Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he's a good Scotch "do whatever you like we're not going to pay you" college guy himself who failed at cricket that he then had to jump into commentary as opposed to the successful one that went on to referee for the original Gladiators.
"Gladiators", lol... I never watched that crap. Well, I think he's a tosser.

Because he's a good Scotch "do whatever you like we're not going to pay you" college guy himself who failed at cricket that he then had to jump into commentary as opposed to the successful one that went on to referee for the original Gladiators.

Yeah he's a Scotch college guy, I played for a WA junior rugby team and they were no Scotch guys in our team, they were all from Aquinas.

A lot of good AFL players have come from Aquinas like Nat Fyfe, Elliot Yeo, Liam Baker, Chad Warner, Ben Allen, Peter Bell and Daniel Kerr.

I don't think they would be bragging too much about Daniel Kerr these days though, they have probably taken his photo off the wall now.

I'm so pissed off that Brisbane didn't keep up the good work we did against Collingwood.

They have let us all down, it would have been a lot funnier seeing Collingwood go 0-4 than seeing Brisbane go 0-3.

It makes our win against Collingwood look better though, we beat them on their home ground while Brisbane couldn't beat them on theirs.

They have let us all down, it would have been a lot funnier seeing Collingwood go 0-4 than seeing Brisbane go 0-3.

It makes our win against Collingwood look better though, we beat them on their home ground while Brisbane couldn't beat them on theirs.

Hilarious if the Hawks beat them.

"Gladiators", lol... I never watched that crap. Well, I think he's a tosser.

All I'll say is, peak OG Gladiators, barely a teen, Nicola Davico aka Cheeta (google her if you wish) in full regalia, forwent the shake of the hands in meeting randos, instead, went for the hug. You don't refuse that.

Also, Mike Whitney was slightly more professional than James Brayshaw in the cricket space and both of them lowered colours by whoring out to the media. In any event, as I have been in the car with one Edwardo Maguire a few times, I refuse to believe anyone else has their head so far up their own arse to be degraded openly, it's just not possible.

All I'll say is, peak OG Gladiators, barely a teen, Nicola Davico aka Cheeta (google her if you wish) in full regalia, forwent the shake of the hands in meeting randos, instead, went for the hug. You don't refuse that.

Also, Mike Whitney was slightly more professional than James Brayshaw in the cricket space and both of them lowered colours by whoring out to the media. In any event, as I have been in the car with one Edwardo Maguire a few times, I refuse to believe anyone else has their head so far up their own arse to be degraded openly, it's just not possible.

My cousin went on one episode of the old Gladiators.
She lost badly but i still think she was/is awesome.
And her academic achievements outweigh her physical.

I do remember Mike Whitney being on a game show... apart from cricket I remember him more for Sydney Weekender as I live in Sydney for quite some time.

That reminds me of something I did whilst in Sydney that is footy related... I was really pissed off with Sydneysiders & their opposition to AFL.... In the 80's & 90's everybody denigrated AFL "that stupid game", aerial ping pong" There as almost no AFL news, barely a reply, it was conspiricy, an AFL blackout.

So over about a 12 month period I made a log of everything written about every sport in the Sun Herald & the Sunday Sun. I scored each sport by columns from the papers, including photos. Of course NRL was the main sport & completely outstripped anything else.

AFL ran almost dead last. there were a few others like LaCross & Hurling that featured roughly the same but there was a real concerted effort to not promote AFL. There were zero articles that didn't include the Swans. Lawn bowls was twice as popular & even Robert Parrella on his own got more attention.

F**k Sydney & there pretentious w@nkers that live there.

I do remember Mike Whitney being on a game show... apart from cricket I remember him more for Sydney Weekender as I live in Sydney for quite some time.

That reminds me of something I did whilst in Sydney that is footy related... I was really pissed off with Sydneysiders & their opposition to AFL.... In the 80's & 90's everybody denigrated AFL "that stupid game", aerial ping pong" There as almost no AFL news, barely a reply, it was conspiricy, an AFL blackout.

So over about a 12 month period I made a log of everything written about every sport in the Sun Herald & the Sunday Sun. I scored each sport by columns from the papers, including photos. Of course NRL was the main sport & completely outstripped anything else.

AFL ran almost dead last. there were a few others like LaCross & Hurling that featured roughly the same but there was a real concerted effort to not promote AFL. There were zero articles that didn't include the Swans. Lawn bowls was twice as popular & even Robert Parrella on his own got more attention.

F**k Sydney & there pretentious w@nkers that live there.

I remember Whitney doing shows too but never watched gladiators. I've got a vague memory of a prank show.

Just about all the footy commentators are aggressively mediocre. Not helped by bringing guys straight in after retirement like J Roo and Selwood.

We seem to have ex footballers or wannabe characters now days. Effortless characters like Dennis Commetti, Rex Hunt or even Bruce McArveny types don't exist anymore. Pro sportscasters that had a voice and enthusiasm that complemented the game. JB, Whately, BT etc are all annoying and take too much attention off the game. The ex players all sound like they sufferer form CTE symptoms.

I reckon the best of a bad lot is Anthony Hudson. He has a distinctive voice, can modulate - knows when to rise and when to take it easy etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who dares wins. Absolute classic.

My first crush Tania Zaetta

That's right. Zaetta was huge back then. She never did it for me but she was a huge celebrity. I remember she did Ralph or some soft pr0n mens mag and it sold out and people were paying up to get a copy. She did a calendar signing back in the day and there was nearly a stampede of 15 year old boys.

We seem to have ex footballers or wannabe characters now days. Effortless characters like Dennis Commetti, Rex Hunt or even Bruce McArveny types don't exist anymore. Pro sportscasters that had a voice and enthusiasm that complemented the game. JB, Whately, BT etc are all annoying and take too much attention off the game. The ex players all sound like they sufferer form CTE symptoms.

I reckon the best of a bad lot is Anthony Hudson. He has a distinctive voice, can modulate - knows when to rise and when to take it easy etc.
Matt Hill and Hudson did a game earlier in the year together and it was therapeutic

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I used to religiously listen to Huddo and Big Rexy on 3AW.

As you say gringo......Huddo has a very easy voice to listen too.

He was great.

Loved Big Rexy(and didn't he used to plug big time his Fish n Chips joint in Port Melbourne) until the 2005 Prelim.

After big bad Barry punched "Goose Maguire's" stomach into the 5th row.......and Rexy came out very publicly saying Matt faked it......I lost complete respect for Rex after that.

How's Taylor stamping all over the possible goal of the year with his continued Collingwood bias yelling 'IT WAS OUT, IT WAS OUT'
Not a word about the skill from him, no talking up the goal, just him destroying the moment.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

How's Taylor stamping all over the possible goal of the year with his continued Collingwood bias yelling 'IT WAS OUT, IT WAS OUT'
Not a word about the skill from him, no talking up the goal, just him destroying the moment.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The funny thing is it wasn't even necessarily out. If it was out it was by millimetres.

One thing, I hope for roos sake that comben is a half decent defender. Because Corr, Pink and Dawson are woeful

Just about all the footy commentators are aggressively mediocre. Not helped by bringing guys straight in after retirement like J Roo and Selwood.
I know this is a stupid question... but who is "J Roo"?

I remember returning to the forums last season & it took me ages to work out what RTB stood for lol.

I hate shop talk, pet names & excessive abbreviations... Americans do it all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back