Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are a team that historically finds ways of getting money to players - he'll get a VISY ambassador role, there's no way he's coming
A couple of mates of mine, who have done very well and are connected at the top end of Collins St, are active in the Carlton coteries.

The amount of opportunities outside the club that they can muster is astonishing.

Geelong may have land deals, but the blue boys have boardroom clout.

That goes someway to explaining their ability to lure Kennedy, Cerra, Acres, Hewitt, Saad, Z. Williams, Docherty, M. McGovern, E. Hollands, Newman, Fantasia, Fogarty, Young and Martin.

I can’t think of any club other than the Cats with such a high proportion of traded in mature talent where you’re thinking - how do they fit them all in?

I remember Nick Malceski doing it. Then playing like a bloke who was cashing in a paycheck and had lost all passion for the game.

And Brandon Ellis.

If you can call them guns.
Young guns or in their prime is probably a better way of saying it considering Malceski was neither. Ellis though, I wouldn't call a gun.

If they get Pick 2 compo, then our pick 2 gets pushed back to Pick 3 and it's yet another year where our top picks gets pushed back due to "equalization". It clearly matters to Hawthorn.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time we had a first round pick stay the same after the draft as we went in?
2017 and our pick went to St Kilda, thanks to the JOM trade.

I remember Nick Malceski doing it. Then playing like a bloke who was cashing in a paycheck and had lost all passion for the game.

And Brandon Ellis.

If you can call them guns.
Malceski was cooked . Had chronic injuries and couldn't believe it when GC threw a large deal at him .

Pick purchasing ready for next year I hear.

Could be massive for us.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Could be massive for us.
It should be in this year the AFL are happy to change rules on the fly what’s changed? it’s could have been a game changer especially when the top 20 is meant to be good and even. Spend millions buying teens picks off the clubs who have bids to match or salary cap issues package them up to get higher or future picks and bring in something like 7-8 top 20 picks this year and next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gun players just do not leave top clubs for bottom clubs for money.
Unlikely, yes, but we’re also supposedly offering insane money to Taylor. At least you can say we’re trying.

Unlikely, yes, but we’re also supposedly offering insane money to Taylor. At least you can say we’re trying.

This generation of athletes tend to not want to be the highest paid player on a lowly side. For decades lowly teams could occasionally get the odd gun recruit if they opened the chequebook - but these days even average footy players earn more than the vast majority of highly paid professionals. Particularly when the player in question hasn’t won a flag and could be contending for one - silly money probably isn’t going to get the job done.

Could be massive for us.
Clubs are not going to sell top 10 picks. It will be clubs who finish top 4 and want cap space for a free agent. Such as North pay $1mill for pick 16 from Collingwood and Collingwood sign Sam Taylor. Pick 16 then gets pushed back to 25 with bids/compo.

I see Tyler Keitel is having another good start to the WAFL season, kicking 13 goals in 4 games. Reigning WAFL leading goal kicker. Given our forward options at present I wonder if he’s being watched.

Clubs are not going to sell top 10 picks. It will be clubs who finish top 4 and want cap space for a free agent. Such as North pay $1mill for pick 16 from Collingwood and Collingwood sign Sam Taylor. Pick 16 then gets pushed back to 25 with bids/compo.
Pick 7 and Jack Bowes for $1.6M cap space sound familiar ?

Yes, I was bullish on what we might be able to do this year, and if not for a couple of injuries… who knows we might have even had 3 wins by now(Bombers, Pies and Roos) if Day played from Round 1.

But I think the problem we all saw in November of 2023 is still the same problem we have in May of 2024.

We are the second youngest list in the comp, by a very small margin to North. Injuries to best 22 players have a big impact on us, and we have a spine that we simply needed to keep fit to compete well each week.

As a result we’re asking a bit more of our under 50 gamers than we probably should be and their fluctuations in output are more easily seen and ultimately impact the result, but perhaps this is going to provide a steep learning curve that helps them in the coming years.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed that we can get at least 2 of Battle, Melican and Baz, on the back of a healthier list and some better results.
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

You're probably right, but using last year as an example we could have purchased a pick or two in the middle of the first round and used them to trade up for pick 1

No problem with this. Good on him.

Afl teams carrying on like children haha

Really? If one of our players went on some kind of media and talked about the internal machinations and relationships inside another club Id be livid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back