Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In light of all the over the top celebration of Gather Round (looking at you Whately) - I hope the WA clubs are absolutely breathing fire down the neck of the AFL regarding an extra home game next year. Absolutely a joke if the SA teams get an extra game at home as the result of a novelty round.
Big $$$ paid by SA govt to AFL for this - and $$$ always king for the afl, fairness openly acknowledged as not a priority at all

He is becoming more unlikeable. A good caller play by play, but less likeable during the week. A certain smugness and a growing FIGJAM type attitude over the last two to three years.

While he has had great success, it is getting tiresome.
Well when Hutchy paid him a bomb to call horse racing, cricket, NFL his ego got was always going to get out control.

He thinks he is the best caller in the country now as Hutchy has to justify the price tag to give him the big events.

From 17:10 - Gerard can be such a smarmy little snot sometimes. Laughing at JLo complaining about Amiss's treatment as if the only complaint was that he was occasionally being held. Completely ignoring the scragging, wrestling to the ground, knee to the throat etc.

He is becoming more unlikeable. A good caller play by play, but less likeable during the week. A certain smugness and a growing FIGJAM type attitude over the last two to three years.

While he has had great success, it is getting tiresome.
Couldnt agree more with this. The guy is unbearable. His voice is so nasally too I can’t listen to it. He reminds me of the high sparrow from game of thrones the way he carries on like a sanctimonious git.

He’s definitely got a seriously highly opinion of himself. Hate the way non ex-playing media insert themselves and their opinions into coverage as if their thoughts on the game carry the same weight as ex players.
I dont give a crap what the following people think as they never experienced an elite sporting environment and their opinions carry no more weight than a random BF poster.

Whateley
Edmund
MaClure
Morris
Maher
Gossage
Barrett

Stop giving us football opinions guys - we are not interested. You know nothing more about a winning AFL team than a random punter on hay street mall.

Regarding amiss being held and scragged - yes it’s happening and it’s frustrating. But I dont expect much sympathy from the umps and other defenders will go to town on him now.
The simple fact is he’s still too skinny. Needs to bulk up substantially in the off season. Grappling is a part of the game unfortunately.
He is still too light in my opinion. Amiss needs to get on the move more and avoid playing the same style that Hawkins etc have perfected. He’s more of a cameron type.

they wont know what to say if Freo wins tomorrow

Yes, they do. It'll be "Sydney didn't play to their standards" or "Sydney had to travel all the way across the country" or any other crap excuse that gives Freo zero credit for a win. If Freo win you won't hear "Freo announce themselves to the comp with a convincing win over the #1 team". I have a few buddies who have been watching the games with me recently and know little about the AFL and even they can see the lopsidedness of the commentary. I'm fine with it since it's what gives Freo part of their image/appeal as the underdog of the comp. It'll make it all that much sweeter when we win a flag and watch the Vic commentator's heads explode on live TV. 🤣

Yes, they do. It'll be "Sydney didn't play to their standards" or "Sydney had to travel all the way across the country" or any other crap excuse that gives Freo zero credit for a win. If Freo win you won't hear "Freo announce themselves to the comp with a convincing win over the #1 team". I have a few buddies who have been watching the games with me recently and know little about the AFL and even they can see the lopsidedness of the commentary. I'm fine with it since it's what gives Freo part of their image/appeal as the underdog of the comp. It'll make it all that much sweeter when we win a flag and watch the Vic commentator's heads explode on live TV. 🤣

This is generally true, but I feel that this year Montagna has had a more prominent role in the media and has been talking us up big time. We've also had a few mentions on programs like on the couch. If we take down Sydney I feel like we will start to be talked about as a contender

When we win consistently against top teams the media will notice . And we must stop losing to bottom 8 teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that is bizarre, and incredibly pretentious, arrogant and insensitive of her.

Firstly - she doesn't know the circumstance around his passing. I'm sure it's very complicated, so for her to think she has a reason 3-4 days afterwards is very arrogant and insensitive.

Secondly, to insinuate that Perth has a toxic and drug culture as opposed to Sydney or Melbourne is ignorant and pretentious. Does she assume our whole squad is off the rails? And is she not aware of the issues Melbourne has been dealing with in the last 24 months.

The respectful thing for her to do, is to acknowledge the passing, and the man Cam was. Leave the rest of it alone. You can touch on the need to support players post their career. But that's it.

Just wow. Caroline Wilson on Dardy and Perth. Unless I’m missing something here, she’s blaming Perth lifestyle for the tragic death View attachment 1988210

There’s a lot of “maybe” and “I think” in there. A bit different if she was talking about a player being traded or a coach getting the sack. But this is an extremely emotional subject matter about a young man who has taken his own life. She needs to do better and should be called out for this.

Fremantle Dockers coach Justin Longmuir admits concerns for Sam Switkowski amid concussion issues​

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir admits he has concerns over Sam Switkowski with the forward “no guarantee” to play against Sydney after missing three games with lingering concussion symptoms.
Switkowski went into protocols following the round five clash with Port Adelaide and hasn’t featured since, with ongoing symptoms keeping him out of the side against West Coast, Western Bulldogs and Richmond.
Asked if he was concerned about the 27-year-old, Longmuir admitted: “A little bit.”
“Concussion, when they drag on, it’s never ideal and you always get concerned,” Longmuir said.
“He’s only missed three games, we’ll see how it goes... He’s showing some good signs week-to-week during running sessions and during meetings, all those sorts of things. He’s just got to get through the contact part.”
Switkowski trained with the main group on Wednesday and was involved in match simulation, a positive sign for his availability.
Longmuir was confident the 73-gamer would be able to come straight back into the starting side, rather than ease him in through the sub role, should he be passed fit.
“He’s done all the running, he’s done a lot of skill work so he shouldn’t have lost any touch or fitness. That hasn’t been an issue at all,” Longmuir said.
“The way he’s been training, he’s been really sharp, it’s just been how he’s been pulling up from training which is a little bit of a concern.”
The Dockers are hopeful Sean Darcy will be fit to play after he was subbed out with calf tightness against Richmond.
The ruckman did not train on Wednesday but the Dockers have another session on Thursday before the club’s clash with Sydney at Optus Stadium on Friday.
“We think he’ll get up,” Longmuir said. “We’re pretty confident he’ll be right.”
and while were talking concussion...
Austin Roberson Jr reminds us all!
One part af the good old days we want erased from the game!
We need full commitment to protect the head at every level of the game.
I am pleased at the caution in bringing Switta back.
I am pleased at JLs advocacy for Amiss, hes copping the modern version of "made him earn it".
And CEO Dillon is continuing the gutless farce of championing the independence of Club doctors after Jeremy Camerons delayed concussion.
Club Doctors are just that.

Just wow. Caroline Wilson on Dardy and Perth. Unless I’m missing something here, she’s blaming Perth lifestyle for the tragic death View attachment 1988210
Ive always been interested in what Caros had to say.
And shes been a trail blazer. Battling against misogyny all the way!
But this is beneath contempt!
Shame on you Caroline Wilson!

There’s a lot of “maybe” and “I think” in there. A bit different if she was talking about a player being traded or a coach getting the sack. But this is an extremely emotional subject matter about a young man who has taken his own life. She needs to do better and should be called out for this.
Remember you asked why people don't like her? She doesn't have a clue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back