Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I just checked the podcast list. For May, Duffield has been on Mondays to Wednesdays, but there's no podcast for today, and they usually put it up quite soon after the broadcast.

Maybe they schedule his shows around racing programs which seems to be their main gig. I know it's not a daily full week program and sometimes he only does an hour, sometimes he does 2 hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge’s discussion of Darcy V Jackson on SEN is a tale of two halves. He shows the possessions when Jackson plays with Darcy vs the games without and shows the drop off when Darcy is in the team. This is a valid argument only slightly damaged by the sample size of both playing this season being so low.

However the analysis completely falls apart when he talks about scoreboard impact. He mentions score involvements stay the same which is true (5 with, 6 without).

However he says 4 goals for Jackson with Darcy and 4 for Jackson without Darcy. He completely forgets about averages for this part as he’s basically just shown that Jackson averages 1.3 goals a game with Darcy and 0.6 without Darcy. This is a big difference of 16 goals a year. I think it’s an honest mistake but it torpedoes his argument (that Jackson impacts the scoreboard the same with or without Darcy but plays much better as an individual without Darcy).

The actual analysis’s suggests Jackson can have more touches playing solo ruck but kicks more goals with Darcy in the team. At that point it’s a completely different argument to what Hodge is saying. Basically it’s now an argument of whether the Dockers are getting enough bang for buck when playing both as opposed to just keeping one or the other.

Luke Hodge’s discussion of Darcy V Jackson on SEN is a tale of two halves. He shows the possessions when Jackson plays with Darcy vs the games without and shows the drop off when Darcy is in the team. This is a valid argument only slightly damaged by the sample size of both playing this season being so low.

However the analysis completely falls apart when he talks about scoreboard impact. He mentions score involvements stay the same which is true (5 with, 6 without).

However he says 4 goals for Jackson with Darcy and 4 for Jackson without Darcy. He completely forgets about averages for this part as he’s basically just shown that Jackson averages 1.3 goals a game with Darcy and 0.6 without Darcy. This is a big difference of 16 goals a year. I think it’s an honest mistake but it torpedoes his argument (that Jackson impacts the scoreboard the same with or without Darcy but plays much better as an individual without Darcy).

The actual analysis’s suggests Jackson can have more touches playing solo ruck but kicks more goals with Darcy in the team. At that point it’s a completely different argument to what Hodge is saying. Basically it’s now an argument of whether the Dockers are getting enough bang for buck when playing both as opposed to just keeping one or the other.
I don't have any hard evidence, but my gut tells me there's a good chance both Darcy and Dogga kick more goals when the other is playing.

The thing that Hodge and Cornes don't mention is young ruckmen break down all the time. Jackson is only 22yrs old so is about 3yrs away from being able to hold down the solo ruck spot for an extended period.

For the most part I agree, but when he says things like no night away games it means that we'll stop getting night home games here for the same reason.

Sat night is obviously the best timeslot at Optus so would be stupid to lose that
I mean, the Grand Final is an afternoon game sooo...

What Academy prospects do we have coming through in the next 2 years?

There'll be something we get given for appeasement. Won't be what we've publicly asked for.

JL has also spoken of soft cap increases for the WA clubs to help with the extra travel load (recovery & prep, more experienced coaches).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back