Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL have come out today and said they knew it was happening. Wada is bullshit anyway.

they can have these drugs in their system 6 days out of the week, but not game day. They get tested and avoid playing the game. Wada should be cheering on the actions of the doctors.

Or do we all want players to be getting significant bans for testing positive to an illegal drug? I don’t.
Whatever you think of WADA, it's the governing body of world sport. It's extremely serious for a league to violate that code. Our league is lying to a world doping agency. Medical professionals covering it up. Incredible amount at stake now this is out.

Not to mention the actual problem should be addressed which is the welfare of young men. Players getting suspended for it is the result of the actual issue. Fix the issue, instead they are wilfully ignoring it and then lying about it.

Whatever you think of WADA, it's the governing body of world sport. It's extremely serious for a league to violate that code. Our league is lying to a world doping agency. Medical professionals covering it up. Incredible amount at stake now this is out.

Not to mention the actual problem should be addressed which is the welfare of young men. Players getting suspended for it is the result of the actual issue. Fix the issue, instead they are wilfully ignoring it and then lying about it.
Bottom line is, Max should’ve got off

Not to mention the actual problem should be addressed which is the welfare of young men. Players getting suspended for it isn't the result of the actual issue. Fix the issue, instead they are wilfully ignoring it and then lying about it.
100% this.

To me the major issue that will be latched onto (and rightly so) is sacrificing the welfare component of the drugs policy (whether you personally believe it or not) to gain a competitive advantage.

I also think Melbourne has done this to themselves. Having the coach implicated and their very very public and forceful "we dont have a culture problem stuff" has blown up deluxe now.

Even in the West Coast and Hawthorn scandal days they just shut the * up and NO one was accusing Clarko and Woosha of bagging up with the boys.

Drugs amongst AFL players happens (more a cashed up young men problem than a football problem IMO) but its always accepted that coaches and admin are working to try an minimise, stop and help the players. Melbourne CLEARLY wasnt doing that.

Bottom line is, Max should’ve got off
Perhaps he's on the bags and the incident was graded as medium so he'd be forced to take a week

Nobody knows anymore with the yahoo's that run this clown show ffs

It's not clear to me what code has been violated, what is criminal (per Edmunds), and what is the "voluntary policy". All very ambiguous in the reporting.

In reality this should be a Melbourne Storm type penalty, play for no points this year and if its proven this dates back to their flag, strip it.

In all likelihood given the AFL seems to be implicit in it, big fine and probably some late draft picks stripped.
At a bare minimum I think we should receive possession of Petracca, as our list manager was clearly high at the time - no doubt enabled by the horrible environment cultivated by the AFL

It's not clear to me what code has been violated, what is criminal (per Edmunds), and what is the "voluntary policy". All very ambiguous in the reporting.
Yeah I havent looked through WADA policy obviously, but independent testing for game day drugs and removal of said player from that game day cant surely be considered to be breaking code? It might be on a reporting/sharing of information level though?

Yeah I havent looked through WADA policy obviously, but independent testing for game day drugs and removal of said player from that game day cant surely be considered to be breaking code? It might be on a reporting/sharing of information level though?
Isnt using false statements (medical reports) to avoid a WADA gameday test an offence?

Seems clear cut to me

Isnt using false statements (medical reports) to avoid a WADA gameday test an offence?

Seems clear cut to me
Removing the player from the team is what avoids the test. Whether something feels like an "offence" is not really the standard - if it is one it should be easily verified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems clear cut to me
I dunno, does WADA require documentation on all players who arent playing a game that weekend and why? No one is actually avoiding required testing under this scenario remember.

Removing the player from the team is what avoids the test. Whether something feels like an "offence" is not really the standard - if it is one it should be easily verified.

I dunno, does WADA require documentation on all players who arent playing a game that weekend and why? No one is actually avoiding required testing under this scenario remember.
Im not a lawyer so i stand to be corrected but avoiding tests is generally considered a positive test. If its gameday then its in competition. Whats the difference between Sun Yang smashing his blood vials and a false medical report to avoid a gameday test?

Im not a lawyer so i stand to be corrected but avoiding tests is generally considered a positive test. If its gameday then its in competition. Whats the difference between Sun Yang smashing his blood vials and a false medical report to avoid a gameday test?
Im no lawyer either so this is all guess work but im sure the argument will be that you cant avoid a gameday test if you arent required to take a gameday test due to not playing on gameday.

I completely understand there may be a breakdown in protocol here, but its all guesswork until its shown that theyre even required to submit injury reports at all. Thing is, asada/wada are completely within their rights to test at any time which no one has attempted to stop them from doing either so im not sure that can fly as an argument.

Its absolutely the AFL protecting their own in what is a deceitful and morally wrong fashion but im just not sure they've actually broken any actual rules here.

It sort of makes sense what the AFL has done, it avoids any players breaking the WADA anti-doping rules by making sure they don't play with a banned substance in their system. That's a tick in isolation since it's completely voluntary if they test or not.

The issue is these players are still breaking the law by taking these substances and the whole "fake injury" thing is problematic.

Last edited:
Of course it’s breaking code
They’re dodging positive results and if there is one not reporting it lol

Imagine it was peds and teams were microdosing and testing to make sure it was out the system quick

This is huge

If you're not playing then how are you dodging? This is about getting a performance enhancement during match play. If you don't play how could you possibly gain any performance enhancement? I'm keen to hear from WADA but what the AFL is saying is WADA does not care as long as the player doesn't play.

The second part about microdosing, there is no suggestion at all about anyone doing that kind of thing. If that was happening that would be huge.

I'm more interested in the substance abuse issues being covered up and the fake injury side of the issue.

Last edited:
The other issue that's that come into play are federal funding and gambling partnerships.

AFLs funding is linked to being WADA compliant. Whilst there may not be any actual doping going on, it's clearly not in the spirit of the testing regime. I would think that the government would be pretty salty about funding a comp looking for loopholes with regards to sports integrity and player welfare.

The second issue is that if players are reporting fake injuries, they are undermining the fairness of the punters betting on the game (I know it's a group most of us will feel little sympathy for) but it's still something that I would think compromises the relationship between the league and their biggest cash cow.

I can't see this not being a huge story. The former Melbourne president and Joel Smith's dad are on the warpath now and they won't find it hard to bring some opportunistic pollies to beat the drums for them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goodwin fall on his sword and for some senior league officials to face an inquiry over this.

So I take something that’s performance enhancing according to wada get done privately they cover it up I fake an injury and don’t play that week… in case it’s still in my system on Fri night when I play and it’s now Thursday?
there’s nothing wrong with this?

Maybe I can train on some performance enhancing stuff mid week and be clean for game day… all good, didn’t test positive

Its just coke that we know of
I mean there’s never been ped use at all in the league

Usually when s**t gets out there’s a lot more actually happening

If you're not playing then how are you dodging? This is about getting a performance enhancement during match play. If you don't play how could you possibly gain any performance enhancement? I'm keen to hear from WADA but what the AFL is saying is WADA does not care as long as the player doesn't play.

The second part about microdosing, there is no suggestion at all about anyone doing that kind of thing. If that was happening that would be huge.

I'm more interested in the substance abuse issues being covered up and the fake injury side of the issue.
Well there sort of is, a number of stimulants are considering performance enhancing (including cocaine I believe).

If you’re just missing games and not being tested accordingly that’s one thing.

Avoiding tests because you know you have used us another.

Forging medical records and injur reports to assist in doing so is another again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back