Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Did DGB play def at Box Hill this week?

IMO his best chance to make it is as a third tall forward, taking over Gunston's role.

Second Ruck - Chol/Ramsden
1st tall - Lewis
2nd tall - Dear
3rd tall - DGB

Still got a lot of work to do.

DGB spent the 2nd half in the forward line and barely touched the ball. But we scored 3 goals in the 2nd half so the entire team was failing there.

It would be interesting to know what the actual plans are with him.

Give DGB a month at BH before we jump on the young bloke. Highly touted kpd , sometimes they take a while to get going, worth persisting with.
I would love to see them offer him a 2 year contract and back him in it might be the confidence builder he needs. We can carry him to see if he can make it there’s no rush. We don’t have much of a draft hand this year so keep our group together minimal list changes and hope next year Ward DGB Butler are all best 22 that would really fast track things.

I would love to see them offer him a 2 year contract and back him in it might be the confidence builder he needs. We can carry him to see if he can make it there’s no rush. We don’t have much of a draft hand this year so keep our group together minimal list changes and hope next year Ward DGB Butler are all best 22 that would really fast track things.
Meek is 26 and is only having his real breakout season now.

Denver is 22. Surely deserves at least another year.

I really would love Denver to get settled into a defensive role for the next month at vfl level and play to his strengths using his intercept marking, speed and disposal. I still have hopes that he will turn into a Nathan Murphy type who wasn't overly tall, but was quick, athletic and great in the air.

Murphy was on Collingwood's list for 3yrs before he became a permanent fixture in the seniors, but I agree with most, the rest of the season is crucial for what type of contract he is offered. Lets hope he gets a free run with injury.

One person obliquely mentioned it on the previous page, and four others followed suit, some more definite than others.

He's missed a fair chunk of football. And list decisions will be made by people who are a hell of a lot closer to the action than you or I. If he doesn't make it, well we'll wear it. But not making it is the default position of plenty of posters here.

I obliquely mentioned it because I'm not sure how we would be able to fit all of Battle, Scrimshaw, Sicily, Frost, Blanck, Serong, Weddle (could move further afield) and DGB on the same list?

Signing Battle would mean that there is another similar player, who plays similar roles at both ends, ahead of him on our list. It's obviously a non-starter if we don't sign him though.

One person obliquely mentioned it on the previous page, and four others followed suit, some more definite than others.

He's missed a fair chunk of football. And list decisions will be made by people who are a hell of a lot closer to the action than you or I. If he doesn't make it, well we'll wear it. But not making it is the default position of plenty of posters here.
Every list decision will be made by those same people but if you don’t like people discussing what those decisions might be, I’m not sure an internet forum discussing hypothetical player movement is the place to be.

Very happy to be wrong about it and hope that I am but a lot of players just don’t make it and DGB and Stephens are bottom 2 on the list in my view. If he was not an early pick I don’t think there would be much debate.

Think reeves was a norf fan

Ned's grandfather played 100 games for North Melbourne, albeit it in the 40s-50s, well before Ned was born. Ned's uncle played for Melbourne and Fitzroy, and his cousin played for the Suns, the Cats and the Tigers.

Saints throwing huge offer at Weitering for next year free agency. He would be very very unlikely to leave a contending side for a side that isn’t but if there’s any opening, we should be throwing the cheque book as well. Not far behind Taylor as best key defender

I would definitely give him another year, but as I said, rightly or wrongly that isn’t based on exposed form.
I would love to see him become a solid AFL player.
I had the exact same feelings about Dowler and Thorp as well. No one hopes a high draft pick at their club fails, a few have said based on what he has shown at the club he is looking less likely.
Hope he can turn it around but nobody is basing it off one game at Box Hill, that’s just cheap shotting posters.
Has he ever dominated a game at VFL and looked too good for that level?
Don’t know what we would discuss if we are all meant to think the same

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did DGB play def at Box Hill this week?

IMO his best chance to make it is as a third tall forward, taking over Gunston's role.

Second Ruck - Chol/Ramsden
1st tall - Lewis
2nd tall - Dear
3rd tall - DGB

Still got a lot of work to do.

I can’t see him working as a forward, got to give him another shot at defence.

Liam Jones was 27 when he magically went from potato to almost AA level KPD.

I am fine with giving DGB the rest of the year before worrying about any extension but most of these examples are

A) Generally outliers

B) Showed signs/glimpses - They could at least run out games and have the odd game where they looked okay. DGB barely stands out at VFL most weeks, needs to get stronger, needs to get fitter.

Saints throwing huge offer at Weitering for next year free agency. He would be very very unlikely to leave a contending side for a side that isn’t but if there’s any opening, we should be throwing the cheque book as well. Not far behind Taylor as best key defender

I think with current KP defensive stocks we will be pretty stacked for options.

Blanck, Frost, Weddle, Sicily, Scrimshaw, McCabe, DGB, Phillips.
If we get Battle or Weitering, then DGB, Phillips and maybe even Frost need to go.

If we got Battle and Smith, our side with a clean bill of health starts to look pretty damn good imo. I’m sure I’m missing someone but something like this:

Hardwick - Blanck/Frost - Sicily

Scrimshaw - Battle - Weddle

D’ambrosio - Day - CJ

MacDonald - Lewis - Moore

Ginnivan - Chol - Watson

Meek - Newcombe - Smith

I/C from:
Worpel - Amon - Breust - Dear - Mackenzie - Impey

Next rung:
Wingard/Nash/Hustwaite/Reeves/Ward

Ned's grandfather played 100 games for North Melbourne, albeit it in the 40s-50s, well before Ned was born. Ned's uncle played for Melbourne and Fitzroy, and his cousin played for the Suns, the Cats and the Tigers.
Pretty sure Justin was a norf fan, runs in the family

Remove this Banner Ad

Back