Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It makes sense that we're not that good on fast footy through the corridor as we don't usually do it. It takes practice and we haven't prioritised it.

I suspect it will evolve over the years and then we'll have gears/modes because we've already shown we can control the ball. The infamous "plan B".

Also, I am pretty sure both Brisbane and Sydney are counter examples to "uncontested mark ball movement doesn't work in finals" given they are recent grand finalists. Admittedly the Swans got nowhere near winning on the day but Geelong were excellent that year.

I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with uncontested marking when the opposition defense is set. I think we should be trying to go fast on turnover when they are not (which we clearly don't do all the time).

Yeah kicking to an unmanned player is perfectly ok. as long as those who are manned up are doing their best to break free or to lead their opposition player away from the real leading player.

Creating space for a forward to lead into is an art in itself. i think sometimes our forward line gets too crowded. it looks amazing when Amiss and Treacy have space.

It makes sense that we're not that good on fast footy through the corridor as we don't usually do it. It takes practice and we haven't prioritised it.

I suspect it will evolve over the years and then we'll have gears/modes because we've already shown we can control the ball. The infamous "plan B".

Also, I am pretty sure both Brisbane and Sydney are counter examples to "uncontested mark ball movement doesn't work in finals" given they are recent grand finalists. Admittedly the Swans got nowhere near winning on the day but Geelong were excellent that year.

I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with uncontested marking when the opposition defense is set. I think we should be trying to go fast on turnover when they are not (which we clearly don't do all the time).
We may go forward quicker, more often, once the faith is there that the forward line will win more contests than they lose. Still young and developing.

We may go forward quicker, more often, once the faith is there that the forward line will win more contests than they lose. Still young and developing.
Yes I agree 100%.

The other one is once the defenders/mids are all confident to take the first kick/handball receive quickly. Often if you miss the first option the opportunity passes.

I think it's always been part of the plan but we're still developing and as a result, we tend to take the safer option. Once the confidence is there amongst the group I'll think we'll do it much more often.

The other one is once the defenders/mids are all confident to take the first kick/handball receive quickly. Often if you miss the first option the opportunity passes.

I think it was Montagna on the mid week rub mentioned that is something we have been doing a lot more the last 2 weeks compared to the first month.

He also said he is doing a bit on us tonight on what I assume is AFL 360 if anyone wants to watch out for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Follows a pretty familiar route in most interviews with Vicco media

• talk about whatever the topic is they were brought on to talk about (Purple hands game in this case)
  • But Freo… how good are you really? Where is the team at? We don’t really know, do we? (Aka we don’t pay attention to the Dockers here)
  • Something about defensive footy
  • Ummm better wrap it up that’s all we can think of

Joey is hands down my favourite media pundit.

Aside from having heard of us and all of our players, and giving us a fair go, he's also not a moron and actually thinks before he speaks on camera. His commentary on other sides is usually pretty good too.
He was our forward scout talent wise for a few years and may still have a role club wise.
I thought we used the inside on Saturday. We over did it in the third quarter, but corrected it in the last.

Follows a pretty familiar route in most interviews with Vicco media

• talk about whatever the topic is they were brought on to talk about (Purple hands game in this case)
  • But Freo… how good are you really? Where is the team at? We don’t really know, do we? (Aka we don’t pay attention to the Dockers here)
  • Something about defensive footy
  • Ummm better wrap it up that’s all we can think of
Yes there was a bit of tokenism about it for sure.

Robbo slobbering and Weasel Wheatley nodding in agreement.

Fremantle Dockers coach Justin Longmuir admits concerns for Sam Switkowski amid concussion issues​

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir admits he has concerns over Sam Switkowski with the forward “no guarantee” to play against Sydney after missing three games with lingering concussion symptoms.
Switkowski went into protocols following the round five clash with Port Adelaide and hasn’t featured since, with ongoing symptoms keeping him out of the side against West Coast, Western Bulldogs and Richmond.
Asked if he was concerned about the 27-year-old, Longmuir admitted: “A little bit.”
“Concussion, when they drag on, it’s never ideal and you always get concerned,” Longmuir said.
“He’s only missed three games, we’ll see how it goes... He’s showing some good signs week-to-week during running sessions and during meetings, all those sorts of things. He’s just got to get through the contact part.”
Switkowski trained with the main group on Wednesday and was involved in match simulation, a positive sign for his availability.
Longmuir was confident the 73-gamer would be able to come straight back into the starting side, rather than ease him in through the sub role, should he be passed fit.
“He’s done all the running, he’s done a lot of skill work so he shouldn’t have lost any touch or fitness. That hasn’t been an issue at all,” Longmuir said.
“The way he’s been training, he’s been really sharp, it’s just been how he’s been pulling up from training which is a little bit of a concern.”
The Dockers are hopeful Sean Darcy will be fit to play after he was subbed out with calf tightness against Richmond.
The ruckman did not train on Wednesday but the Dockers have another session on Thursday before the club’s clash with Sydney at Optus Stadium on Friday.
“We think he’ll get up,” Longmuir said. “We’re pretty confident he’ll be right.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back