could get a few bites though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back