Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Allen is great. I wanted us to get him back in the day.

It’s a shame he’s playing for a dysfunctional wreck of a club.

Yeah he's the real deal, I was keen on him too based on what I heard Brad Johnson say about him in his draft year. Takes a good grab, provides good contest even when he's out of position and can pressure at ground level too. Effort is always high, he's unselfish and on top of all that he's very good at converting. Top young player.

Such a shame for players like this when their biggest weakness is the jumper they have to pull on, even worse for Oscar is that he's likely to be Skipper next year so he's pretty much got a life sentence. The good thing for us is that we can enjoy watching him play and do well and not worry about him hurting us too much so its good from that POV. If they were decent I'd have to manufacture reasons to hate on him.;)

I can't be bothered looking it up but would he be there last good draft pick?

Last edited:
thank god for Joey, sick to death of hearing from david king implying that his criticism led to some gameplan change for us. half these 'analysts' dead set dont have a clue and just jump on a simple narrative seemingly without even watching us play, and then even some of our own supporters back that smh
King is a W 1686203782198.jpeg

Was thinking about this. How larkey and Allan are both excelling in poor teams.

Now, they’re both great players, and would love either one at the club, however is it at all reasonable to think that they are doing well, due to the lack of other options around them? Or they are the main and sometimes only target?

Was thinking about this. How larkey and Allan are both excelling in poor teams.

Now, they’re both great players, and would love either one at the club, however is it at all reasonable to think that they are doing well, due to the lack of other options around them? Or they are the main and sometimes only target?
I think Allen in particular would be elite in any team. While he's the only option it also basically never gets in there, what he's doing is incredible.

The real question is given the state of each club and age of each player, if you could swap Amiss for Allen, would you do it?

I think Allen in particular would be elite in any team. While he's the only option it also basically never gets in there, what he's doing is incredible.

The real question is given the state of each club and age of each player, if you could swap Amiss for Allen, would you do it?
I'm sticking with Amiss. Given what Allen was doing as a 19 yo, he may end up better. The extra 5 years is also worth a heap.

Interesting question. In a complete vacuum where the human element is removed and things like club culture etc ignored I'd be very tempted indeed. Mostly because I think Oscar is going to be slightly stronger, a better grab and a threat from deeper out when shooting at goals. But each of those only by a hair.

Seeing we live in the real world and human elements, team culture and other intangibles exist I'd be a definitely not.

I would however do Oscar Allen for Bailey Banfield in a heartbeat ;).

I'm sticking with Amiss. Given what Allen was doing as a 19 yo, he may end up better. The extra 5 years is also worth a heap.
I'd argue the extra 5 years into Allen is actually what's the most valuable to us. Regardless of who has a better career, both look certifiably elite. Maybe Amiss is slightly better over his career but would sacrificing that not be worth it to line up our KPFs prime with the rest of the group perfectly?
Interesting question. In a complete vacuum where the human element is removed and things like club culture etc ignored I'd be very tempted indeed. Mostly because I think Oscar is going to be slightly stronger, a better grab and a threat from deeper out when shooting at goals. But each of those only by a hair.

Seeing we live in the real world and human elements, team culture and other intangibles exist I'd be a definitely not.

I would however do Oscar Allen for Bailey Banfield in a heartbeat ;).
Oh yeah, real world it becomes not a thing short of some bizarro land where both request a trade. Apart from just starting a discussion, it's interesting that I think you could argue that due to their ages the best thing for both clubs would be swapping the two if they could because WC are doing nothing for the next 5 years and we're doing everything (hopefully).

I'd argue the extra 5 years into Allen is actually what's the most valuable to us. Regardless of who has a better career, both look certifiably elite. Maybe Amiss is slightly better over his career but would sacrificing that not be worth it to line up our KPFs prime with the rest of the group perfectly?

Oh yeah, real world it becomes not a thing short of some bizarro land where both request a trade. Apart from just starting a discussion, it's interesting that I think you could argue that due to their ages the best thing for both clubs would be swapping the two if they could because WC are doing nothing for the next 5 years and we're doing everything (hopefully).
When you have elite players, they slot in at nearly any age. Look at Jonathon Brown, was a baby in their three peat but still impacted. I'm confident that our depth of talent is going to get us there and for an extended run at it.

In 5 years we might only need another 5-6 good players to replace the oldest ones now for another go. The core of the group will only be 26-29. Amiss will be 24.

Think you're overrating winning in the short term. We're not in a rush and the hardest thing to replace are KPFs. Much rather have an extra 5 years than a better player for the next 1-2 years.

Can easily see Amiss being a 50 goal forward as early as next year anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carrot farmer
Fact check:

• Amiss at 196cm at the start of the season is the same height as Buddy. Terribly worded, he means when Buddy arrived at Hawthorn but having a graphic underneath with Buddy at 199cm is misleading.
  • Amiss is averaging 1.5 goals per game, 19 divided by 10 is 1.9 goals per game this season, or 23 divided by 13 is 1.77 on career average.
  • 4.2 score involvements, try 4.9 season and 4.8 career.

And I am sure that is just the most obvious ones.

These statistics are freely available to the public, let alone 'journalists'

Think you're overrating winning in the short term. We're not in a rush and the hardest thing to replace are KPFs. Much rather have an extra 5 years than a better player for the next 1-2 years.

Can easily see Amiss being a 50 goal forward as early as next year anyway.

Given the list of players kicking more than Jye's 1.9 goals a game at the same age stretches to Jeremy Cameron and Jesse Hogan only, I wouldn't swap Jye for anyone in the league.

The fact he can kick straight is even better

Allen is great. I wanted us to get him back in the day.

It’s a shame he’s playing for a dysfunctional wreck of a club.

I taught Oscar Allen at Uni, I might have sent him an email or two that had a PS at the end encouraging him to wear Purple. He never responded :( I also taught the GOAT himself in Bailey Banfield when he was playing WAFL. Gave him an extension because he played for the mighty tigers (not really, but I did tell him that was why I was giving him the extension).

Probably the one and only time a West article has brought tears to my eyes.
Superb! Great journalism isn't dead!

I must admit I sat down and bored my partner senseless with a diatribe about Fyfe before the start of the year.
She's intimately informed about the lore of Fyfe from my readings and interpretations over the years.

I more or less said that a champion like Fyfe deserves more than to go out of the game with unfinished business.
Of course the ultimate manifestation of that is a premiership but I said all I want is for him to be able to play the game the way he can unencumbered by his body and successfully conquer the demons that have infested his heart and head around goal kicking since the 2013 GF.

Fyfe's brilliance and his curse is his very high intelligence which manifests in several domains, general IQ, footy smarts and emotional intelligence. Obviously he sets incredibly high standards for himself and has iron discipline but he's a bit too smart not to perceive things beyond the range of what he needs to excel in the game and once the demons got in they've turned him inside out for many years now.

I have no doubt he's approached it like everything else in his life, trying anything and everything to find answers to how he can play the game with his natural ability but not take it so seriously that he chokes when he's triggered (kicking for goal).

I just want to see him taking big marks, making others look like children in the scrimmages and most of all sinking set shots with ease.

Going back to the middle makes things easier in some ways, I hope he can continue to build and play to the best of his ability in the time he has left. If he does and our kids and team in general continue on the current trajectory and the stars align then we just might get back to the last day in September.

I must admit I sat down and bored my partner senseless with a diatribe about Fyfe before the start of the year.
She's intimately informed about the lore of Fyfe from my readings and interpretations over the years.

I more or less said that a champion like Fyfe deserves more than to go out of the game with unfinished business.
Of course the ultimate manifestation of that is a premiership but I said all I want is for him to be able to play the game the way he can unencumbered by his body and successfully conquer the demons that have infested his heart and head around goal kicking since the 2013 GF.
So what I hear you saying is you want something like this .....

2023 GF
A close fought battle between Collingwood and Freo, Collingwood kick a goal with 10 seconds to go to put them 3 points ahead. The ball returns to the centre, Darcy taps to Brayshaw who blindly roosts it into the forward 50, there's a pack contesting the mark when suddenly Fyfe rises from behind everyone, towers over Treacy to pull in a screamer. The siren sounds, Fyfe is kicking from 30m out on a 45 degree angle. The tv graphic shows he is going at 15% accuracy from this part of the ground. Every Freo supporter is hiding behing whatever couches they can find, the Pies supporters have started celebrating, they know Fyfe can't kick this. He lines up for a drop punt, changes his mind and decides to kick it around the corner. The umpire warns him he can't cross past the mark or he will end the game, the commentators are bemoaning his lack of set shots at goals. He walks in 3 steps and snaps, the ball drops wierdly and he doesn't make great contact but the ball is still heading vaguely goalwards, but its slightly off target, its going to hit the post. Suddenly a wind blows across the G, and pushes the ball back on target and through the big sticks and Freo win by 3!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back