Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking of Tasmania, is anyone worried that a side effect of the Tassie team's inclusion will force Hawthorn to abandon its expansion into that area and instead focus on encroaching on our territory?

That Dingley dump is horrible now, but It might be worse when it's a thriving developer of powerful brown and yellow products... erm, of a footballing kind.

Does anyone know if the club has any strategic plans to avoid being pushed out of our own homeland?

I suppose we can hope that Hawthorn decides to remain in Tassie and try to firm a pseudo state rivalry, but it seems a risky strategy with all the goodwill down there for a state team.

We seem to have ex footballers or wannabe characters now days. Effortless characters like Dennis Commetti, Rex Hunt or even Bruce McArveny types don't exist anymore. Pro sportscasters that had a voice and enthusiasm that complemented the game. JB, Whately, BT etc are all annoying and take too much attention off the game. The ex players all sound like they sufferer form CTE symptoms.

I reckon the best of a bad lot is Anthony Hudson. He has a distinctive voice, can modulate - knows when to rise and when to take it easy etc.

Talking of Tasmania, is anyone worried that a side effect of the Tassie team's inclusion will force Hawthorn to abandon its expansion into that area and instead focus on encroaching on our territory?

That Dingley dump is horrible now, but It might be worse when it's a thriving developer of powerful brown and yellow products... erm, of a footballing kind.

Does anyone know if the club has any strategic plans to avoid being pushed out of our own homeland?

I suppose we can hope that Hawthorn decides to remain in Tassie and try to firm a pseudo state rivalry, but it seems a risky strategy with all the goodwill down there for a state team.

With Tassie coming in the money ends for the Hawks and the Roos. Most of what they got came from Government coffers and there’s simply no need to have these Victorian interlopers hanging around the Apple Isle now the Devils are on the horizon.

However to the point of that stinking pile of dirt in Dingley. You are not the first to worry about the piss and poos move to the Southern suburbs however I think people are overstating the risks to our club.

Dingley is a fair way from Linton Street and a long way from the beachside suburbs that run from St Kilda to Portsea that represent our target supporter base. A stinking methane leaking paddock near the Din San Nursery is a far reach from a Beach Umbrella, towel and Esky on the sands at the end of South Road.

A multitude of inner city clubs survive in close proximity to each other so I’m sure we can continue with our growth in our magnificent facility at RSEA Park.

I do not fear the Hawks moving a bit closer. We just need to keep making the best decisions for ourselves.

#AFLlookalikes

Whenever I see Luke Jackson in action he always reminds me of a certain type of muppet d52324cd1fabbbb9f21571634583a99b.jpg th%20(14).jpg

austinnn.....I personally think that when the tip has been finished for the Hawks new digs.....the impact on the Saints will be negligable.

We have been for years working on the "Port Melbourne to Portsea" model.....engage and try to get people to join/follow the club in that belt.

In the urban areas around the tip.....you'd think people would already have a team if they follow AFL.

And I think it was last season that the aim was announced to get players in that belt into the system with the aim to get them to the Saints....NGA etc.

I think we're pretty safe and the effect from the Hawks would be minimal.

Gee I hope they adjust the rules with NGA to go for Cole then have Elwood and Boston shoot up and we get picks 1 & 2 F/S Picks

Have we ever seen a bigger sensationalist in the game?

I got a sniff of this on the rumours board, a few more juicy details than the above tweet (though I didn't watch the video), for any curious souls. An expression was used: "What happened in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas!"

Hopefully those involved are able to reach a resolution to avoid it affecting the club too much. But if that doesn't happen, I hope that it might make a certain midfielder consider packing his

bags:cool:

Would put our kids up against Norths kids anytime.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon looking back, that trade period where we brought in Jones, Hill, Butler, Howard and Ryder was a winner. Brought in the senior players we needed to surround the youth. North still look like a mess despite having good youngsters.

#AFLlookalikes

Whenever I see Luke Jackson in action he always reminds me of a certain type of muppetView attachment 1943267View attachment 1943268

Aunty Jack Son.
OIP.iqXXssYHqWcrmbNFe1RW4gHaEK

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrible game, the Crows have gone backwards after re-signing Nicks and Longmuir looks like he has borrowed RTB's game plan from 2007.

So, powerstance, awkward bus trips and profiling meets "I want 75 I50 and IDC if you miss everything!"?

Live ladder has Freo sitting in 2nd. Geez I hope we can win the next couple of games and start to get players back. This season looks that it will be as open as any to finish top 4. We need to stay in touch before our Marvel run home kicks in.

What the hell has happened to Adelaide? I thought they'd take the next step this year but so far it looks like it's broken.

Early days yet, and I should wait to see which St Kilda turns up tomorrow, but starting to suspect it could be a fun year for Saints fans, with a few teams around us looking less convincing than last year. Very early days though.

I have a particular view on this.
I fear that this decision by Hawthorn to relocate to Dingley may prove to be “courageous”, to paraphrase Sir Humphrey.
The announcement was made just after their threepeat in 2015.
The declared cost in 2015 $ was $135mill.
The ambition was to build the best facilities in the League and to service the entire community of the southeast.
All of which struck me as peak hubris at the time.

Of course, things haven’t panned out as expected.
Remember, this is when their business model included $4mill pa from the Tasmanian Government, and another $4mill pa from poker machines.
Something we didn’t have, and something they will no longer have.

They could have chosen anywhere, like further down Wellington Road towards the freeway where there was plenty of suitable land.
It would have made sense too, being closer to their geographic heartland than Dingley.
They could have stayed at Waverley and invested their $’s elsewhere.

But Dingley, it seems, was chosen either because this land was gifted to them.
Or there was some ambition to muscle into a new market.

If it was the former, that’s not exactly the best strategic reason to relocate.
If it was the latter, it’s not just us that they’d be competing with as Melbourne have an established presence in Casey and Richmond’s support stronghold is in the south east too. Plus they run the risk of other clubs muscling in on their historic base, what is good for the goose is good for the gander eh?

I’d argue the rationale of relocating to a new market, to capture that market, is somewhat outdated. Didn’t seem to bother any of the inner city clubs when Collingwood moved to Olympic Park. Doesn’t make sense given all Melbourne teams now only play at the two venues. Might have made sense if the business model from 1965 still worked.

TL;DR:

It might be a raging success for them, or it might just well be their version of Seaford. Probably something in between.
Who knows?
But I take your point: yes, you’d want the Club to be aware of the threat but not fixated to our detriment.

Poor Charlie, what an awful situation to put yourself in. Sam Gilbert vibes

Probably prickish, but seeing it more as a FAFO situation.

Gilbo legitimately could feel sorry for, basically got catfished and she sought to ruin him and by proxy us, these Brissie players, I'm not sure if you want to hug them or kick them in the balls at present because it screams they FA and their partners FO.

Since I have been very young and around footy clubs when they are celebratory, what I've seen in my life at what age, if that happened in todays social, would probably be deemed illegal. They get wild. Suffice to say, I am inclined to believe the rumours about what they did in Vegas as it's not far removed from those days in my memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back