Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

poor management.
Like playing pendles opening round off no pre-season games and in a knee brace leading into the game..
I'm sorry Jen but it's not poor management at all and it's doing a disservice to our strength and conditioning team (including Jarrod Wade) to suggest that. Plantar fasciitis can be managed just fine while still allowing Titch to play - it can take up to twelve months to fully heal and if he's able to play football in that time it makes no sense to totally bench him.

With Mitchell managing a foot issue for the last 9-10 weeks…why have we not used this time to allow him to heal without playing with it and in the same time develop the next player or players with opportunity during this period?

We have somewhat missed a beat here to manage our older players in the way that Geelong have done with their older guys.

poor management.
Like playing pendles opening round off no pre-season games and in a knee brace leading into the game..
First thing I thought too. It's very peculiar. It is win/win resting older injured players and getting games into the next wave.

I'm sorry Jen but it's not poor management at all and it's doing a disservice to our strength and conditioning team (including Jarrod Wade) to suggest that. Plantar fasciitis can be managed just fine while still allowing Titch to play - it can take up to twelve months to fully heal and if he's able to play football in that time it makes no sense to totally bench him.
Didn't know much about until I just started reading and one of the things that the Mayo Clinic suggests is staying away from activities that cause pain. No sure that training and playing is good management if that is the case. Even states that walking may further inflame.

Maybe not so much as a disservice.

Maybe RoyalSampler can chime in with the proper info, but ive had plantar faciiitis for a long time, and it actually starts to play up more when i do less.

Also, Wade is one of the the greatest hires this club has ever made, and once again put us in an excellent position this year. Possibly the last person we should be second guessing right now.

Time to bring out the rolling pin or stand on a step on the balls of your feet and jump backwards as far as you can. The rolling pin is super painful but works well

Also.. just when we thought his injury couldn't get anymore bizarre. First it was dislocated toe, now its a tendon in the toe..
which is not something you hear often.

Yep as soon as they gave the timeline and said it was a dislocated toe, it was obvious it wasn’t just a dislocated toe.

Didn't know much about until I just started reading and one of the things that the Mayo Clinic suggests is staying away from activities that cause pain. No sure that training and playing is good management if that is the case. Even states that walking may further inflame.

Maybe not so much as a disservice.

That advice is not aimed at, and therefore not really applicable to, professional athletes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe RoyalSampler can chime in with the proper info, but ive had plantar faciiitis for a long time, and it actually starts to play up more when i do less.
There are lots of different avenues to combatting plantar fasciitis. What you say about it being worse when you do less does make some sense to me though.

Yes, Robert Harvey famously jumped down from some furniture to deliberately rupture it.

Personally I had cortisone shots in my feet, a short period of relative rest and then got in to a ton of calf and foot strengthening exercises. I found stretching felt good at the time, but did nothing to correct the issue or prevent recurrence.

Wombat is obsessive in the way he prepares, so I’m sure he’ll be as diligent as he needs to be, but if he’s losing the battle in managing it at the moment, he may need a period of rest. The grounds being a bit harder at this time of year, and football boots’ soles being inflexible probably doesn’t help either.

There are lots of different avenues to combatting plantar fasciitis. What you say about it being worse when you do less does make some sense to me though.

Yes, Robert Harvey famously jumped down from some furniture to deliberately rupture it.

Personally I had cortisone shots in my feet, a short period of relative rest and then got in to a ton of calf and foot strengthening exercises. I found stretching felt good at the time, but did nothing to correct the issue or prevent recurrence.

Wombat is obsessive in the way he prepares, so I’m sure he’ll be as diligent as he needs to be, but if he’s losing the battle in managing it at the moment, he may need a period of rest. The grounds being a bit harder at this time of year, and football boots’ soles being inflexible probably doesn’t help either.
Sometimes you just have to try the jumping thing, it does work for some I believe. the old rolling pin really helps but it's very painful

Guess it all depends on whether we trust that Wade & the players know their bodies best. I do.
There a fine line between trust and blind faith.

Fly always talks about being a work in progress and seeking continuous improvement - ergo, his view is that there are things they are doing now that can be changed for the better.

I have seen enough over the last 2.5 years to form the view that managing older players and blooding younger players are both areas that they could improve on. It can be done concurrently too.

Fly always talks about being a work in progress and seeking continuous improvement - ergo, his view is that there are things they are doing now that can be changed for the better.

I have seen enough over the last 2.5 years to form the view that managing older players and blooding younger players are both areas that they could improve on. It can be done concurrently too.
I trust that both Pendles & Mitchell know their bodies and whether they are right to play. It's why they are still playing at this level at their ages.

I also trust that Wade is probably the best at what he does. His time with us speaks for itself. Nothing about the way he prepares our players suggests poor management, imo.

Last edited:

What makes you think that the managing of older players hasn't been done that well - our oldies have had a bit of a fountain of youth thing going on during that time. I'd be checking the swimming pool for alien coccoons.

I trust that both Pendles & Mitchell know their bodies and whether are right to play. It's why they are still playing at this level at their ages.

I also trust that Wade is probably the best at what he does. His time with us speaks for itself. Nothing about the way he prepares our players suggests poor management, imo.
I'm sure they are "right to play". I am suggesting that having more rest could provide additional benefit at times. You disagree, which is fine.

However, without wanting to derail the thread, what about getting games into younger players? Getting subbed on in the last quarter isn't enough to acclimate them or us to judge them.

Remember back in 2006-2009: Pendles, Thomas, Steele, Reid, Brown and Beams were all playing almost every game as 18-21 year olds. Outside of Nick Daicos, we are not getting games into any of our 18-21 year olds: Fin, Reef, Allan, HH or Ryan. Maybe they are not that good, but until we test them properly I don't know how we can judge.

What makes you think that the managing of older players hasn't been done that well - our oldies have had a bit of a fountain of youth thing going on during that time. I'd be checking the swimming pool for alien coccoons.
Inconsistent form is one clear data point. Last year, Titch, Adams, WHE, Steele, Crisp and even Pendles had real down patches and looked very slow.

I am suggesting, just like Fly is, that things can always be improved upon. I bet he doesn't look back and say "we were right last year, we'll always do it that way now, no question."

If you want to believe every decision the coaching staff make is 100% correct and incontestable, then feel free.

I'm sure they are "right to play". I am suggesting that having more rest could provide additional benefit at times. You disagree, which is fine.

However, without wanting to derail the thread, what about getting games into younger players? Getting subbed on in the last quarter isn't enough to acclimate them or us to judge them.

Remember back in 2006-2009: Pendles, Thomas, Steele, Reid, Brown and Beams were all playing almost every game as 18-21 year olds. Outside of Nick Daicos, we are not getting games into any of our 18-21 year olds: Fin, Reef, Allan, HH or Ryan. Maybe they are not that good, but until we test them properly I don't know how we can judge.
I think you hit the nail in the head..

'maybe they are not that good'. Yet

Fin & Reef need to perform when given the opportunity. Harvey did.

Allan is nowhere near ready for selection. And Ryan has been injured.

And from memory, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, Mitchell have all been subbed at various stages this year, which is part of being managed. All the older players don't come back to training during the preseason with the rest of the squad & I'm sure their loads would be managed differently during the week anyway....precisely so they can play on match day.

Inconsistent form is one clear data point. Last year, Titch, Adams, WHE, Steele, Crisp and even Pendles had real down patches and looked very slow.

We finished top with our oldies peaking in the finals. No idea how you'd look at last year and suggest we didn't manage those guys magnificently.

Much as I’d like to be wrong, none of Fin, Reef, etc are a patch on the 2006-2009 players you identify, who of course also formed the core of our 2010 flag.

Pretty much without exception, the earlier group performed at a higher level when given a chance in the seniors, than the later group. I remember with fondness - and awe - the early games of Beams, Pendles, Sidey etc.

I’ve not experienced any ‘awe’ with the latest crop. More like hope.

The earlier guys were also mostly higher draft picks.

Much as I’d like to be wrong, none of Fin, Reef, etc are a patch on the 2006-2009 players you identify, who of course also formed the core of our 2010 flag.

Pretty much without exception, the earlier group performed at a higher level when given a chance in the seniors, than the later group. I remember with fondness - and awe - the early games of Beams, Pendles, Sidey etc.

I’ve not experienced any ‘awe’ with the latest crop. More like hope.

The earlier guys were also mostly higher draft picks.
I absolutely recall flashes of talent, but also periods of looking overmatched in their first 20-30 games. None of them dominated early and all looked more like good/great players after 3 years of playing most games in the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back