Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if Tassie get up and going McKercher will be a prime target. Could see Webster finishing there as well.

Webster will be too old IMO. 35 would be pushing it for Jimmy. Prime McKercher should get North a suite of high picks anyway.

With regard to football action’s Sidebottom’s coat hanger tackle on Owens still has me stumped.

In a game of professional rugby it would be a penalty and a sending off, with a suspension by a tribunal to follow. The logic in rugby is that it is at worst a malicious action and at best extremely poor technique.

On a rugby field and amongst players Sidebottoms action is considered a lazy, dog act (like punching) and no doubt tempers would flare.

That the AFL does not even consider that action worthy of being reported is laughable in the context of the concussion scourge. Especially when a contact like Kings is deemed a mandatory suspension.

It will be interesting to compare the lists in a couple of years. I like what North have put together. McKercher, Sheezel, LDU, Wardlkaw and Duursma all look absolute cream. They still have guys like Powell and Lazzaro who are highly rated and have a few young talls in development.

Our youth look like the best we've had in 20 years but if they don't take that step up to absolute stars we probably have a ceiling. Nas is elite, King is heading to elite and then we have a group that are high potential that we really need to get to Bont level rather than Steele level.

North had passages of play yesterday that showed their future and I'd be pretty encouraged if I was them.
North have done well with their mids but seemed to have over capitalised all their picks in that one area with a weak backline and forward line forming. The Dogs over the past 4 years have shown you need more than a great midfield so it will be interesting to see if North can fill those gaps by the time their mids are hitting their prime.

If we get a group of kids to Bont level, we would be unstoppable. Bont is a top 3 player in the league.

Expectations may be a tough high there gringo.

They don't all have to be but a couple of absolute top end types would be ideal. I still think that's where we have our limitations. We have a good solid side but lack absolute top end. Those guys could be on the list and just need development but it's probably the difference between scraping into top 4 and a flag.

Our best players are Sincs, maybe Steele next still, Nas, Wilkie, Marshall. All are A graders with a foot in the elite pool.

Developing into something but not there yet- King, Henry, Owens, Windhager, Coops, Byrnes, Phillipou, Wilson.

Solid high end soldiers- Membrey, Battle, Crouch, Hill, Wood, Higgins, Butler, Howard, Stocker, Bonner, Webster, Ross, Jones, Clark, Cordy, Dow.

Then depth and development projects under that.

We really need some of those match winners that take the game on and carry the team into battle. We have a nice deep squad but the absolute cream is still missing. King should get there and a few from his pool probably step up into the top line but we need to replace the older ones of those while bringing in enough young talent to bridge the gap on the top 4.

North have done well with their mids but seemed to have over capitalised all their picks in that one area with a weak backline and forward line forming. The Dogs over the past 4 years have shown you need more than a great midfield so it will be interesting to see if North can fill those gaps by the time their mids are hitting their prime.

Clarko did that at Hawks too. Built a forward line and midfield and then went and got Lake, Frawley and Gibson from other clubs.

A few passages of link up run yesterday showed how much talent is running through that midfield. They remind me of Brisbane a year or two before they came good. You could see the talent start to develop. They'll jump quickly at some stage. I actually think their midfield looked a lot better than Carlton's but they look like inexperienced players still. I'd love Wardlaw and LDU at the Saints.

The MRO and the tribunal is chook lotto, there are so many inconsistencies in their rulings it's not funny.

I still can't understand how Maynard got off scot free for a flying shoulder charge on Brayshaw disguised as a smother.

It was no surprise that another star Collingwood player in Pendlebury got off with a fine rather than a suspension.

I think we all know the reason.

Michael-2_jqiskt.jpg

The sooner they get rid of that biased Collingwood clown Michael Christian the better.

We need to get a biased St Kilda clown to do the job instead.

MceWIHgn.jpg
Why do people think that Christiansen is the problem? The last bloke was just as bad, as was the one before, as will be the one after.
Outcomes are probably decided in the halls of the TV networks and betting agencies and passed to the league to execute.

Total nuclear meltdown on the Crows board

They’re cracking on about poor drafting and a bland list with a below par coach. Reminds me of us during our Trout / Richardson years.

They’re hung up on taking McAsey at pick 6 (our pick 6 by the way) in 2019 and then watching Fremantle take Serong and Young at 7 and 8.

Why do people think that Christiansen is the problem? The last bloke was just as bad, as was the one before, as will be the one after.
Outcomes are probably decided in the halls of the TV networks and betting agencies and passed to the league to execute.

It's the system, always has been, just, MC is not the sharpest tool in that shed.

North got smashed by 10 goals, looked no where near Carlton and imo should hand over Good Friday rights to a worthy team, the Saints. It fits!

The hype around North's youf is unjustified until they start actually winning games. And that's more than one in a row.

Brisbane Lions players have split from their partners and the club has held a crisis meeting over an end of season trip to Vegas.
The winless Lions called the meeting of their leaders late on Good Friday to discuss revelations that rifts occurred on that holiday to the United States.

The Herald Sun understands that one of the members of the travelling party accidentally uploaded a WhatsApp group chat to iCloud on his Apple Phone.

That person’s partner accessed the group chat back home in Australia and read messages that detailed what was happening in the US.

The Lions drama unfolded in Las Vegas.
Those messages were then shared with other partners, who were furious at some of the wild antics being discussed in the group chat.

The travelling party of about 10 was mostly players and their US trip finished in Vegas.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann said he did not know if the WhatsApp group chat used in the US had been accidentally uploaded to iCloud and accessed back home.

But Swann emphatically shot down suggestions that the November trip was hampering the club on the field.

“If the question is, ‘Is there a split in a group?’ Well, no there isn’t,” Swann told the Herald Sun.

“It’s just bulls***. There’s no split in the group. This was in November, by the way. It’s not the reason we’re going no good.

“We’re not horrible, by the way. It’s just that a few of our good blokes are out of form.

“We asked all the leaders again today and they said, ‘No, there’s nothing in it at all’ in terms of a split in the group.”

Chris Fagan’s Lions have had a winless start to the season after making the Grand Final. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Chris Fagan’s Lions have had a winless start to the season after making the Grand Final. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
The Lions are co-captained by Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews. A further seven players are in the club’s leadership group.

Senior officials at the Lions started fielding calls about the US trip during last week’s bye.

More Coverage​

Anxious Lions’ biggest strength turned weakness a head scratcher
Pies find hangover cure – but it was far from a ‘statement’
The Lions were premiership favourites on the eve of the season.

They were undefeated at the Gabba in 2023, but have been knocked off at home by Carlton and Collingwood this year.

The Lions gave up leads of 46 points (Carlton) and 25 points (Fremantle) in their first two losses this year.
Gee, all good there’s no split in the group affecting the footy.

Never mind the split in the personal relationships….🙄

Think it would be a good idea to have a revolving MRO personally.
Two year tenure, then out.

Think it would be a good idea to have a revolving MRO personally.
Two year tenure, then out.

Id agree with this, but also, get a random doc in there all "humans can't do that" so they actually ballpark what is possible would help with perception things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions players have split from their partners and the club has held a crisis meeting over an end of season trip to Vegas.
The winless Lions called the meeting of their leaders late on Good Friday to discuss revelations that rifts occurred on that holiday to the United States.

The Herald Sun understands that one of the members of the travelling party accidentally uploaded a WhatsApp group chat to iCloud on his Apple Phone.

That person’s partner accessed the group chat back home in Australia and read messages that detailed what was happening in the US.

The Lions drama unfolded in Las Vegas.
Those messages were then shared with other partners, who were furious at some of the wild antics being discussed in the group chat.

The travelling party of about 10 was mostly players and their US trip finished in Vegas.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann said he did not know if the WhatsApp group chat used in the US had been accidentally uploaded to iCloud and accessed back home.

But Swann emphatically shot down suggestions that the November trip was hampering the club on the field.

“If the question is, ‘Is there a split in a group?’ Well, no there isn’t,” Swann told the Herald Sun.

“It’s just bulls***. There’s no split in the group. This was in November, by the way. It’s not the reason we’re going no good.

“We’re not horrible, by the way. It’s just that a few of our good blokes are out of form.

“We asked all the leaders again today and they said, ‘No, there’s nothing in it at all’ in terms of a split in the group.”

The Lions are co-captained by Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews. A further seven players are in the club’s leadership group.

Senior officials at the Lions started fielding calls about the US trip during last week’s bye.

More Coverage​

Anxious Lions’ biggest strength turned weakness a head scratcher
Pies find hangover cure – but it was far from a ‘statement’
The Lions were premiership favourites on the eve of the season.

They were undefeated at the Gabba in 2023, but have been knocked off at home by Carlton and Collingwood this year.

The Lions gave up leads of 46 points (Carlton) and 25 points (Fremantle) in their first two losses this year.
received_1558550744939575.jpg

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They’re cracking on about poor drafting and a bland list with a below par coach. Reminds me of us during our Trout / Richardson years.

They’re hung up on taking McAsey at pick 6 (our pick 6 by the way) in 2019 and then watching Fremantle take Serong and Young at 7 and 8.

I think they had bit of an overachieve year which set expectations too high. They look a 9th to 16th side.

Bad drafting can set you back years.

As they should be. Freo are terrible.

I still get amazed that they kick winning scores, Walters aside, it's basically a hodge podge group of "let's play Jackson as the the rest are kinda average". First time I heard someone speaking about Jye Amiss I thought he was hexing some kid FFS, and Patrick Voss' upper lip is trying to take over his face, his resting face is "I'm holding a dump, teehee".

But yeah. they're a bit like us in that when they go forward, it's just work to score, only unlike us, it's not because we're young or their HFF is the problem, it's just their talent ID is kind of s**t when it comes to KP.

Freo didn't need to be any good, Adelaide were rancid.
Like Melbourne v Hawks last week, Freo didn't need to get out of second gear.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im surprised nicks is still coach... but then again also surprise longmuir still has a job. Dude looks like he has a semi functional fentanyl addiction.

Well, with the average of 2 x teams leaving the 8 this year you'd have money on (bizarrely) one of either Collingwood or Brisbane (basically whichever team fails to get its s**t together the quickest - I'd say Lions at this point), and us.

Looks like a tough year with us, Freo, Dogs, Essendon (Blech), Suns, probably Lions and maybe Crows all fighting in that ~7 - 12 bracket. Freo at this point almost certain to have one of those spots at this point.

Could be an unpopular opinion, but really enjoying the commentary on the Richmond Sydney game.

Matt Hill for the play by play, very neutral and calling the play in a refreshing way.

Garry Lyon with live analysis, makes good points doesn’t carry on.

Dwayne Russel with the big moment calls and Russelisms “SCRAPED IN BY A COAT OF PAINT!”

It’s the bare minimum but makes channel 7 commentary team look like shite.

Last edited:
Could be an unpopular opinion, but really enjoying the commentary on the Richmond Sydney game.

Matt Hill for the play by play, very neutral and calling the play in a refreshing way.

Garry Lyon with live analysis, makes good points doesn’t carry on.

Dwayne Russel with the big moment calls and Russelisms “SCRAPED IN BY A COAT OF PAINT!”

It’s the bare minimum but makes channel 7 commentary team look like shite.
Matt Hill is miles ahead of any commentator. Victorian racing is lucky to have him as the main caller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back